Infinite Villagers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NZScruffy, Jan 7, 2014.

?

Should I make a badly produced Video on making an infinite paper villager?

Yes 9 vote(s) 60.0%
No 4 vote(s) 26.7%
No, but I can make a great video on it for everyone! 2 vote(s) 13.3%
  1. 1. What is an "infinite paper Villager"?
    2. Is it worth it?
    3. How do you make one?

I did a fair amount of searching in google, youtube, and wiki to find out what I could about villager trading. And what I have learned I could never full explain to someone. The process/maths involved in how villager trading works is very convoluted, far from simple. I guess that's why no ones ever tried to explain it, and why the wiki doesn't go into accurate detail on it either.

1.What is an "infinite Villager"?
    An "infinite paper Villager" aka "Infinite Villager" is a villager with the paper trade in it's 8th (last) trade position. Trading paper to a villager in this position will reset all the trades, including the paper trade. Thus you can trade paper to the villager repeatedly until the villager 'breaks'.
    But if it can break, it's not infinite?
    The villager will break if it, and the chunk it's in, is unloaded before it resets the trade.
    EG. If you teleport away or disconnect straight after you exhaust the paper trade, it will not have time to reset. When the villager loads up again, it'll have an exhausted paper trade, and you cannot trade paper to reset the trades. Hence, it's broken.
    There is also a very very small chance every time a villager resets it's trades that it will randomly get a 'gold ingot' trade. This will be added to the villagers trades in the last position. (The chance is something like 1 in 1,000,000, and has never happened to me). Though this does not technically 'break' the infinite villager, you would have to trade X gold ingots for 1 emerald every time you want to reset it's trades.

2. Is making/using an infinite villager worth it?
    Maybe. It takes time and many emeralds and other traded resources to make an infinite villager. It can also takes many attempts. And once made, you must trade many times to get many emeralds. Converting sugarcane to paper, then trading lots of 24 paper to 1 emeralds is repetitive and can take a while. Once you have those emeralds, you can then trade them with different villagers for other goods like enchanted books, saddles, redstone, XP potions, diamond armors, etc.
    (On skyblock servers, and some other servers, this can be the only way to obtain diamond gear, and other supplies). Some people may argue it's easier to buy the things you want, or mine/make them other ways.
    Is it worth it? that's a very 50/50 question. Some say yes, others say no.

3. How do you make one?
    That is a big question. :) I'll edit this and add it later.
  2. There are a lot of places online that explain the process, and a lot of popular you tubers have done it many times. There is no need to explain the math since villagers are almost all random, and infinite villagers can be done in about 10 minutes.
  3. I found that if you don't have the resources or time to make an infinite villager, the paper trade is common as the first trade so all you have to do is place and eggify a villager until you get one that starts with the paper trade, and then exhaust it, and repeat.
    NZScruffy likes this.
  4. Well that takes longer than making an infinite villager in the long run.
  5. Can you link to these youtube videos that have done it?
    And the places online that explain the process?

I'd be interested in seeing both.

I found the math interesting, it explained to me exactly how the villager trading works. And in turn, am able to get whatever I need from any villager quicker and cheaper. :) So I found it useful. However, explaining it to someone else might be difficult. :)
    607 likes this.
  6. I get what you are saying, and before you have an infinite villager, this is a good way to get the emeralds you need to make an infinite villager.

I have 2 infinite paper villagers side by side. By alternating back and forth, I have a continuous flow of trades. No downtime. It's still boring, repetitive and time consuming. By not wasting time to eggify/spawn, I generate emeralds about as fast as is possible. It also reduces the risk I will open a villager trade too soon and break the villager.

They both have the added bonus of infinite enchanted books of different types. It's random what you get, but the trade will continually drop in emerald value until it is 1 of about 8 possible enchantments, and be permanent.
  7. Approximately how many emeralds are required to make an infinite villager?
  8. The raw probabilities of villager trading is really straightforward. That is: start with low probability trades and go on.
    More interesting is termination statistics, or knowing where to stop an attempt that may end up failed, because the input resources will be better used elsewhere. That's the only real way to idealize the villager making process, and I've honestly been too lazy to do it so far. I might, but I don't really think its worth the time.
  9. It all depends on the trades, but I think I used about a stack and a half by the time it was done just to get past the clock and compass trades.
    But I have gotten well over that just from trading with it now, and it is down to 24 paper per emerald now.
  10. Depends how lucky you are with their random new trades. It would cost you a minimum of 30 emeralds to do each possible trade once before getting paper on last trade. But some trades can cost a lot more (enchanted books can cost from 5 to 64 emeralds per trade). And the more trades you open up, the less chance there is for a new trade to open, so you may need to trade each last trade more than once.

That's where peoples expertise/experience comes in. Knowing when to carry on, and when to trash it and start over so it doesn't cost you so much.

I would expect to go through 2 stacks of emeralds or more to get paper on last trade. (or get lucky and it cost only 1 stack).
  11. I don't think there are any good videos on how to make one - they all show you one I think - If you have a video - post it up.
  12. The power of Youtube is my best guess lol