[Excerpt] Unnamed Story

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by SteamingFire, Jun 18, 2021.

1. WARNING: MATURE CONTENT

This is a story that I'm working on. I wanted to share the first chapter (well, chapters 0 and 1) to see what you guys think. I will not be sharing any more on here; I want to publish this story, so I don't think that I should share too much before I contact a publisher. That'll be awhile from now. See a later comment to read the rest on Wattpad. Still a work in progress.

This story does not have a title yet. Enjoy chapters 0 and 1 and tell me what you think.
    Tabbing doesn't seem to work here, so the format is a bit messed up. Sorry about that.

Chapter 0: Existence
    The creature stumbles forward, alone and in the dark. Businesses are closed during this time of night, and only the streetlights illuminate portions of the sidewalk. The creature hugs the buildings and thus does not receive any light.
    “Help me,” the creature says, but no one is around to hear.
    A door from one of the closed businesses opens, and a man in a suit walks out. He puts on a fedora despite there being no sunlight to block out and takes a step onto the sidewalk. He turns his head slightly and sees the stumbling man. The stumbling man is covered in what seems to be dried blood, but the fedora wearer isn’t shaken. He walks up to the bloody man and extends a hand.
    “Do you need help, sir?”
    The bloody, stumbling man sinks down onto his knees, and his savior kneels down with him, slowly, as to not ruin his pantlegs too much.
    “Do you want me to call an ambulance?”
    The bloody man looks up and smiles. There is a glint of light on his teeth, and then the fedora wearer is screaming. The savior becomes the victim, blood gushing out of his neck and into the other man’s throat. After a few seconds, the fedora wearer falls down and the fedora falls off, rolling a few times before laying upside-down. The bloody man stands up.
    “Thank you,” he says. He picks up the fallen fedora, puts it on, and walks into the night.

Chapter 1: Party Night
    “That’s ridiculous,” Emily says as she puts the peanut butter jar back into the fridge. “Vampires don’t exist.”
    Allyson slaps the newspaper onto the counter. “It says right here that there were two holes in his neck. Two holes. In his neck!”
    “Okay, so someone stabbed him twice with a screwdriver. Big deal.” Emily takes a bite out of her peanut butter jelly sandwich.
    “No, it has to be a vampire. They’re back, finally! Think I could get turned? The immortality thing is really tempting.”
    “You want immortality? For the price of having to drink human blood every day? Can you even bring yourself to bite someone?”
    “Maybe if it’s a handsome man—”
    “Okay, I’m late for work.” Emily grabs her bag and heads for the door. “See you at tonight’s party, yeah?”
    “Definitely. Say hi to your boyfriend for me.”
    “He’s not my boyfriend!”
    Emily opens her car door and slides in, throwing her bag into the backseat. Allyson watches her car back out and then opens her laptop. Online classes are boring, but at least she can surf the net while pretending to listen to the lecture.
    “Good morning, class. Today, we will be talking about German Reich, also known as Nazi Germany. This piece of history is important for understanding the rest of German history…”
    Allyson tabs out of her professor’s live video and pulls up Duckduckgo, her favorite search engine. Actually, she had initially downloaded it as a part of a class prank. Something about a duck cult, specifically rubber duckies in bathtubs. Then she had never bothered to un-download it.
    “Vampires…Seattle…” Allyson types a few key words into the search engine and hits enter. Most of the results are about bars and facelifts.
    “…Hitler was not a bad guy. He was a guy with his own ideals…”
    Allyson glances at her professor’s video and then goes back to her search. “Vampires… Seattle… history…”
    “Hmm, vampires are a descendent of Cain from the Bible, or so this search says,” Allyson says to herself. “So, basically, God created vampires. Ooh, they like to live in cities. Hello, vampires.”
    Allyson looks back at the newspaper.
    “Vampires… Seattle… murder…”
    A few more queries pop up, all about recent vampire-like murders in the past few weeks. Allyson eagerly clicks on a few and reads up. She finds an article where an attempted murder was thwarted. Curious, she reads more into it and learns that the “vampire”, now in custody, says that an angel had stopped him. Or maybe a human wearing wings.
    “Allyson, would you like to share your thoughts?”
    Allyson panics for a second as she pulls up her professor’s video again. She hits the unmute button and stalls for a few seconds.
    “I… uh… Hitler? Yes, well…”
    Allyson thinks back to the article that she was just reading. “Maybe in Hitler’s mind, he wasn’t killing innocent people. Instead, he was trying to stop evil from accumulating. Because, that’s, uh, what he thought that Jews were. Evil. So he tried to be an angel and did his best to stop the Jews from… spreading.”
    “That is an interesting theory. Melissa, what are your thoughts?”
    Allyson exhales in relief, hits the mute button, and goes back to reading the article.
    “Mm… this vampire for some reason calls himself a demon, not a vampire. A hungry demon. A hungry demon turned vampire? Sure, I can see vampires being a kind of demon. Does that mean that vampire hunters are a kind of angel? Maybe I should be a vampire hunter instead. Angels are immortal too, right?”
    Allyson puts down her laptop and heads to the fridge. In her excitement over the morning newspaper, she had forgotten to eat breakfast. Allyson scans the contents of the fridge and pulls out bread and two eggs. She half-listens to her professor’s lecture while making herself an egg sandwich. She gets herself a plate and eats her sandwich over it while half-listening to her professor, half-reading more articles. She tries searching up multiple things and finds a rather plain website with a contact number and address.
    If you suspect that anyone is a demon or a vampire, please reach out to us. -- Angel Association
    “I really should join the angel team.” Allyson licks her fingers, puts her plate into the sink, wipes down her hands and returns to her lecture.
    “This week’s assignment will be uploaded later today. Please finish it before next week’s lecture. Bye, friends!”
    Allyson rolls her eyes. If her professor wasn’t unprofessional, then she didn’t know who was.
    Allyson shut her laptop and goes to properly wash her plate.
    “Maybe someday, I will become immortal, and then I won’t have to attend boring history classes anymore. Because I wouldn’t need to study to get a job, because I wouldn’t need the money for food or shelter or anything, because I’ll be immortal and wouldn’t have any human needs—”
    “Sounds like a fun time. No food, no home, and no escape from the boredom of life.”
    Allyson turns around to find her other roommate, Sebastian, walking down the stairs. He’s wearing his usual black eyeliner, black leather jacket, and tight black leather pants.
    “You finally wake up? What is it, 10am?”
    “It is 9am, little girl.”
    “It’s late for someone with responsibilities.” Allyson dries her hands and turns to Sebastian, crossing her arms at him.
    “Good thing that I have no responsibilities.” Sebastian opens the fridge, shuts it, and looks at Allyson. “Got any breakfast?”
    “I am not your mother, and you do have responsibilities. Today is the first of the month, so our rent is due. Rent is your responsibility, remember? The only reason that Emily and I agreed to live with your sorry, emo ass in the first place.”
    “Chill, little girl. I gave the big dude the check yesterday. He graciously accepted and won’t be kicking us out for another month. And since I take care of all of the money things, the least that you could do is take care of my stomach.”
    Allyson sighs and takes out more bread and eggs. “Egg sandwich?”
    Sebastian smiles. “Delightful. By the way, is the party still on for tonight?”
    “Oh, yeah. But I don’t remember you being invited. Since it is, you know, an all-girl’s and only-girl’s night.”
    “Relax. I intend to hold onto what masculinity that I have left. I was asking for a friend.”
    “You have a friend?” Allyson laughs.
    “I have many.” Sebastian walks up to Allyson as she starts frying the eggs. He puts a hand on her waist. “We used to be friends, remember?”
    Allyson pulls his hand off of her and keeps her eyes on the eggs.
    Sebastian smirks and holds up both hands in surrender. “All right, all right. Well, as I was saying, I have a friend who’s interested in the party. You said that all girls are invited, right? She’s interested in meeting you.”
    “I’m sure that you told her all about me already. There’s nothing more to meet.”
    “I haven’t told her much. She was interested as soon as I said that you’re a girl.”
    Allyson drops the bread and eggs onto a plate and hands it to Sebastian. “Lovely, so it’s a desperate lesbian woman that you’re trying to hook me up with?”
    “Well, actually,” Sebastian said in between bites, “She was particularly interested in your interest in the occult.”
    “I don’t have an interest in the occult. Just immortal beings.”
    Sebastian glances at the newspaper, still on the counter. “Immortal vampires?”
    Allyson heads back to her laptop. “Okay, yeah, vampires are immortal. And they might be here in Seattle. So, yes, I’m looking into vampires for the moment. Might possibly be considering turning into one. But actually, before you say anything, I have decided that becoming a vampire hunter might be better.”
    “Ooh, a vampire hunter?” Sebastian licks his fingers and plops himself down on the couch, next to Allyson. “Sexy wielding a dagger?”
    “First off, you don’t get to call me sexy. Second off, why a dagger? And third, I don’t know, there’s news articles about these vampires being demons and there being angels who hunt them while they’re attacking humans. I’m thinking that these angels might be immortal vampire-hunters, and I might want to be on the good side of things.”
    Sebastian laughs. “Even if vampire hunters did exist, what makes you think that you could be one? You can’t even throw a punch. You’re afraid to squish a spider. You really think that you can hunt down and kill something that looks like a human?”
    “If it’s a blood-sucking, evil creature of the night, maybe?”
    Sebastian smiles and leans close to Allyson. Allyson pulls back an inch.
    “All right,” Sebastian says. “This friend of mine happens to be an expert in these things. So, if you two meet, maybe you will finally get your immortality? Why do you want to be immortal so badly, again?”
    “None of your business. But, fine, I’ll meet this friend of yours.”
    Sebastian smiles and leans back. “Could you wash this plate, too?”
    fighter_Ethan and Esrik like this.

2. Emily pulls into the parking lot, turns off the engine, and grabs her bag. She runs through the front door, smiles at the regulars, throws her bag into the employee closet, pulls herself together and walks up to the bar like she had been there the whole time.
    “Glad to see you’re here.”
    Emily turns to see Thomas. The black company T-shirt that he’s wearing is a little tight and defines all of his muscles. And he has a lot of muscles. Large, thick biceps, a wide chest, iron-hard abs…
    “Try not to stare too much, Emily.”
    Emily blushes and looks down. She reaches out to fumble with a glass, pretending to prepare a drink.
    “I’m just kidding. Stare all that you want. How was your morning?”
    “My morning didn’t start until I saw you just now,” Emily blurts out, and then blushes even deeper.
    Thomas smiles, and it’s such a handsome smile. Pearly white teeth that he claims he never had to get fixed. All natural beauty. The height of natural beauty.
    “Excuse me,” a man says as he sits onto a bar stool. “Bourbon, please, sweetheart. I’ll tip you well if you drink some with me.”
    Thomas looks at Emily, asking with his eyes for permission to talk down the customer. Or maybe he’s asking for permission to put his impressive muscles to use.
    Emily is sure that her cheeks are permanently red now. “Sorry, I don’t drink on the job.”
    “Your loss, honey.” The man shrugs and waves in someone coming through the doorway.
    “Why are you still here, anyway?” Thomas whispers to Emily as their friendly customer starts up with a chat with his own friend.
    “I just got here,” Emily says, confused.
    “No, I mean, why are you still working as a bartender?”
    “Something wrong with working as a bartender?” Emily huffs as she gathers used cups to put into the metal sink.
    “I just think that you could do so much better,” Thomas says, taking out already-washed cups to dry while Emily puts more cups in. “An accountant, maybe? A lawyer. A doctor?”
    Emily smiles again. “You think too highly of me. I don’t have the brains or the funds for that.”
    “Oh, you have the brains,” Thomas says as he leans ever so slightly towards Emily. “And with your brains, you could scrape together some good scholarships.”
    Emily clears her throat. “So, what about you? Why are you still here?”
    Thomas laughs softly. “I’m not as smart as you are.”
    Emily eyes his arms. “Well, maybe you could use your body. Security guard? Gym teacher? Yoga instructor? FBI agent?”
    “An FBI agent takes just as much brains as it does body. But maybe I could be a security guard. Anything beats these assholes, right?”
    “Hey, sweetheart, refill here,” the friendly customer shouts.
    “Agreed,” Emily says as she refills his cup.
    “Did you hear about yesterday’s murder?” Thomas asks.
    Emily looks at him and then looks away. “Yeah, Allyson told me. She’s really into that vampire stuff.”
    “A lot of people have been claiming to be attacked by vampires lately. Some people say that angels swooped in to save them.”
    “Angels, really? I’m sure that Allyson would get a kick out of that. You believe in angels?”
    “I believe that I’m staring at one right now.”
    “Oof,” Emily says as she looks away to hide her face. “Too cheesy.”
    “I was wondering if you’d want to go on a date tonight.”
    Emily looks back at him with wide eyes.
    “Oh, sorry. Too direct?”
    “No, no,” Emily says, flustered. “Direct is good. Direct means that I’ll know that it’s a date date, and not casually hanging out. Uh, but, I have a party tonight, so maybe later?”
    Thomas smiles. “Maybe I could get a party invite? Be your plus one?”
    “Ah, yeah, it’s a girls-only night. I don’t think that you could pass for a girl. Which is a good thing, by the way,” Emily adds, blushing at her own stupidity now.
    Thomas flexes an arm. “I can’t disagree with you there. All right, how about Sunday?”
    “Sunday’s good. Yeah.”
    “I’ll pick you up at 6pm from your place?”
    Emily nods vigorously. “Yes, definitely. Wait, you know where I live?”
    Thomas laughs. “No, but I was hoping that you would tell me.”
    Emily smiles. “And maybe I could get your phone number now, so I can text you my address.”
    Thomas whips out his phone. “Even better.”
    They exchange numbers and Emily holds her phone a little too tightly, excited to have Thomas’s number.
    “I—um—I’ll go take out the trash. It’s filling up already.”
    “Yeah, go ahead. I’ll keep Mr. Sweetheart occupied for you.”
    Emily grabs the black trash bag, ties it up, and struggles with the back door. It’s heavy and always a challenge for her. Of course, Thomas could open it with one hand. Maybe even one finger.
    Emily makes her way to the dumpsters and tosses in the bag. She takes a moment to breathe. She’s at work, so she really shouldn’t focus on Thomas so much. But Thomas is her co-worker, and he’s always around. But maybe she should try to ignore him a bit? Focus more on her customers?
    While Emily is pondering this, she hears a groan nearby. She turns around and sees a shape behind one of the dumpsters. A moving shape.
    “Help me,” someone groans. It’s laying on the ground right next to the dumpster, curled up a bit.
    Emily approaches with caution. They get homeless people here sometimes, and part of her job is to scare them off. Or politely talk them off, as she prefers to do.
    “Help me,” the shape repeats, and it pulls itself out from behind the dumpster’s shadow.
    Emily can see now that it’s a filthy man wearing a denim hoodie. He doesn’t seem to be physically hurt, despite being on the ground. Maybe he’s on drugs.
    “Sir,” Emily says, standing tall to look more imposing. “I’m sorry, sir, but this is the property of Chug ‘N Dive. You have to leave, now.”
    “Help me,” he croaks again, and this time manages to stand up. He lurches a bit as he steps towards Emily.
    Emily backs up a bit and glances at the door. Maybe she should go get help. This man could be dangerous, and she wasn’t equipped to handle dangerous.
    “Help, please,” the man says, and then suddenly there’s a knife in his hand.
    “Thomas!” Emily shouts, and heads for the door. But the man is there instead, blocking the door. Emily gasps and looks back to the dumpster, where the man was standing just a second ago.
    “Please,” the man says, and Emily tries not to breathe in his stench. “I just need a little bit of blood. Just a little bit, please.”
    I am not letting this man cut me with his rusty blade and infect me with who-knows-what diseases, Emily thinks. She looks around. She could run out, head for the parking lot.
    “Don’t move,” the man says, and Emily feels a tight grip on her wrist. The man is holding her firmly, and the blade is close to her neck.
    “Thomas!” Emily cries again and kicks the man between the legs. He grunts softly, but his posture remains the same. Emily tries again, but the man flips her and she crashes onto the ground with her back. Coughing, Emily looks up in fear at her attacker.
    He sits on her, straddling her stomach. He raises the blade high with both hands, intending fully to stab her to death. Emily closes her eyes, knowing that this was the end. She hopes that it won’t hurt too badly.
    But then she hears a metallic clang, and opens her eyes to see that the knife is gone. She turns her head and sees that it’s on the floor next to her. When she looks up again, she sees something more horrifying. Fangs, inside of the man’s mouth.
    “No,” Emily shouts, “no, vampires aren’t real!”
    His head comes down and his fangs pierce her neck, and Emily screams. She can feel the fangs splitting her skin and the blood seep out of her. And it hurts. It hurts so much.
    And then the man is coughing, spitting some blood onto her face. Emily wipes at herself, more horrified than disgusted. The man gets off of her and she rises to her feet, unsteady from fear.
    “No… you can’t be…” The man sputters, coughs one last time, and collapses.
    Emily is breathing hard now, and she touches her neck where she was bit. She rubs around, but she can’t find the holes. Just blood.
    She looks around, but there’s no one else. She looks at the man, and then down at herself. She can’t go back to work while covered in blood. This man here might be dead. The holes on her neck are gone, so she seems to be uninjured. She should call the police, but what should she tell them?
    She fumbles with her phone and dials 911. “Hello,” she breathes into the phone. “Hello?”
    “911, what is your emergency?”
    “Th-there’s a man here. Dead. I think he’s dead. And there’s blood everywhere, and a knife. He attacked me, but then he died.”
    “Calm down, ma’am. Could you tell me where you are?”
    A few minutes later, police and an ambulance can be heard pulling into the parking lot. Emily peeks out from behind the corner of the building to see her boss exiting the bar and talking with the officers. In response to something that an officer says, he points to the dumpsters. Emily ducks, looks around, and presses herself against the brick building, unsure of what to do.
    “Hello, ma’am, are you all right?” A lady officer is looking at her with concern, hand on her gun.
    “Yes, I’m fine. The man is over there.”
    The officer calls out to her team and soon there are more officers and a stretcher making their way to her. The man is put on the stretcher and Emily is offered a blanket.
    “There’s a lot of blood on you, ma’am. Are you hurt anywhere?” A young medic asks her, looking straight into her eyes.
    Emily touches her neck, but the holes are still gone. “No, I’m fine. I’m fine. Is that man dead?”
    “Yes, ma’am, he is. Are you sure that you’re not hurt?”
    “I’m sure.”
    The medic nods and leaves, heading back to the ambulance. The lady officer approaches Emily.
    “Did you know this man?”
    Emily blinks and looks at her, confused for a second. “What? Oh, no. He was just some homeless man looking for… something.”
    “There was a knife on the ground. Did he attack you? Are you hurt?”
    “I’m fine. He dropped the knife. But then he… he started to cough up blood.” Emily decided to skip the part where he bit her, since there was no proof. Besides all of her blood being everywhere. Hopefully, they wouldn’t test whose blood it was.
    The officer nodded. “Homeless people can get into all sorts of trouble. This one was probably sick. Thank you for calling us. Is there anything else that you want to add before we leave?”
    “No,” Emily says, a little too quickly. “Nope, nothing at all.”
    The officers wrap up and the cars and ambulance leave. So far as they were concerned, no crimes happened here. Just a homeless man who got sick and died.
    Emily sees Thomas running towards her.
    “Emily, are you okay?” Thomas looks at her but doesn’t touch her, unsure if he should.
    “I’m fine. I… I called you.”
    “You did?” Thomas takes out his phone and looks at her questioningly.
    “No, I mean, while I was being attacked. I called your name, more than once.”
    “I’m so sorry, Emily. The music was turned up and that back door is so thick, I didn’t hear a thing. I’m sorry.”
    “No, it’s fine. You’re fine. I’m fine. I just want to go home.”
    “I’ll talk to the boss. I’m sure that he’ll let you go home today now that you’re covered in blood.” Thomas smiles at her, but Emily doesn’t smile back. “I’m sorry, it was a lame joke.”
    “It’s fine. Thomas, he—”
    Thomas looks at her quizzically.
    “Nothing. I should get going now.”
    “Maybe you should rest and not go to that party tonight?”
    Emily stops and looks back at him. “I can’t skip. Allyson would be upset. And I’m not hurt, so I’ll be fine. See you tomorrow, Thomas.”
    Emily gets to her car, realizes that she doesn’t have her keys, goes back into the bar, ignores the stares of the customers, grabs her bag, and goes back to her car. Her boss passes her.
    “Thomas talked to me. You can have the rest of today off, of course. Take a shower and calm down. Do whatever you need to do.”
    “Thanks, David,” Emily says with a flimsy smile as she climbs into her car. At her steering wheel, she breathes in and out, in and out, nods to herself, and drives out of the parking lot.

Esrik likes this.

3. Allyson screams, but it can be barely heard over the loud music. Emily walks in through the door, and Allyson immediately grabs another cup and pushes through dancing bodies to run over to her.
    “Hey, lovebird!” Allyson shouts as she hands over the red plastic cup. “How was work?”
    “Work was fine,” Emily says as she downs the cup.
    “What? I can’t hear you! Did you drink that whole thing already? Let me get you another!”
    “No, Allyson, I’m fine—” Emily’s hand magically holds a new, filled cup, and she brings it up to her lips.
    “Save some for the others, girl! Why are you trying so hard to drown out your sorrows, anyway? Wait, did Thomas dump you? Do you need me to go kick him in the balls?”
    “We aren’t in a relationship, so there’s nothing to dump. Also, we have a date this Sunday, so everything is going well. With Thomas, anyway.”
    “Ooh, a date!” Allyson squeals and takes a sip of her own plastic red cup. “You’ll have to tell me everything afterwards!”
    “Yeah, sure,” Emily quips, and looks around the room. “So, which one is your rebound?”
    “Ouch! I don’t need a rebound! I need a new lady in my life. Someone very anti-Sebastian, someone female, someone without a dick. Someone who represents literally everything opposite of that loser.”
    “Just find someone who wears white all of the time.”
    “Ha, good one! Really though, he should shake up his wardrobe. But forget Sebastian, forget Thomas. This is a girls-only night. And we’re here to look for girls!” Allyson tilts back her cup.
    “You’re here to look for girls. I am one hundred percent straight, thank you very much. And I do enjoy talking about boys with my girls.”
    “You do you! Also, have you seen a brown-haired, fair-skinned woman wearing a skinny red dress? Sebastian wanted to introduce someone to me.”
    Emily stares at Allyson. “You want to meet someone that Sebastian wants you to meet? No, no. Bad idea. You just said that you needed someone anti-Sebastian. Definitely avoid any of Sebastian’s friends. How did you pay for this party, anyway?”
    “Sebastian’s daddy funds,” Allyson says as she scans the room.
    Emily puts down her cup and grabs Allyson’s. “No. Definite no. You’re using Sebastian’s money again? We’ve been through this. If you continue to use his money, you’ll end up feeling like you owe him! Or worse, he’ll say that you owe him, and then you’ll really owe him! No more using his money. This ends now.”
    Allyson pulls back her cup and rests it against her lips. “Okay, yeah, whatever, this will be the last time. But can you go around and ask for someone named Veronica?”
    Emily picks back up her cup and sighs. “Sure. But this is the last time that you meet anyone who knows Sebastian.”
    “Mmhm!”
    Emily walks away, not really intending to look for someone named Veronica, but bumps into a lady wearing a red dress. She also has brown hair and fair skin. And she is beautiful. Drop-dead gorgeous. Emily stares. Is this one of Sebastian’s exes?
    The woman sees her staring and smiles. “Hi, are you Allyson?”
    “Uh, no,” Emily stammers. “I’m her friend. Allyson is over—” she points, but then she sees that she’s pointing at thin air. Allyson is further into the crowd, talking up some random chicks that look nothing like Veronica.
    “Well, while she talks with her friends, maybe we can become friends too, hmm?” The lady grabs her own cup and holds it up. “I’m Veronica. And you are?”
    “Emily,” Emily says as she touches her cup to Veronica’s. She tries to hold it in for a second, but then it bursts out. “Are you Sebastian’s ex?”
    Veronica laughs, and even her laugh is perfect. Emily finds herself disliking Veronica, and it has nothing to do with jealousy.
    “Sebastian’s? No. I’m his co-worker. Or boss, perhaps? But he doesn’t know that I am. His boss, that is.”
    “Uh-huh,” Emily says, putting her cup to her lips just to do something. “Sebastian doesn’t have a job.”
    Veronica smiles. “No, he doesn’t. Not legally, anyway. It’s all under the table, if you know what I mean. Flexible hours and great pay. You should ask him about it, little angel.”
    Emily stares at her. “Sebastian likes to call Allyson a ‘little girl’, but it’s the first time that someone’s used the phrase ‘little angel’ around me.” Besides for Thomas calling me an angel.
    “But of course,” Veronica says. “No one knows that you’re an angel, correct? But I can tell. We’re very alike, you and I. Opposite, but very similar. Have your wings set in yet?”
    “Yeah, how about I go get Allyson now?” Emily walks away without waiting for an answer and goes right up to Allyson.
    “Allyson, I found Veronica. She’s weird. I would say that you two would get along, but I don’t like her.”
    Allyson laughs at Emily, a bit too loudly. “Great! Thanks for finding her! Take me to her, will you? I might need a backup in case Sebastian is sending me to someone shady. Girls, I’ll see you later.” She smiles at the two girls that she was talking to.
    “Oh, she’s shady, all right,” Emily says as she holds Allyson’s arm to keep them together as they push through the crowd. “Real shady, and kind of a bitch. She called me a ‘little angel’. Can you believe her? She totally ruined Thomas calling me an angel.”
    “Thomas called you an angel? How sweet!” Allyson croons as they arrive next to Veronica.
    “Hi, Veronica! I’m Allyson. Nice to meet you!”
    Veronica looks Allyson up and down and smiles tightly. “Not exactly what I was hoping for, but you’ll do. I’m sure that the transformation might change you a little. Besides, we’re taking all of the hands that we can get.”
    “What?” Allyson says, but then Veronica leans towards her ear and whispers something. Allyson seems to sober up right then and there, and glances discreetly at Emily.
    “Hey Emily, how about I introduce you to my two new friends?” Allyson says, waving at the two girls that she had just left. “They can be really interesting. Not quite anti-Sebastian, but they’re pretty fun. Want to?”
    “No, thanks,” Emily says, glaring daggers at Veronica. If she didn’t like her before she was plotting secret things with her friend, she certainly didn’t like her now. “I think I’ll stay with you for a bit. Make sure that you don’t puke on your own shoes.”
    “Don’t worry, little angel,” Veronica croons. “I’ve got this.” She takes ahold of one of Allyson’s arms. “Come now, human. Let us show you our ways.”
    “Hey, you can’t just—” But then they’re gone, and Emily is alone with a half-empty cup, stumped. She looks around, but there’s no sign of them. They disappeared.
    Similar to how that homeless man suddenly appeared in front of my getaway door.
    Emily shakes her head and takes another sip from her cup.
    “Fine. You don’t want my help, Allyson? I’ll go find some anti-Allysons.” Emily marches into the throng of people and shakes her hips, dancing to the obnoxiously loud music.

Esrik likes this.
  4. To continue reading the story, click here:
    [deleted]
    I've removed the story from Wattpad because I won't be returning to it for awhile, and I don't want an unfinished story sitting on there for too long.
    There's two other stories that I'm focused on.

It's entirely free to read, but it falls under All Rights Reserved.
  5. I went back and edited the existing chapters, so the characters should hopefully have more depth to them now.