smp7 - jungle outpost

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by zulu9, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I'm not being hostile, I just wrote no in caps and bold.
    Jakres likes this.
  2. ... And can be taken as Hostile saying :/
    Jakres, IamSaj, mba2012 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sorry, I was just commenting my opinion.
    Jakres likes this.
  4. Can someone show me the way? I seen the pics on the site and it looks big so i want to check it out :)
    Jakres likes this.
  5. LLOlympics. Status report: Spleef has been griefed. Pool looks ok. Underground race under construction. Believe mba2012 is working on the arena for the ceremonies. Planned date is December. Can we go for that?
    zulu9, Jakres, Sanargama and 3 others like this.
  6. Winter Olympics?
    Jakres likes this.
  7. can i join LLO?
    Jakres and NINJATTILA like this.
  8. The skins are ready, I'm going to post them soon here. December is ok.
    Jakres and penfoldex like this.
  9. Anyone who can play nicely with others can join LLO...
    Jakres, shavingfoam and Dwight5273 like this.
  10. Just pack some food and use the online map: http://smp7.empire.us:8880/#
    Travel first thing in the morning, and you can make it by nightfall.
    Jakres likes this.
  11. With griefed, i suppose you mean griefed more than just the floor?
    Jakres and komondorok like this.
  12. Yeah.
    I've fixed all but the floor now.
    Jakres likes this.

13. Someone will sleep with fishes tonight ;)
  14. I just leave a horse head in someone's bed :eek:
    Jakres likes this.
  15. The HappyShopper will soon be building a Store for all your wilderness supplies at the SMP7 LLO
    Jakres likes this.
  16. So, "Grand Central", what do we want to do with it? The easiest option is to leave it as is and add on a simple underground area to deal with the new Light Line connection. (There is already a temporary platform downstairs for it).
    From above, it looks like this currently:

So what would you call this Neo-Greek-Revival Woolen Brutalism? At the very least, we can make an effort to make it a little more symmetrical and clean it up a bit. I certainly don't mind the current overall look if others are happy with it. I am bothered by the fact that we have an ongoing problem with "bay fill" here and elsewhere that is degrading the aestetics of the waterfront. I don't want to rip out those islands, but let's not encourage any more infill perhaps?

If we were to revise this, the natural choice would be to create something inspired by it's defacto namesake, Grand Central Terminal:

I think this might be a mistake to take this approach. While it is one of the best known rail terminals, it is closed in, and I don't think the look fits with a boardwalk/beach/jungle feel.

A more natural fit might be something that resembles the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.

Variations on the Victorian beach style are found worldwide, from both coasts of the US, to the Carribean, UK, and Australia. I really think this could fit, and it seems like an evolution of the current design, but there are a couple of issues:
    • To achieve the rambling feel, we would probably need to expand the footprint to include nearby structures. I would propose that we re-skin the post office and the crafting room attached to it in this style, and connect them to the terminal with a breezeway or roofed second story running where the current fence/signboard is. We could attach the town hall similarly if we wanted, keeping it's basic current shape, etc. I would leave the lawn(s) largely intact as a grass courtyard.
    • We would need to make sure that there are still open water views from within the terminal.
    • Need to harvest a bunch of nether brick for the roofs if we want them fire safe. Likewise, I would build the rest with double stone slab if possible.

I'm also partial to anything in the Mediterranean Revival style:
    zulu9, Jakres and mba2012 like this.
  17. ^Wow. You prepared an entire essay on building styles to use and not to use. Also I am doing some work on the guesthouse and expanding it. It will be a bit larger and fit in a bit more once done.
    Jakres likes this.
  18. I think you should spruce it up a bit. Any of your examples are worthy inspirations. I would like to see a hotel Del Coronado syle building in the area, but not as the Grand central station. I vote the Mediterranean Revival style.
    Jakres and penfoldex like this.
  19. If you want to help me tidy up the terminals for each line I can let you know what needs to be done.

Otherwise, it stays as it is.
    Jakres likes this.
  20. I'm not opposed to cleaning it up a bit thanks to SirGriefsALot. I do agree on stopping the whole build over the water deal. But I think Shavingfoam's place was a naturally done island, that other house was man made.
    Jakres and mba2012 like this.