About mobs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Digition, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Greetings, citizens and developers of Empire Minecraft. My name is Digition and I'm here to talk about custom mobs on the server.

Although the idea of custom mobs is fantastic, it can very much be improved upon.

To start off, I'd like to address my strongest argument and that is their visual design. At the moment most of them look like regular mobs on fire and in better cases they are just clearly existing mobs with the main visually custom thing being a full set of leather armor. I'm stating this fact because I can personally make better, more distinct visual designs. Here are some examples from my project I've been working on:
    https://imgur.com/a/U1XF9
    All of them are made using vanilla command blocks and a site with free to use heads, so I can't imagine it being too difficult to implement into emc.

Another way to improve custom mobs is changing their abilities and how they generally work. Their ability to just draw you in out of nowhere, have resistances to the opposite way of their attack and summoning minions that are too powerful for what they are, are all just frustrating, annoying and in some ways don't make sense. I have some ideas in mind, but I'll probably share them once I'll actually be working on the potential redesigns.

Thank you for reading these suggestions!
    Do you think they should be implemented?
    If you have questions, other opinions or suggestions, feel free to write them down bellow.
    _Devuu__, nyhl, Esrik and 1 other person like this.
  2. I don't go in the wild too often, so I don't have a lot of experience with the custom mobs, but I don't think they are too bad.

Keep in mind that EMC needs to be able to work independently, so without 3rd party sources, and mostly lag-free for those with a PC that isn't that good. All these particles and heads, for example, could generate some lag.

I like the concepts you showed though, but it should not be too custom. EMC is a vanilla server with a little personal touch to it, making these mobs have completely new types of attacks and features would 1. take a lot of work and efforts from the developer team, and 2. make EMC not the vanilla server we all love :).

So as for this suggestion, I think you could indeed make some changes to them, but please share those ideas you have in mind because I can't come up with a lot of things I would like to see changed myself ;).

Maybe these changes could be implemented with the new potential bosses of dragon tombs.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  3. I see your points, let me clarify them.

You see, it is not necessary to use a head created by someone else on that site. You can actually change your skin to whatever you need, upload it to the website to get the code and it will be completely independent from the following changes to the skin you may have, allowing you to have as many custom heads of your design as you need, and that all without a third party.

Another point to clarify is that those custom mobs are actually more vanilla than the emc server with all of the plugins, they only take command blocks/functions to work, which are 100% vanilla.

I will make sure to share them when I'll be developing the changes in my testing world ;)

And yeah, I think that would be a pretty good way to see what I could do with custom mobs on emc. Where can I be updated on the dragon tombs project?
  4. What haastregt means by keeping EMC "vanilla" is that EMC isn't in the business of creating entirely new mobs, even using vanilla mechanics like command blocks and server side code. The "unique" mobs that EMC currently has are only slight variances from vanilla. A momentus is still just a giant zombie and a marlix is a flying skeleton. The enraged mobs are just that, enraged versions of regular mobs.

These mobs are just designed to serve as a way to optionally add some difficulty to the game for those who enjoy survival Minecraft. They don't deviate that far from normal Minecraft mobs. That's why they just "look like mobs on fire" - because that's all they're intended to be, regular Minecraft mobs on fire and with slight buffs over their regular mob counterparts.

As for the current mob mechanics, they aren't meant to be easy to kill. A Momentus and Marlix are mini-bosses; they are meant to be just as hard (if not harder) to kill than a wither or the End Dragon. They require you are wearing enchanted Diamond armor and bring plenty of items with you to give you buffs to help kill them. Sometimes, you just might die during the fight too, that's just part of it. Momentus teleporting is annoying, but it makes killing it more interesting. Also, the spawning of minions is an iconic part of boss battles in many other games, it just adds to the experience.

Lastly, don't forget that EMC has the ability to change your difficult level in-game. You can set your personal difficulty on a scale of 1-10. The higher you have it set, the more difficult it is to kill these mobs.

Also, just wanted to point something out: it is supposed to be impossible to kill a Momentus at difficulty 10. Aikar designed it that way to encourage players to work together to fight mobs. Aikar designed the system to work this way on purpose, because EMC wants to encourage a community of players working together, not everyone doing their own thing. The minions spawned from the Momentus and Marlix aren't as much of a problem, for example, if there are multiple people fighting them ;)

I appreciate your post though, and feel free to continue experimenting. EMC actually has a form you can fill out at suggestmob.emc.gs where you can give ideas for new mobs, so we are definitely always open to new suggestions. What you have shared so far are really great ideas - they just might not fit within the context of EMC. However, that is not my decision anyways - EMC's developer team are the ones who work on these updates and changes, so it would be up to them what they would or wouldn't want to use. I look forward to seeing more of what you have to say :)
    Digition, Ritunn, _Devuu__ and 4 others like this.
  5. Thank you for responding, JDHallows! I'm really glad that the devs saw this post of mine.

I've been doing some work on my potential redesigns of Momentus & Marlix, which could either be replacements or more powerful and flashy versions of them, maybe with a prefix "Supreme" added to their title, which can be activated by using a hard- to get item on a normal version. Here are some screenshots I've made of them: https://imgur.com/a/rYVVr
    What do you think of them?

Now, I would like to do my response on the points you've made.

1. I understand the fact of EMC trying to be as vanilla as possible and, honestly, that's a really big part of it's charm. But there are quite a lot of parts that deviate from vanilla quite a lot and the majority of them work really well, like multiple servers in one, multiple worlds per server, disabled pvp and so on. Custom mobs are very well done too, although it some missed opportunity can be seen.
    Also, wanted to point out that all vanilla mobs look quite unique from each other, even slight variants differ visually (eg. Zombie having all different zombie villager variants, husk and an upcoming drowned), so making custom mobs look indistinguishable from vanilla doesn't make them feel vanilla, if you know what I mean.

2. Yeah, I can see enraged mobs being a thing and I honestly don't mind them all that much. They do well for what they are, although having them be displayed with the visuals found in regular vanilla gameplay feels a little bit cheap and maybe even somewhat confusing in certain situations, but that's a topic for another time.
    Also, if the mobs are optional anyway, why not go all out and making them unique? :D

3. I don't mind the fact of difficulty at all - they are supposed to be challenging and if I wasn't admiring the challenge, I wouldn't be writing this in the first place. Honestly, the only thing that I'm concerned about is why they are only considered minibosses, as the closest thing to a miniboss in vanilla is an iron golem who wants to kill you for one reason or another.

4. I'm well aware of that.

5. That's actually really cool and clever! Thank you for telling me this fun trivia, I didn't know it before. Now I'm interested in what things are changed about the mobs on each difficulty besides what is told on "play your" way options menu. :)

6. And thank you for everything! I'll make sure that I'll keep brainstorming on what could be added to emc and hope that the actual developers find out about this and, best case scenario, think about implementing some of those into the game ;)
    JDHallows likes this.