Choosing a Mac for Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Trapper777, Apr 2, 2014.

1. "Moral Objection" LOL.
  2. It is not cheating in any way. It is your hardware, and it is your software that you have to pay for (a friend usually uses their Mac to create an install USB), so as long as you are not doing anything illegal, there is no cheating. Also, if you intend to record or do video, Nvidia is better for that, and I have heard that some of the new Macs use AMD cards. If you are going to get a Mac, maybe consider comparing benchmarks of year old systems with Nvidia vs the new ones with AMD.
    Jimbonothing64 and Monster_ like this.
  3. OR you could go the Linux route... LINUX <3
    boozle628 likes this.
  4. You probably don't need an iMac, because before Christmas this year I was using a 27" iMac from 2013 and I was getting a solid 150 FPS on a newly generated world.
    Also, my sister has a MacBook Air, which runs minecraft fine at a good 60 frames per second.
  5. So I did do some more research and it is against the eula to make one. As i said before, i have never made one but i thought it would be legit seeing as they are so common and Openly discussed. This may not have much to do with the thread but i am throwing it out there just so others will know although whether you make one is up to how you feel about the issue.
    Back on topic, i have a friend with an older macbook that can run minecraft perfectly so you should be alright with whatever you choose. Minecraft isn't very intensive.
  6. A Mac Pro is meant to be a server, so that's why it uses a Xeon.
    I must be doing something wrong, because I average 20fps most of the time on mine...
  7. Not all Macbook Air's are created equal :p
    jkjkjk182 and mba2012 like this.
  8. Well, I'm running the 2011 model, so it's likely not as good :p
    cddm95ace likes this.
  9. LOL. Meant to be a server? Nahhh man. They sell Mac Servers separate. Not to mention that if you had a Mac Pro as a server you'd have ridiculous thermal issues, it's WAY too small. That and it doesn't even fit on a rack.
  10. Same goes for jailbreaking iPods/iPhones. The EULA can't determine legality, it is more of a "we don't want you to do this, so we will put this fancy thing here to try to deter you from doing it".
    Gadget_AD and Monster_ like this.
  11. It's because you're using their software on a product that you didn't over pay for. You're still paying for the OS licensing so really they can't do anything about it lol. Hackintosh is meh though, I'd personally just go Windows or Linux because resource utilization is better.
  12. You don't get Apples product line do you. The Mac Pro is built to be a server, there is no specific server variant of it. Unlike the Mac Mini, as apple sells the Mac Mini Server, which is specifically built to be a server.

About it's thermal issues, you've obviously never seen a cutaway of it. The computer components are located on what I'll call panels and these are arranged around what Apple calls a thermal core. Basically this is just a hollow area in the middle. At the top of the device is a fan, and it just pumps air through this hollow area. And it's keeps it amazingly cool.

And it's not designed to fit on a rack, because it's meant to be a personal computer/server that sits somewhere that everyone can see and admire it. If you want an industrial grade server, then you need to spend the extra few thousand and get a proper Linux server that sites on a rack.
  13. Well, I have 2 computers which are very good. Ones a PC I built myself and I also have an iMac :D IMacs are incredibly reliable and very fast in my opinion, the worst thing is the way it's set out which is extremely hard to use that's why I took mine to my uncle who owns a company that works with computers and he installed windows 7 on it, so now I can switch between mac and windows operating systems which is brilliant so I recommend doing that. :) PC's are also very good too but it's all down to what you will be doing with your computer. I really don't know about recording with iMacs for I've never done it before but it should be ok and the fps is very good on mine. At Jacks event a few nights ago people were getting 8-10 fps when he spawned in 100 zombies but I was getting 30-35 then went back up to 50-70 after they were spawned in :)

Hope it helps :)
    mba2012 likes this.
  14. It violates Apple's EULA. I have a hackintosh, I paid for snow leopard disk and I paid for mountain lion upgrade.
    Yes, Linux is best. What is your favorite distro? My favorite is #! Crunchbang
  15. Not even lol. I don't admire Apples products because they're ridiculously expensive for something that you can get for way cheaper. Not to mention their cult like brand following that thinks they're better than everyone else because they have a $4000 computer that they'll never bring to it's true potential and spent mommy and daddies money on.

If it was meant to be home server than you would realistically get something way more cost effective.
    Apple is just in it for the dollar figure and they just want to take advantage of people who don't know how to build their own custom PCs/Servers.

I'd say this is more of a Workstation computer than a Server or Home computer in general.
    But either way you put it, the price is laughable. You can build a Home Hackintosh Server for like $2,000 USD that outputs way better performance than the Mac Pro. And you can also build a Home PC or Workstation PC for WAY cheaper than this $4000 price tag.

Not to mention that Mac Servers are almost useless when you can just use Server 2008 or Server 2012 that allocates and utilizes Network Resources way better than a Mac Server. Not to mention the ADDS support on Mac Servers is complete junk.

Not to mention if he's just looking to play minecraft and record and edit, there's way more cost effective means of doing this.

TLDR: Anyone is just better off just building their own Workstation/Server/Home PC/JBOD SAN
  16. Linux Mint has my heart <3
  17. Have you ever used any others? For what reasons do you prefer Mint?
  18. At least the Mac cult doesn't go around personifying everyone with a PC as poor ;)
    cddm95ace likes this.
  19. I've used some weird Server distro in class, but I can't remember what one it was. And Mint is the only one that was really recommended to me. I've used it for a while now and I just like the resource utilization. Not to mention the modularity of it.
  20. Lol ok. I don't know why I'm spending my time arguing with a 12 year old. Ignored. PEACE BRUH.