Economy Crisis?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by Tah2, Feb 10, 2016.

?

Is The Economy Having A Small Crisis?

Yes 47 vote(s) 32.0%
It might be true, But it's not effecting me 50 vote(s) 34.0%
No 56 vote(s) 38.1%
I don't know 14 vote(s) 9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May I ask, what happened to starters wood? :p
  2. Was it removed? I'm pretty sure it's still in there. Which was my point. We already give them some materials, but we're not gonna give them more because that's obviously not the problem.
    607, SSRCMegaMall and ShelLuser like this.
  3. I'm 90% sure it's still there. Because that explains why I saw plenty of new players start with building something out of wood blocks (planks) while they didn't even realize the /waste was there. Those are probably also regular blocks, which explains why I didn't keep them on my alt GripCEO.
    607, SSRCMegaMall and JesusPower2 like this.
  4. bow chicka
    MatthewDA likes this.
  5. Sorry, I was just trying to help.
    TuckerAmbr and ShelLuser like this.
  6. There is never a need to be sorry for asking a question :)
    607, TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  7. I re-read the wiki page (it's a hobby ;)) and noticed that it was indeed very easy to overlook the line which mentioned the extra items. So I reformatted it a bit which hopefully makes the page easier to read.
  8. I'm just kidding. I have another idea. I'm old. Or relatively old. Alright, I'm considerably older than 15 at least. Anyway, from my experience older players prefer the aspects of Minecraft like building and enjoying other's builds. Younger players tend to enjoy more of the pvp and factions. This is based on my friends and what I observed from 9 months on a faction server and 1.5 years on this server. Now remember this is a generalization. If there was a way to advertise specifically to this group of minecraft players maybe. This is just an observation/idea.
    TuckerAmbr likes this.
  9. I think the mentality of the average player who has free blocks in his inventory and wants more will look for ways to get or beg for more free blocks. Perhaps putting a grown tree and a pile of cobble on the ground with a sign on it that says " Want more, head to the wasteland!"

The idea is that the average player that is given a block will look for/want a block. That same player who chops the tree and digs that rock will want to chop another tree and dig another rock and the sign will point the way. Players are motivated to play, thats why they are here, we just need to grab their interest in that crucial first few seconds that they show up on their res. We all know what has happened to attention spans in todays world.
    607, TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  10. As said, a huge portion of the players who quit are the ones who want PvP/Factions. They see this server i nothing like they are looking for, and quit.

We are a niche market, that only a small subset of minecraft players care to play at. We just have to accept that, as trying to change who we are to accommodate more of those players will alienate our existing players who love EMC for what it is.
    Our efforts go into making sure the players who do want our type of server, have the best chance of staying. But don't use disconnect counts as a sign of doom.
    607, JesusPower2, ShelLuser and 3 others like this.
  11. No doom here. I would also like to say that because of how your server is setup and the players you have, I believe this server will survive anything that Mojang or Microsoft can dish out, unlike the other servers. Thank you Aikar.
  12. This is true. I managed restaurants for years from mom and pop style, to Manhattans Chevys Fresh Mex in Times Square. You can only please a certain percentage of the market. You can never achieve 100%. Any business that keeps changing its operation to accommodate someone who is unhappy or not interested in your offerings might gain that person but might lose some others. If you keep changing your rules, methods, standards, offerings and even personnel, you will show that you are unstable and will change at the drop of the hat. This will show the public that they cant count on stability and things might change any time someone is unhappy about something. In short something you like may not be there for long and you cant count on anything with a wishy washy company.
    607 and God_Of_Gods like this.
  13. Sorry for the off-topic post. I agree with the trend of buying-over-supplying right now. I think it will reverse after frontier protection settles and players finish their summer projects.

#

I think intro / tutorial changes will help direct players the most. Plus maybe a link to a video since MC can't embed them in-game.

This is what I'd think of as a flow...would only hope our talented folks working on the new system find it interesting --

The banner ad is pretty good at summarizing what the server is about. I'd guess most new players are here because they were hooked by that, or they're randomly sampling. For samplers, the landing room should just quickly describe what EMC is and what it is not, and the players that want to see more continue on to the next area.

Then I think it should focus on setting expectations for the first play session -- You're going to get a plot, this is your safe area. There is a wastelands that can be a little dangerous, where you can gather resources, and to return to safety you'll need to walk back to the outpost. Use your materials to build a house, decorate the plot or create a shop.

That's a good goal for an hour's time and it gives the play a sense of what EMC is. Can hint at frontier life as a stage-2 goal for a second or third play session. (And yeah, could be a chain of short tutorials with prizes for completion of each stage.)

Also have an option for players that want to skip right to frontier living. Personally, I'd rather read a forum post than go through a tutorial.