A 2016 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Olaf_C, Jun 29, 2015.

?

Who are you rooting for?

Hillary Clinton 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Jeb Bush 3 vote(s) 37.5%
Bernie Sanders 3 vote(s) 37.5%
Donald Trump 1 vote(s) 12.5%
Rand Paul 1 vote(s) 12.5%
A different Democratic candidate 0 vote(s) 0.0%
A different Republican candidate 0 vote(s) 0.0%
A different Independed candidate 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. It's the most awful time of the every 4 years, everyone!

It is presidential election season. It is the non-fiction equivalent of Twilight. It gives you painful gas just thinking about it. Billions of dollars, all the campaign ads, the useless banter at Fox and CNN; it is all just awful. Even worse, this one single person will have one of the strongest potential impacts on your life for 8 years. Even worse, many of these people are not the best politicians. Donald Trump is a real estate agent from New York with no government, legal, military, or diplomatic experience, yet is close to catching Jeb Bush in the poles. Hillary Clinton is a well decorated former Senator and Secretary of State, she has a reputation for going with the popular opinion. Instead of representing and running on her own beliefs, her ideas change with the times so she can win office. I also

Anyhow, what do you think of the current selection of candidates? This is meant to be an intelligent discussion. There is a difference between criticism in an intellectual discussion and being rude. The rule is, don't be mean and don't get butthurt if someone does not agree with you. I know that is blunt, but it is because it needs to be that way.

Possible Topics
    • Who is your favorite candidate and why? (do not try to argue against someone for their opinions. If you disagree, disagree to yourself in private. This is not debate club)
    • Who is your least favorite candidate and why? (same rules as above)
    • Who will win the Republican nomination?
    • Can Bernie Sanders beat Hillary?
    • What is the biggest change America currently needs? (ESPECIALLY keep this respectful)
    • What will be Obama's legacy?
    • How will FEC vs. Citizen's United affect this year's outcome?
    • DONALD TRUMP!
    Make sure to be kind! We are all humans, and this is opinion. Respect everyone's opinion. If you disagree with someone, the rule of thumb is to treat them as if you still agree with them. Everyone deserves respect :)
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  2. My favorite candidate is Donald Trump. He's only my favorite because I see his campaigning as a joke...
    Olaf_C and clan23 like this.
  3. Going to give this a bump, as I have forgot about it. Since this post was made, Donald Trump has become a very important player in the election, taking an overwhelming lead over the republican candidates, and even over Hillary. I did DEFINITELY not expect this.

This is my theory on why Trump is so popular:

The reason Donald Trump is popular is because of our distrust of politics. Donald is not a politician, so some people feel safe with that. The distrust of politicians in my opinion started to go up after Bush took office, and what all happened with the Iraq War. In modern politics, nobody seems trustworthy, or in-touch, yet people feel they can to a billionaire who gets his military advice from television and has lied his way and abused his way to the Forbes list. Donald Trump sometimes appeals to lesser America (I am not saying everyone who likes Donald Trump is an idiot), because they do not want to hear or be stuck in details. Politics is extremely depressing. He doesn't have a plan for most issues in our country, he does not have realistic goals or experience regarding many issues; his only upside is he knows how to make money in a capitalist environment. There is a psychology to Trump, in that he is the perfect candidate, since he is a businessman. Businessman know how to flip any scenario into their favor (or at least a good businessman), and that is what trump does in interviews. He does not answer questions, and flips them into thing people want to hear. Watch Meet the Press's interview with him and the Debates to see what I am talking about. The whole Trump campaign is purely based on hypothesis that sound good on paper, but not when you think of them with more detail. Trump appeals to an america that is too depressed and ignorant about the current state of our messed up world, that they want to block it out.

TL;DR Donald Trump is winning because nobody trusts politics anymore, and Donald is not a Politician. The downside is that he has no experience in politics, which could be really bad for diplomacy, foreign relations, and anything outside of fiscal related agenda. To gain the trust of people like me, he should announce his idea for cabinet members, who would advise him on these kind of decisions.
  4. This is the first election im able to vote in, is it un-American like to decide not to vote?
    deathconn likes this.
  5. You are given the right to vote as an american citizen, not that you are forced to. You do not have to vote, but it is an important part of the process, as well as a gift to be able to vote.