Arugmentative Short Essay - Why Video Games can be good for you.

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by NetherSpecter, Aug 7, 2014.

1. So sometimes I feel like writing, but I don't just write short episodes of a series. Sometimes I enjoy writing essays, and while, most of you might not find this interesting it pertains to everyone who plays video games obsessively. I'm for the pro side. :p (Of course)

Most gamers are children who are 12-17 years old, parents and older siblings might look at video games as being a waste of time or bad for their children/relatives. This is not always the case however think of a piano player who spends all day playing his chosen instrument, one might consider him an aspiring musician, now look at a football player who spends 12 hours a day practicing, some might see a uprising athlete. but look at a teen who spends hours a day figuring out how to solve the intricacies of a sophisticated video game and people who call him maladjusted, how does that make sense?

Douglas Gentile, director of the Media Research Lab at Iowa State University, states that "Games are natural teachers, what they teach us depends on their content. If the content is violent, a child will learn." But not all games are violent, there are many games that can help improve a child's education, I'll use Mojang's Minecraft game as an example. A game meant to be played online and help develop social interaction also improves hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, and help inspire a creative mind. Not all games are bad, if applied correctly they can be used to teach more than textbooks and workbooks can.

There are many problems with playing video games such as obesity or damaged tendons, but these can be easily refutable. Obesity is a choice in over half of people who play video games every hour has a chance to raise obesity, but there are exercise games such as Dance, Dance Revolution for the Xbox Kinect or Xbox Sports. These games can be applied to be academic and self learning. By playing Dance, Dance Revolution, gamers help recognize the set moves and then repeat them, how is this any different than a P.E teacher who tells his/her students to start jumping jacks?

Damaged Tendons are a major problem in most video gamers. Also known as "Nintendo Thumb" this issue can be easily rectified and if one wanted to, justified. "Nintendo Thumb" is simply a condition in unmonitored gaming, by allowing children to play the same game over and over again they are exposed to damaged tendons in their hands and fingers. But look at it this way. A man sits in his cubicle all day filing different folders for his company and sits on his phone all day staring at thousands of lines of information that flies across his screen. His job is to pick out certain lines that are beneficial to his line of work and file them away. What's the difference between sitting there or at a desk playing a video game talking to people who actually have something in common with you?

"Most children sit on the floor playing games, or on their beds, or in chairs that are generally too big for them," says physiotherapist Wendy Emberson. "If they were at work, health and safety officers would have a field day!"
  2. Just a side note, like most people who write essays I write mine in 25 minutes or less. This includes a small outline :p
  3. Awesome, I hope you don't mind if I but in a little. Love your post btw, its totally interesting to me how people think. This is all your own content/thoughts?
    Anyhow here goes, please comment back with anything you agree or disagree on!

Well, the difference is the 'game' portion of it. An instrument is typically used by an artist. Sports and athletics have been around since the dawn of time, so already integrated as 'acceptable'. Video games have only recently come to fruition, however "games" have been around also since the dawn of time.
    Most video games are not much more than a game with predetermined outcomes.
    Most are not much more than advanced puzzles that require a bit of skill to 'win' the game.
    Most instruments create something seen as 'productive'. An architects or interior designers 'instrument' is a mouse, keyboard, and a computer, which in turn creates designs utilized in the real world which is productive.
    It would be a weak case arguing that a high score of super mario bros.3 would classify as 'productive'.
    So, productive = acceptable. Non-productive = non-acceptable.

Games can indeed teach. Look at chess, checkers, polo, handball, soccer...etc... Today's 'games' are of the technological kind, or the 'video' kind.

As with anything, it can either be a tool or a weapon. The use depends on the user.
    "what they teach us depends on their content" Also depends on the users interpretation. Similar to Art.
    Education can be had with video games. I used HALO 3 to teach my son how to read. He loved playing video games at an early age, so with supervision, it was allowed. He forced himself to read, as I stopped reading all the text to him, about what to do, and what missions he needed to do. He was self motivated because it became fun for him to do, instead of seeing the challenge like work. Today, he can read anything you can toss at him. (still needs handwriting skills as the keyboard is no substitute here)
    And while games could be used to teach more than textbooks/workbooks, I really have yet to see this happen. People play games for fun, not to learn.
    As for the whole "A game meant to be played online and help develop social interaction also improves hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, and help inspire a creative mind." I don't buy much of this... Socializing develops social skills. Online socializing is not what happens in the real world. If it was, when my son is out, he would be punching people in the face, stealing cars, running from the police and kneeling repeatedly up and down on the face of players he just knocked out/killed...while at the same time talking trash to anybody that opposed him. Naturally if there was any indication that he could not distinguish 'video gaming' behavior compared to 'real life' behavior it would have been dealt with. He knows the difference and I really do not buy the whole 'video games' can solely be responsible for violent streaks. Violence has been around well before microchips were even conceived of. It happens. It is part of life. Adapt and overcome.
    Forget hand-eye coordination (more like thumb-eye coordination). Maybe for the attention to detail but definitely it can be used for creativity.

Video games or not, obesity is an issue in of itself. The issue is typically a lack of proper diet and exercise.
    I would not, however say that obesity is a choice.
    If your choice is to not exercise and eat poorly, sit down most of the day being inactive (TV, Internet, Facebook, Video games, etc...) then being obese is most likely to follow.
    So we do not choose to be obese, we choose the actions or inactions to allow this to happen.
    I believe that food quality plays a large role in this.
    Eat junk food, have a junk body.

Now choosing between minecraft, black ops2, or DDR, I only ever really hear of two of those three being discussed at the game store. However you can choose as I do, to not play DDR (not a fan) and instead play minecraft and/or BO2, set a timer, and every half hour go lift some free weights for awhile.

Carpal tunnel is indeed issue, which is overworking of joints. This ties partially into my whole 'food quality' theory above. Also, if you overwork yourself, and don't realize you need a break, I don't understand why it is so difficult to take a break. Sure we have all played a game for hours at a time, but at some point, don't 'yall look around and say... im gonna take a break and do something else for awhile? This is behavioral, and self discipline is key.
    Of course we are lucky and that the original Nintendo controller was not too ergonomic, however modern controllers are way more comfortable.
    What's the difference between sitting there or at a desk playing a video game... One is productive, one is not? Usually a 'job' 'cubicle' and 'company' means work is involved, and work means money.

Heh, I do things a little differently I suppose.
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.
  4. This is exactly the type of thing that I was hoping to see. +1 to you. I'll have time later to talk more :p
  5. Heh, the only thing that should be changed is the "Argumentative" Short Essay.
    I prefer "thought provoking discussion".
    Argumentative sounds like people already have predetermined notions they are correct and will not think.

I will contribute some of my thoughts to the "Why Video Games can be good for you".

1) People with social disabilities find it much easier to cope with 'online' people they never need to see, while still giving them some form of socialization in their lives. I believe humans are sociable creatures (to an extent) and require social interaction. When playing an online game one really likes, the game ties everyone together regardless of wealth, looks, health, age, location, or anything else others may perceive as a 'social defect'.

2) In certain 'social' settings video gaming can be very fun. I remember loads of nights playing goldeneye64 when it was new with loads of people, which usually lead to .. other games being played. If you find a group of gamers, and plan IRL social activities, it is a load of fun as well.

3) If people play games in moderation, it is not unhealthy at all. They key is moderation though. Self control should be something that one learns, which is beneficial in any environment.
    Byeforeverthe2nd likes this.
  6. One of my math teachers in high school told my class how video games helped his life become better:
    When my teacher was a kid, he had bad eyesight/slow reflex skills. He went to the doctor and the doctor told his mother to (This part I don't remember well) either buy a game system or the doctor would buy it. So my teacher got Pong which improved his eyesight and reflex skills.