What is your biggest pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Otus_NigRum, Jul 30, 2018.

1. See my edit, more stuff you don't like. :p
  2. I don't like it when people beg and persist me for things because high school was pretty rough with that for me
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  3. When i'm having a conversation on a topic people find "offensive" and so everyone just tries to change the subject to avoid talking about important issues.

"Led Zeppelin is overrated"

So called "Know-it-alls"

When British folk call flashlights torches, it's 2018, not 1366 England

Going slightly off topic on an emc thread with OP and being told that i'm off topic and I should stop....
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  4. A pet peeve of mine: when people confuse England, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, etc. ...
  5. Pet Peeve: When people counter attack my pet peeve
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  6. I just got home from work, and needed to pick up dinner. For me the time in which this occurs is not ideal. I thought I would stop at Burger King, but it was too late to go in, and they tend to take forever to make the food, so I opted to just go to Wendy's enroute to Wal-Mart to pick up some other stuff, so we could have some snacks for Saturday. The line at Wendy's was so long, it was almost impossible to get on the lot, I simply drove through the entrance and then proceeded out the side exit and opted to just get stuff at Wal-Mart, Hot Pockets could do in a pinch for dinner. Wal-Mart...the behomoth of retail who knows they are the only real option at this late almost midnight hour does not care one iota about the customer. Only 2 check out lanes and they were so long they were entangled in the clothing departments. I know it is the daily change at midnight, I understand the need to reconcile the tills, I totally know the front end hurdles from previous experience in my career managing many retail places. They simply don't care about their customers, because they know they are the only choice. You have to wait in line, tough cookie.

Well, I stood in line at least 30 minutes when the frustration of watching people whom I work with show up to get in the other line and then they proceed to actually make progress in leaving that place. Yea, I am too competitive, and I tend to be all or nothing, so I simply took all the items in my hand-basket back to the shelves and put it all back and left upset. I walked out right in front of my fellow co-workers and dropped the hand-basket in the stack. I tried to make it back to Burger King, only to arrive to a dark building, which reminded me they closed at midnight. This only infuriated me further, to which I was about to simply come home with nothing. On the way home, I happen to remember across town there is a Love's Truck stop which has a Subway. So I drove across town and thankfully this time beat a mob of customers to acquire 4 foot long steak and cheese subs.

Yea, I know a lot of this may not sound like a pet peeve, but it does revolve around one, which would not be one if everyone simply did unto others as they would have done unto them. Yes, I know protocol may be to pull the tills and count all the drawers at midnight, but if half the available cashiers are busy doing this and you have Christmas scale lines amassing, then maybe you should take a proactive approach, and help get the lines down for 15 min or so. I was always taught to eat your crow while it is fresh, meaning solve the problems in the present, not after they have gone out of date. Yea, I know that doesn't really seem to add up, but I am still frustrated, and peeved' as the OP would say. I was also taught that for every lost customer you end up losing 9 more due to word of mouth. At this moment, I plan to spend every dollar I can in any place other than Wal-Mart, and only purchase items from them that I cannot find anywhere else. Even then I will re-think do I really want or need that item.

So to clarify the peeve: Long Lines, & The Care Less Attitude of Staff that you have to wait.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder

P.S.
    I hope there is still enough gas in the vehicle to make it back to a gas station now :confused: , and to make matters worse, Love's is a gas station...Argh...I was so frustrated, I didn't even make that connection till just now. Breathe...it is the weekend, I am home with my wonderful family, and able to chill with my favorite extended family here on the Empire. Thanks for the read, have a Great Day.
  7. Even though I'm not an adult, I can see the pain you experience through my parents, they have experienced the whole store not caring about customer thing and long lineups, and yes, I do know clearly. Eh, I guess that's what being an adult's like, eh?
  8. My pet peeve is you put a shulker box down and someone decides to take a look in it.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  9. I know right!
  10. I'm glad this post came back into circulation cause I have another one:

When people trash specific styles of music just because they don't like it
    like wow you got me. an entire genre of music isn't music.
  11. I do this all the time lmao, except I give reasons so why it's trash, others just say "it's just noise" Oh well, we are the human race, we can't agree on anything, at least no one is being hurt over this though :p
  12. People who say "me" or "that's me" to any funny video. It's just so annoying, and in the end Jennifer, no one gives a crap if that celebrities face is your "mood"
  13. -People who report anything not scientificly proveble or scientificly proven to be false as fact. (I'm looking at you: religion)
    -People who use the word "Orwellian" for anything they politically dislike, ignoring the actual defenition of the word and making their words more orwellian as the thing they discribe.
    -People quoting scientists without any context, to make it seem like the truth is way less nuanced as it is and usually making seem their oppinion more pausible as it is.
    -People who don't want to read the details, but still think they can start or hold a discussion about the topic.
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  14. nah, you're no exception, no matter what you say. Keep the peace and stop complaining about other music
    AltPunisher, EvilBlo and TomvanWijnen like this.
  15. Sorry, I'm a music snob, not gonna change
  16. I don't fully understand this, are you saying you don't like people who believe in religion?
  17. When people call aeroplanes 'airplanes'.

I get Americans and Canadians can't pronounce the 'aero' (air-uh, Americans probably say it like 'Air-oh') correctly - that's fine. What bugs me is that many British authors and journalists have started spelling it as 'airplane', which most British accents can't pronounce; including my own, which makes reading in my head a pain. Furthermore, the spelling... doesn't really make sense.

Most people just say 'plane', so pronunciation doesn't bug me.
    We called them 'electric torches' when they were invented. Over time, these 'electric torches' came to replace the torches that use fire, so we dropped 'electric' from it. Torch fits our pace of speaking way better anyway, and flashlight is weird.
    To add to this, I hate people describing the things the UK, US and big technology companies do to spy on people as 'Orwellian'. They supply us with entertainment devices and keep us complacent that way and justify the encroachment on our personal freedoms as wafer-thin protections against the big bad terrorism. This isn't Orwellian - this is more akin to what Aldous Houxley described in Brave New World.

If you look at what the People's Republic of China is doing, that's Orwellian. America and the rest of the Western world are nowhere close to that. The methods and results are much more tame in comparison.
    He's saying his pet peeve is things like religion prancing about and still proclaiming certain things as fact when they are demonstrably false. I take the same issue as the one he described (and many, many, many more, but that's one for the controversial section).
    607, TomvanWijnen and Jelle68 like this.
  18. Here it makes more sense to call them "air" planes, because they are well... in the air.
  19. That's what aero means.
  20. More people are going to understand air over aero, even if it is the same world basically