Yet Another AMA.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SoulPunisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. A member of the nobility in the Roman Empire. Maybe Ancient Greece - not really ancient but I'd be cool with living in the Eastern Roman Empire before the Turk invasions and subsequent formation of the Ottoman Empire/Turkey too.
    I mean, partially - the main reason I haven't signed in properly in a while, besides for Friday last week, is that my main account is banned. It doesn't feel right to play with my alt account and even the forums are kinda weird to me with that. You'll probably see more of me when EMC updates to 1.13 - I love this update and have a base in single player that made me reaalllyyy interested in making an EMC outpost.
    Kinda well. I found a place to find relatively inexpensive flats (300€ a month) in Baden-Württemberg that's nearby to 'her' and the university I would, ideally, be going to. There's also slight potential I could also move in with her (I hate being so cryptic with her name lmao), although given her parent's attitudes to her moving in with friends she's known since she was eleven years old and the fact her mother thinks I'm a satanist, I wouldn't count on it. A job should be kinda easy to find, although I worry about the ability to afford a flat, food, WiFi, a car, everything.

The part that really gets me confused is whether I go with a Krankenkasse or get state-sponsored healthcare from the UK's NHS. I've still got no idea if registering at a Einwohnermeldeamt entitles me to just chill there for the foreseeable future. I'm going to have to get a tax adviser too and prevent myself from getting double taxed - that's if that agreement survives brexit.

And I've yet to find out if brexit will can this entire plan too and force me to change strategy. The plan was to move out before March 2019 and register as a German resident so I wouldn't get deported but clearly that isn't feasible for me at the moment. I'm now aiming for August 2019.
    She's good. We recently finished binging every single Marvel movie together and called for three days in a row and fell asleep still on the phone at 5AM. She cried while watching Wall-E with me the other day because it was cute. While packing to go to Serbia the other day her mum had a big argument with her - but hey, nothing new, and my desire to personally shout some angry words at her mum is already at its maximum. But she's been there for two days now and she's fine, horned vipers and scorpions in her garden aside, and she's been to some really nice restaurants and seems to be having a good time with family since. She's sending me a package in the mail with Serbian food in when she gets back to Germany in three weeks so, that's nice :p

We were supposed to be meeting on August 25th, but that plan, like all the others, has fell through and it doesn't look like she's coming to England anytime soon. That's okay, though - I agreed I'd take her to a concert in Germany next year and meet up with her the day before. I'm determined to at least make that happen.
    I can't really quit seeing as I wasn't addicted :p

But yes, as of tomorrow it will have been a month since I last touched one. I'm not going to go into the exact reasons because obviously this is a family friendly server and I don't want to say anything that sounds like I'm encouraging using them, but the short version is that I don't feel anything from them and it's not worth putting carcinogens in my body if there's not even a semblance of an upside :p

Overrated tho smh
    THE AQUATIC UPDATE

Have to say though I can't imagine what else.
    I'm doing pretty good. I babysat my brother for my mum this morning and fit in quite a bit of Dishonored 2 and EU4 in between then and cooking. Probably gonna sit down and write some more of the novel thing I've been working on since January in this current draft version I actually like. Might practice some German before I go to sleep.

How about you? :p
  2. I'm doing pretty good

It makes total sense why you want to be so cyptic with her name heck i won't tell some of my friends my "lady friend's" name so i get you. bro or broette or apache attack helicopter?
  3. If you could have any super power, which would it be and why?
  4. actually to be honest i dunno it just seems like the right thing to do for some reason
  5. Teleportation. I could go wherever I wanted just by thinking of the place and be there in an instant. Would also be useful to get away from uncomfortable situations.
    Because she's absent. You use apostrophes to refer to things when they're not there and I'm also kinda personifying her a bit, so it counts with that too, I think; I actually really suck with punctuation use.
    607 and FadedMartian like this.
  6. This makes me feel good for knowing it. :D Can't you invent some sort of nickname for her, like I had for CSA, OrangeDuck and Lanata?

I think perhaps it's to make clear that you're talking about a particular, special, person, and not just a friend.

Thanks for asking the good questions, Tom! :D
    AltPunisher and TomvanWijnen like this.
  7. Wohoo on the first part. :D

Cars are ridiculously expensive. If consider all costs, add in some more because there sure will be more costs. :p I'd advise you to either live close to public transport (which is pretty good in Germany generally!) or live close enough that a bicycle and/or walking would suffice, and wait with the car until you're financially fully stable, and actually feel a need to have one. I feel like if you live close enough to school/work/shops/transport, you should easily be able to do without a car, saving a crapton of money. :)

Food - you're in one of the better countries for that, Germany has extremely cheap food, and in the cheap shops (Aldi, Netto, Lidl, [insert more]) it's even cheaper. :) (compare that to France, my goodness we're paying like 40 euro's on average PER DAY here while on holidays ... )

Good to hear. :) Even though her parents might suck, and it might be really tempting to shout in their faces like they're dirt, I think it's better (for both of you) to try to keep a relatively acceptable relation with them, as, you know, you hope you'll be "closer" to them in the future. Sure, disagreeing on most stuff is okay, but ensure you can happily say hi. :)

I also want Serbian food. :p Anyways, I hope you can meet soon. :)

Good to hear that. :D They're overrated indeed. :p (types this as the neighbour on this camping lights her next cigarette - this is the first time I've seen someone smoking on a camping, and god it's awful. Hope they're leaving soon. :p)

Ah yeah, the aquatic update (not the update aquatic <.<), nice. :)

Maybe redstone would be interesting to explore for you? It's so nice to work on redstone long after the sun has set... :rolleyes:

Good to hear! Since you're so actively practising German, I can only assume you'd be easily accepted there. :) And you know English (obviously :p), which is also a great pre. ;) (as Germany's certainly not the most English-speaking country...)

I liked this quote: "Babysitting my seven year old brother. I asked him what he wants to be when he's older. He responds with "I want to get paid for killing people."" ... :p

Oohhh a novel thing! Interesting! Good luck - that should be something you'd enjoy. :) Let me know when there's anything to be read, as I always like reading your stuff. :)

I'm doing great, on holidays in France at the moment, enjoying some free time finally. :p Only one more year (unless I mess up now :p) until I'll have to endure university... Anyways, that'll be interesting, let's not look at the future too much yet, there's 3 and a half weeks left until everything begins again here, those 3 and a half weeks will be great. :)

I personally don't mind it much - when I see "her" or ""her"" in any of your posts I'll immediately know who it's about, as who else could it be. ;)

Oh no, now you're pressuring me into asking more questions... :p I'll have to think about that a bit longer. :p

Whoops this turned into quite a long post. :p
    607 likes this.
  8. I do forget that Germany has nationalised railways (owned by the state-owned Deutsche Bahn) and as a result they're extremely cheap. In the UK they're owned by the biggest scumpanies in the entire nation (British Virgin and the, ironically, Deutsche Bahn child company Arriva) and it costs £200 to get from my Liverpool to London (355km), while I could get from Frankfurt am Main to Berlin (551km) in Germany for 20€. I should start remembering that :p

Cars are so fun to drive though, I did 96km on the expressway the other day while driving home on my lesson and I've never felt such a good adrenaline rush. I wanna do that on the autobahn and just not give driving up, even for a little bit :p
    Only recently. I stopped around July in 2017 because I started actually trying with college and it consumed all the time I was using for German practice. I left last month and picked it back up again, although I'm still not able to hold a conversation like I was. I'll probably try to get some real lessons somewhere so that I'm not trying to apply to be a resident of Germany without a certification.

However, I'd love to go do English journalism in Germany as I'm sure there's at least some demand for it, especially seeing as one of 'her' friends wanted to do it in university, although I'm not sure what happened with that.

Another friend is studying to become an English teacher, but she'll be going to Switzerland to do it. Hopefully there's some demand for English teachers so I can *hopefully* do that when I arrive as a temporary thing. Just need to get a TEFL, however that works.
    There might be sometime soon, when I've finished the first draft. I'll hit you up if/when I finish :p

Good to hear you're having free time in France before uni :p Hopefully you start with a clear head and everything.
    I tried 'K' for a bit, but it made her sound like some kind of super villain. Maybe I'll think of something in the future.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  9. Good to see you here ! And that things are good...

Anything new on the writng front?

And in Germany.. have you been on the Romantic road yet?
  10. Do you have any pets?
  11. *didn't get notifications for these idk why and also didn't really check EMC since Thursday*
    I have a collection of about twenty song-poem things sitting in a folder somewhere and a bunch more poems that have no coherent meaning when placed together sitting somewhere else. There's two in the first group I'd love to share, but they're too vulgar for EMC, one is too political for the writer's corner, and they're both too unfinished to share elsewhere - plus, they're kinda designed to have an instrumental behind them and be spoken by someone, and I'm not in a position to create either of those other prerequisites. Maybe they'll surface at some point.

I have two short stories sat somewhere too. One has a psychotic therapist in love with the body of one his clients who he murdered himself - my head was, obviously, in a really weird place when I wrote it (I've actually written it twice) - can't share that here, although I might slap it up on my (fairly inactive) blog at some point. The other is about a girl using a virtual reality device to have her mother lured into a jungle by the girl's friend and mauled to death by a tiger, written when I was annoyed at my mother for her opinion on a certain internet friend of mine - this one will probably go up at some point. I tried to expand a short story I wrote when I was fourteen, which is actually the first thing available in my 'Things I Wrote Thread', that's pretty much about a personified Death trying to destroy the world; that took on a life of its own though and I'm not prepared to write two full stories at once.

The other full story is something I created with the intent of turning it into a 50,000 word novel. I'm 20,000 words in and it's expanded into something I expect to be at least 80,000 words for the first draft, at least. It's set in a future world heavily affected by climate change, whose 'final' nail in the coffin was a four-way nuclear war between the United States, a superstate known as the European Federation, China, and Russia. Humanity survived the calamity, in part because some on the surface just did, and a private European company set up underground bunkers. A few centuries later, one such bunker is failing (in Wales), and a small group are sent to the company's research facility (in Germany) and fetch a device that will allow them to live on the surface; a main character is part of the group, another two are bunker residents (the President/main character's dad and a 'normal' girl). The first character has to survive natural threats, other people, animals, and animals that were genetically altered in research facilities and as a result are incredibly lethal. The President must survive his people's wrath, his own personal demons, and political intrigue. The girl must survive life as a normal person in the failing bunker. Think the original Fallout meets Metro 2033, I guess.

My God, that would be an awful blurb.
    I've never left England, besides to go to Cyprus when I was three years old, so no :p

Maybe one day I might. It's close to where I want to live, so why not.
    I have an eleven year old Jack Russel Terrier I've had since I was seven and she was six weeks old. I have an axolotl I've owned since it was a forming fetus in its egg - I had two, but one died last year. Also have a rabbit that's actually my parent's, but I stepped in to look after it too about 4 months ago - we had another, but it died in June due to an extremely sudden heatwave (we went from around 10 degrees every day to 30 degrees every day in less than a week) that's still plaguing the UK even now and its effects will definitely be felt during the winter - thank you climate change!

My sister also owns a hamster and my 7 year old brother does too - although the latter responsibility does seem to fall on other people quite often.
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.
  12. Yanny or laurel? xD
  13. I recall my answer being laurel, so probably that.
    JeffiGaming likes this.
  14. British accent?
  15. Which US words do you hate? For example: Flashlight, because you call flashlights torches for some reason
  16. Doesn't exist. Every town in the UK has a different accent and they all sound different. Then add in the fact the UK is made up of 4 different countries who are historically very racist towards eachother and Wales even had laws preventing English-Welsh children from being conceived and there's not a lot of mixing to get rid of the accents.

What most Americans think of when they think British accent is Queen's English, which is spoken by the aristocratic membership of society and BBC presenters so people can understand them. When they hear scouse they think its an Irish accent, the incumbent of the President of the United States forgot that Wales even exists despite them being one of, if not the most, oldest ethnicities and cultures in Europe, and they make fun of Scottish accents smh.

So uh to answer your question... no?
    I already explained the flashlight vs torches thing in another thread so I've got this delayed answer out of the way, but I hate the American Band-Aid, Canadian bacon, checkers, elevator, and there's the American word for a butt that bsgins with an F that means something else here, and I also hate the words garbage and gasoline.
    TomvanWijnen, 607 and Otus_NigRum like this.
  17. Hm, I do like the word 'garbage'. I do prefer 'rubbish' though, I think.