Alice Tests Dragomon Hunter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Caeyde, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Oh man, this game
    I don't even know where to start

When I first saw this game, advertised on the Aeria Games launcher as their next new game, I dove right into the sign up section. Partly because it seemed like an interesting game, but mostly because one of my biggest weaknesses is games in the Closed and Open Beta phases....
    Eventually, I actually took the time to look at the game, my expectations quickly went into the deep dark abyss of, "This isn't going to be a good game, it's just another MMO trying to be Pokemon..."

Oh how wrong I was

First of all, let's meet my character Snowflake

She looks nice, and Im proud of what I've got with her. But the character creation isn't the best, it's very limited compared to what other games have now. It's not the worst, not by a long shot. It has some beautiful hair styles, and the colour options are good enough for the character creation to be...alright I guess

There are 4 classes

I will happily award Dragomon Hunter with the award for "Worst preview videos ever" because I don't understand any of the classes from those video. The only class I can safely talk about is the Scout, because that's the one I chose for Snowflake. From what I can gather, the Mercenary is the tanky class, the scout (I know) is the assassin class, the Cleric is the healer and the mage is, well, a mage.

Combat isn't great. There's no form of auto attacking, and it's all very...awkward to use. All of your attacks are the number keys, not just your skills. The 1 key is your basic attack. If you want to attack, you have to mash the 1 key to do so. Yes, of course, you can use your other skills, but they have long cooldowns, so back to mashing the 1 key we go!
    It isn't fun to do, and it's not enjoyable.

But moving on,

The game doesn't look bad, it isn't hard to look at. I expected some bad quality graphics that were glitchy and needed a lot of work doing, but I was happily surprised when I was met with what I was. The game is very colourful, but not too colourful. Its bright enough to make it seem happy and active, and it has enough background and misc. decorations for it to seem interesting everywhere. But it isn't too cluttered, and that's a hard thing to perfect.

~

The main problem that I find with Creature Capture games like this, is the creatures are either too much or too little. They're usually either too simple and plain, or so complicated you wonder what depths of the abyss they crawled out from, and which way is up on the colourful things.

But really, I don't know what to say about the creatures in Dragomon Hunter. Some of them are good, but some of them, not so much. Some of them are absolutely huge, becomes a problem when you read the next section...

This pretty boy is called a Pantherus. He's one of my favourite Dragomon, so I ride him around everywhere as a mount

Which leads nicely into the next part...
    Mounts

Every Dragomon you see, you can ride. Which is a really interesting concept. But it's oh so lovely to have

Want to ride that giant crab?

Want to ride that giant red monster?

Im not going to lie and say I got the mounts easily, because that would be a flat out lie. I must have spent at least 2 hours getting just one of the mounts. It's all up to luck, but man, 2 hours is a long time for a mount....
    (Especially when the servers are being wiped after Closed Beta! If only I knew that before I got the mounts!!)
    The only problem I have with this "ride everything" idea is actually the "ride everything" part
    Some of these dragomon are huge. So huge you have to use a magnifying glass to see your character hidden somewhere on it. I think that when the game progresses and you have the more experienced players around, the citys and towns are going to be flooded by everyone showing that they climbed the beanstalk and tamed a giant...

This game has a breeding system, to get different colours of your favourite mounts

However I can't find a tutorial for it anywhere, and I've been stuck carrying a "Mysterious Egg" I found on my Ranch for a while now, and I can't find anyone to do something with it....
    So there is breeding and training, but I haven't figured out how to do it...

Another interesting thing this game has is Prefixes for titles

It's like having two titles, which is a weird thing to have. But I like it. I feel like, even if someone has the same titles unlocked as I do, I can still be unique by having my own combination

~

Overall, I do like this game
    I'd give it an 8/10

The combat is repetitive and boring. The character creation is limited, and the class options are possibly even worse....

But the game is cheerful, and something about this game makes me smile. The creatures are unique in their own ways, and the smaller features this game has make it feel more complete than other games I've tried. Even though the actual look of characters may be limited, I feel as if other features still make customisation very possible

~

As you might have seen in some of the other screenshots, yes, I'm a Founder
    With the founder pack, I got 20 gems, which I used to get items

The costume
    The cat ears
    The clover
    The mount

I haven't seen a way of getting more of these gems, which leads me to believe that these items would be very hard to get without making and investment into the game

I bought founder simply to test the game and try it out, to fuel my curiosity

Playing the game as a "normal" tester, there would be little change from having a founder, apart from maybe looking slightly less appealing
    Finalysm and Chascarrillo like this.
  2. Reserved for screenshots, extra comments, updates and more

Extra comments:
    I couldn't find somewhere to put this, but a problem I had when trying to get the mount drops is the "kill cap"
    You can defeat a maximum of 1000 Dragomon per day. It sounds like a lot, but when it takes 300 defeats to get a mount if you're lucky, it isnt much at all. After the 1000, any Dragomon you beat won't provide loot or exp, which is tough
  3. Creature design is cool.
  4. The Dragomon Hunter stress test has started!
    No more codes needed to play :p

Not Open Beta yet, the server wipe still hasn't happened, but it's getting close!