Any news on the 'Grinder Selling' being banned?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kilmannan, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shame I cant auction my grinders any more :( Was working on an awesome 4x one too lol
  2. So far grinders have been limited mostly to those who #1: Mine enough to find spawners and are able to return to them. #2: Figure out for themselves how to set a grinder up or have a friend who would help them do it.

I'm not sure what the probability of a spawner existing in a chunk is, but they're pretty common. I can't go mining without finding one. In the two months I've been a member, I've recorded the coordinates of at least ten spawners most of which I don't intend to use because of their location. The number of auctions after the first one suggests that I'm not the only one who's finding them. If I understand how the world is generated, their number is infinite and only limited by the distance we're willing to travel to generate chunks for them.

I'd bet at least the top 100 members on the Leaderboard have spent some time at a grinder this month. What happens when there are a 1000 people doing it? How would it affect this situation? http://empireminecraft.com/threads/attention-exp-point-grinder-users-read-texp-leaders.6665/

I was on smp3 the other night and saw one creeper in maybe a whole hour. It was convenient since I hadn't ever been on that server and decided to take my chances rather than going back and vaulting equipment over. I got myself set up and maybe had traveled another ten minutes then Bam!, mobs were all over. I can't help but think that someone had logged off and gone to bed.

A Wild without mobs just isn't fun for me anymore. I'd rather that things stay the way they are. If someone wants to do a favor for a friend and set up a grinder, fine. If that friend wants to compensate for the time spent with Rupees or whatever that's great too. But I'd really rather not see people churning them out like factories.
    melodytune likes this.
  3. Do realize that Aikar talked to Justin and d1223m about this, and they will soon be implementing changes regarding grinders and the mob cap. I cannot confirm these features, however, I can say what he told me as it did not seem confidential when he said it. He said that they plan to raise the cap, and that grinders cannot spawn over a certain amount of mobs in one chunk. Sure, it hurts those of us who AFK for hours building up legions of skeles, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  4. You are right. The mob issues is definitely a problem. I think I have read where there might be a fix for this down the line.

I might be wrong, but something about instead of a server mob cap - Each person would have their own mob spawnability. . . Sorry I'm a bit lacking in knowledge on how it really works.

If this problem got fixed I think I would like to see more spawners out there - it would make enchanting more reasonable for a larger amount of people. It would be good for the economy.
  5. I remember reading that somewhere too SecretAznEks. Hopefully the fix, if it comes, won't nerf the grinders in such a way to inhibit normal use. Not that using spawners in this way can even be considered normal anyway.
  6. Here's to hoping. From what I heard from Aikar, though, you wouldn't be able to AFK for more than 10 minutes without hitting the chunk cap. Depending on the grinder, of course.
  7. With aikars plan and my 5x grinder i would onlyy be able to afk for 4-5 min :(
  8. That works for me.
  9. I am confused now. Does Aikar's proposed fix increase or decrease the number of teenaged moms?
    louiskw and SecretAznEks like this.
  10. It depends - is he pro ban or pro protection
  11. Aikars solution will put a limit on how many "Spawner" mobs can spawn per chunk. Not affecting the natural spawns.
    So, if someone afks at their grinder, the limit of 150 or 200 mobs will be hit ad the spawners stop ticking mobs.
    Pab10S likes this.
  12. The 'pregnant teen' analogy was being used with the selling of grinders. Aikar's fix would not directly affect that. :p
  13. i am selling them, but picking them up and selling the items.(i use silk touch)
  14. Firstly, that's impossible. Secondly, please don't 'bump' old and dead threads.
    /lock?
  15. Closing thread as it is no longer valid, as selling spawners is now allowed.

You must still be playing minecraft on single player using a version prior to Beta 1.9 pre-release 6, as it was disabled with this release. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.