The Survival Update - v2 - 6/30/18

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Sorry for 2 posts in a row, but this covers something completely different...

(About dropped items on death)

My first question: what about your friends? In the old situation no one but your friends could pick up your items, which made it quite appealing to go play survival together (with friends) because if you died and you thought that you wouldn't make it back in time then your friends could help out.

Since you never mention friends, does this mean that this functionality has been dropped? If so then I'm not a fan of that change either because it would basically mean that you can no longer ask anyone to help rescue your items. Which is sometimes a huge deal when playing survival.

I'm going to be "that guy" but this also means that there won't be any random "loot drops" to be found and collected by other players. Which makes it less realistic. And less challenging.

If you went out into the wild you knew you'd risk losing your items, and after 8 minutes it would be a free for all. I definitely agree that raising the despawn to one hour -no matter what- is much more fair, but I don't necessarily like this "you can only lose your items to the despawn timer" approach because it takes away a fair gameplay mechanic on multiplayer servers: finding other people's items.

I've made quite a few friends by simply knowing how to apply /itemhistory, finding the original owner and returning their stuff to them.

But also... finding stuff lying around can also be a good warning of lurking danger. And sometimes those items can actually help you survive what's coming next.

I think the risk of losing your stuff to another player shouldn't be taken away. It's part of the original gameplay, it adds up to the risk / challenge of the game and it can even help make new friends.
  2. As Aikar stated in the OP, XP has become increasingly easy to obtain. Anything that becomes easier to obtain becomes less valuable. The macro abuse that has occurred in the past led to massive xp being put into the system and has dragged prices down as a result of cheap competition. Booksellers/enchanters should rejoice, I certainly am.

This change puts EMC back closer to vanilla MC which makes it slightly harder but this helps the economy so many people have complained about in the past.

Let's not forget that with shulkers, ice boat paths and elytra it is now far easier to bring massive quantities of materials to/from player bases so this change is just a readjustment and hopefully a small boost to the economy.

I'm not sure if Aikar still has the TP to player base marked down for Empires but if he does the market will probably be heavily smashed with literally tons of stored up materials. At that point I doubt many will care about how long it takes to tp to their base 100k out, repair an ender chest full of shulkers loaded with tools and armor then tp back to town.

One final point, I've seen many people come to EMC looking for vanilla survival and laugh at us for having starter gear, cross-server xp or anything else that makes it easier. They are the people we want out there in the frontier and they think we need to harden up.
  3. But why was that so?

Because of XP farms, such as SMP8's PWU, and the ability to take the XP with you.

Basically the whole thing has now become unbalanced I think. For players on SMP8 collecting XP is still extremely easy while servers which don't have any XP farms might be struggling a lot harder from here on.

This is also what I meant with keeping a legacy (an existing situation) in mind.
  4. Could lead to having public farms for every smp. Which isn't a bad thing
  5. You can just enchant there... then take the items back to town.

The only thing it changes is a bit more work for people who used farms on 1 and produced items on another.
    That is not something worth keeping this fragile XP system that has been long overdue for a rewrite, so instead of rewriting it... go back to vanilla....
    cubefragment, Elite and ThaKloned like this.
  6. Gasp, I forgot an important note about the update. You may now /vouch for someone to pick up your items.
    I'll add that to the posts.

You still technically can, at 1 real life day. This hasn't been removed...
    Once 24 hrs have passed, the standard 15 min despawn timer applies (actually can be less depending on where it is in the tick loop)

This is up from previous 8 minutes.

No. Just absolutely no.

This is not a PVP server. Another players items are not to be a target.

The ratio of bad to good cases here is easily 500 to 1.
  7. my only issue with this update is the no XP sharing D:.. then again I understand why it was changed lol
    cubefragment and Starsphere like this.
  8. xp sharing has always been over powers in my opinion so i am all for this up date. there are still a thousand ways to gain xp you don't even need to leave your res just grow veg and trade with a villager right on your res and you get tuns of xp for an example.

I like it!
  9. Hmm on review, the vouch change isn't done in the correct way, as it won't engage until the 24 hours IRL time has passed.

Will try to resolve that tomorrow.
  10. I think the update looks awesome!

this will even make it better 4 optifine users. enraged mobs used to light up like xmas trees but this makes it better for every1, even if u dont use optifine.

i also like it how the enderman doesnt immediately attack, just like a normal enderman. otherwise it wouldnt be fair i think.
  11. Quick question, has the enraged spawn code been tweaked at all? I've been running around in both the overworld and the nether for around half an hour now and haven't found a single one.
    cubefragment likes this.
  12. do you have bosses turned on? lol
    cubefragment and purplebook163 like this.
  13. Never mind, carry on ;n;
  14. check your PS as Faded said, but note that there is a per-player and a per-world respawn timer.

There's a lot of players out looking, so it likely spawned for someone else.
  15. Also I'm updating the item count to 32 unique. I orig counted a few of the items with variations as unique.

All Fiery Food is considered batched together as 1 unique item.
    Anything with different "Configurations" is considered batched together as 1 item.
  16. I know the per-player and per-world timers for bosses, but what are they for enraged mobs?
    b0bbythebuild3r and cubefragment like this.
  17. Varies per mob.

For example, blaze is 240 mins for player, 15 for world.
    cubefragment and SliceOfRhyBread like this.
  18. :eek: Yea! Aikar!! What about enderkittens!? :rolleyes:
  19. Any chance we could get a complete list? ;)