"Yes" or "No"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MoreMoonshine, Jul 29, 2018.

1. I have recently joined EMC, and the server is great and all. At the time I am making this thread I'm about an hour old in EMC time. Okay so I am making this thread regarding the several questions me and my 1290 day old brother have asked in chat. You see most of the time you can ask something in public chat and you'll get answered, but most of the time you have to deal with several people ignoring a "Yes" or "No" question. And let me tell you it is so damn irritating to politely ask a simple question and be ignored like I have been for the past few months. If you are reading this and someone asks a question in chat, if you have the heart or even a little shred of politeness answer their question please. It's the least you could do to them instead of ignoring them and turning your back on them. Just people, when someone asks a question it would redeem the community if you could answer with a "Yes or a "No".
    ChloePr1ce and FadedMartian like this.
  2. Players on EMC are often AFK or otherwise incapacitated (fighting bosses, doing other work on their computer). It's normal for some people to not answer questions.
    Gawadrolt, 607, RainbowPony and 3 others like this.
  3. Chances are they are not always afk, if they were when I do /p (player name) it would say "Away" and it would just mean so much if they would just answer instead of ignoring the question.
  4. I understand it can be frustrating. Please keep in mind that some people may be afk at the time, maybe they missed it or simply don't know the answer to the question.
    Gawadrolt, 607, purplebook163 and 3 others like this.
  5. Like I said, they aren't always gonna be afk, It's not like I'm gonna join an smp with 10 people and they are all gonna be afk. Like I said, if you are active just please answer with a "Yes" or "No".
  6. Heya,
    Welcome to the Empire! Sorry to hear it's a struggle to get questions answered. When I first started out I used the wiki for a lot of what I wanted to know if I couldn't get a quick simple answer in chat. https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/

I hope you stick around like your brother has. Looking forward to seeing you in game.
    Gawadrolt, 607, purplebook163 and 6 others like this.
  7. It's just the nature of the server. It's very easy to miss things said in chat when there is no alert (as in PMs or using someone's name). Yes I'm sure some people don't bother answering but just remember that not everyone is like that. I myself don't answer if I don't have an answer to give.
    Gawadrolt, 607, purplebook163 and 2 others like this.
  8. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but a lot of times I'm playing Minecraft I don't even look at the chat so I tend to miss things. I do try to answer any questions I can though when I'm online
    Someone already brought this up but it could also be that people online don't know the answer
  9. Well, I just wanted to make sure it got spread around because I've been going for the past few months with this happening and It's annoying when you ask something and you don't get answered.
  10. some people also have chat off due to not wanting to talk to others or just because sometimes it can be annoying. as stated before the wiki is a good source
  11. I 100% agree with this, especially when there are 10 other players on and EVERYONE ignores you, even the ones who are not afk
    MoreMoonshine likes this.
  12. My ALT has its chat off.

There are some players, like myself, who do try and answer questions to newbies. We were all new once, we all needed help.
    Gawadrolt, FadedMartian and ThaKloned like this.
  13. I know these struggles and the reasons are simple! Like some said, people are usually afk or working on other things while ask by a machine. Some players are talking with others in a group chat or PM so they do not pay attention to other chats.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  14. Which server? (SMP1, 2, 3, etc.)

So what kind of yes/no questions are we dealing with here? See, I've seen many players ask way too obvious yes/no kind of questions and apparently tend to get upset because players saw right through that.

For example: "Does anyone know if you can silk-pick infected stones?". What if all players who don't know suddenly responded with "no"? That would only generate a spam-like situation which would be highly annoying to most other players. I don't need to see one half of the server answer "yes" and the other answer "no". What's the use to that anyway?

Sure: I go on assumptions here because I don't know what kind of questions you've been asking, hence me asking ;)

But even so, the point still stands: what's the use for anyone to answer if they honestly don't know? And since this is a yes/no question you didn't leave any room for "I don't know" either ;)

This is also assuming your target audience actually understood your question. Once again assumptions on my part but I've seen waay too many 'odd' questions: "Can I click this sign?". What sign? Where? Why?

Which is my second point: you're also assuming your question could actually be answered in a yes/no manner. "Only Siths deal in absolutes :D" ;)

That's assuming that I can.

Sorry, but there are more sides to this issue than just people ignoring the question. Without knowing what the actual question was the whole argument is, in my opinion, meaningless.
  15. It's not like I can list every single question that I have asked, they are mostly simple Yes or No questions that can easily be answered by experienced members. There is no question that I am focused on specifically, It's all of my questions. The problem is most of the time nobody answers when they know the answer but don't want to spend their precious time answering it.
    Windylava likes this.
  16. I wouldn't say I'm that new, I have experience and some intelligence because I've been watching my brother play for 3 years.
  17. But you are assuming they know the answer and won't answer you. Simply because they don't answer doesn't mean they know it. I missed one of your questions last night. Just like I said before it's easy to miss anything in chat. We were fighting mobs on difficulty 10. Chat is the last thing you'd look at on level 10 :p
  18. Unless you PM me directly, I dont answer because either A. I didnt see it, B. I dont know the answer, or C. I dont care.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  19. I am guilty as charged here. I understand that a lot of my communicating has been done via voice chat on Discord and I don't usually pay attention to community chat. If I do catch the question I will try my best to answer it to the best of my ability but I also suggest visiting a different SMP. Each SMP has different people and some are more active and engaged than others. I usually see a lot of questions answered in SMP2 chat. But I can see how this problem happens and I guess we all just need to try to be a little more engaged and active in-game chat. Sorry you had this happen to you. I don't think it represents the community as a whole. If you ever need anything you can always message me and I will try to respond to the best of my ability.

Those are my thoughts on this, hope it helps.

Love,
    windylava
    607, FadedMartian and Big__Kev like this.
  20. I really think it has to do with the SMP, I know on smp2 we really try to answer the questions of players if they have any.