State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. To become a developer on Sponge, you need to fork it and make an addition to it and submit a pull request. So, yes; he has committed something, I just don't know what :p
    sambish20 and 607 like this.
  2. Was in the private site repo that I've helped out currently....

But, At this point EMC will no longer be going to switch to Sponge.

It's becoming too political and too many decisions being made that I don't agree with, which will make Sponge SUPER slow and hard to work with.

The projects design goals is going to really hold it back as they want to support client side mods at the same time as server.. really making it difficult for designing for a server, when everything has to worry about "oh thatll break forge mods".

I was essentially removed from staff just because I couldn't "commit" to Sponge since I have EMC to worry about. (Ironically I was in the middle of working with others on the website when I was removed, and interrupted our conversation forcing us to talk in the other channel >_>)

Spigot is continuing on its own without Bukkit, so we will just stick with Spigot as a base, or take where it left off and update on our own, not sure yet.

Spigot is close to a 1.8 build, so maybe late december, early 2015 we might see EMC on the real 1.8, if its not too bad... But 1.8 is a horrible update in terms of the code so we will see.
    It might be best if I manually pull in 1.8 features into 1.7 :/
  3. https://github.com/SpigotMC/1.8-testing/issues

Looks like Spigot is working out the last of the issues for the upgrade to 1.8. This will be much easier for EMC than switching to a whole new server API. Good news!

I think we may all be getting a 1.8 update for Christmas. Please Santa!? I was mostly good all year!:)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  4. While that's been going on - I've halted working on my last plugins ...instead, been learning and using more and more programming languages for external things XD

game layout| python & vb.net -> realize vb.net needs mono for Macintosh support -> Decide maybe a non-os standard support might be better suited ... read up on ajax, comet, and java (always java XD) aka browser game (even though I already made a launcher... but meh)

websites| javascript -> needed a backup system to detect cookies, if javascript is disabled ... learned the oldschool perl -> realize web host doesn't support cgi-scripts -> back to php and javascript :p

Guess everything has been getting more clear for everyone - But, I suppose it's better to take risks, learn newer things, and find the right solution than to not know the answers at all. :3
    607, Apcmagician and just_five_fun like this.
  5. Sometimes we need to question everything in order to have confidence in what we are already doing.
    eklektoi, 607 and Apcmagician like this.
  6. These days you just deny access to the game if they have javascript disabled. Having JS disabled these days is no longer acceptable.
    MercenaryCrow and eklektoi like this.