Google just removed pages

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Hi, it's me again!

In a way, this does not surprise me, and yet I am shocked. Google has removed pages. This happened a long time ago for Google Image Search, but now the main web search has infinite scrolling as well. And this comes in a time where infinite scrolling is receiving a lot of criticism.

I can't find any news articles about this yet; I'm not sure whether this is because it is a very recent change (it might have been a few days or a few minutes since its implementation, for all I know), or because it's hard to search for it, or because reporters don't find it interesting enough.

Anyway: what do you think of this decision?
    Tuqueque likes this.
  2. i tink its a good and a bad disision
    for exsample the best place to hide a body is the second page of google

becouse bisnises that got critesised or if u are a person thats getting critisised you basicly fill the first page of google with good reviews or good tings about you so the bad stuf moves were all the bodies are the second page of google becouse no q looks there or 99.999999% of pipel dont
    this is sord of q good thing becouse pipel probly wont use to sroling feature more than like 5 link down but this basicly resolves some things
    and probely also scams becouse the bad review most of the time get pushen to my bodie pille at the 2 page of google
    PetezzaDawg and 607 like this.
  3. Me trying to understand what you’re saying
  4. I beg your pardon?
  5. I had no Idea that "Google Pages" was even a thing, unless you were talking about "Google Docs", but I highly doubt that because I'm on it right now. Eh, Google is going to do what Google is going to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  6. You no longer appear in 1 page see 30 results and load the second page, it is just one continuous results feed.

to answer 607's question
    I think I prefer page numbers as it's a way to at least section the infinite amount of knowledge within the internet, and I also liked seeing Gooooooooooooooogle, where each O represented a page number.
    607 likes this.
  7. Whoa, double quote. :eek:

EMC robbed me of an extra notification, now I'm owed 1 "quote" notification. heh :cool:
  8. I believe they are doing an A/B test actually, since I've encountered both versions today @607
    607 likes this.
  9. Yeah, I also liked the Gooooooooooogle, although I don't think I've ever gone to page 3 from page 1, for example. That just doesn't seem useful functionality.

That is interesting. I did some googling (:p), and found several articles from December 2022 about this change. So I thought I must have missed it until now. But maybe it hasn't rolled out to everyone at the same time.
  10. I really hate infinite scrolling
  11. I took a second take and yes, Tuqueque is correct. This was something I remember changing about a year ago. I'm indifferent since tech companies are always changing things and given enough public backlash, they revert the changes. Or they don't. --- It doesn't affect me in either way.

I'm an old-school user of Google that still uses operand commands in the search query when searching (throwback to when you actually had to know how to use Google to find what you want.)
  12. I read 'best place to hide a body' and just sort of rolled my eyes and quit while I was ahead.
    Sticking to that answer, after seeing your comment :p
  13. It's actually a pretty common joke about Google. It well might have been mentioned while they were working on this.