WyntyrRaevyn's Orienteering race

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by WyntyrRaevyn, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Well its been almost 2 years on the Empire for me and between random adventures, to making new friends, its been a blast. Last year I didn't do anything for my one year because it was also my wedding day, but this year I thought I might do something different. Something that isn't normally found for things like this. Thus, I present to you WyntyrRaevyn's Orienteering Race!

For those of you who don't know what orienteering is, it is a group of sports that requires navigational skills using a map and compass to navigate from point to point in diverse and usually unfamiliar terrain, and normally moving at speed.

On my race course you will begin at the starting point and find the first flag. Within a 10x10 block radius around each flag will be a hidden message chest with a clue to where the next flag is. Using the livemap and your in-game compass you must find the next flag and repeat the process of finding the chest, etc. In addition to each clue will be one letter of a passcode. Your objective is not only to make it to the end of the race first, but also with the correct code. The first person to make it to the end of the course WITH the correct code wins.

There will be prizes including various promo and rupee prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
    1st place: Chicken Skewer, 16 diamonds, 20k rupees
    2nd place: 2016 Liberty Sword, 32 emeralds, 10k rupees
    3rd place: one stack of Iron Blocks, 5k rupees

If you wish to donate to the prize pool, donations will be accepted on my 2nd res /v +wr2 on /smp7

Now onto the important bits, the when and where: this event will be held on December 12th @ 8:15pm EMC time. At the event start everyone will gather at the frontier nether on SMP7 (/nether), where I will answer any last minute questions, and then let the fun begin. Since this is in the nether I recommend bringing armor weapons and food, basically anything you would for a normal adventure out of town.

Hope to see you there! Much love ♥Wyntyr♥
  2. Looks awesomely amazing!
    Equinox_Boss and WyntyrRaevyn like this.
  3. Sounds cool!
    I hope it'll be fun, I'll keep watching this thread as I'd like to know how this goes! :)
  4. This sounds like it'll be a blast, looking forward to it!
    Equinox_Boss, WyntyrRaevyn and 607 like this.
  5. Good morning bump
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. +9001

Edit: cant go if its at 8:15
  7. Afternoon bump!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Bedtime Bump
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. This sounds awesome! I've done some orienteering irl & I love it. I hope to be able to make it! I have a question about the hidden chests: are some of them buried? I ask for 2 reasonds: 1 bringing proper tools, 2 because I can see that being problematic. The first player to dig up a chest probably won't hide it again and/or someone comes along while it is exposed. Just curious how that's supposed to work.

An early happy anniversary (Irl & EMC)!
  10. Good question and the answer is in the op. Message chests. Put a sign on the chest saying message on the top line then toss a book in the chest with the clue in it and when you run over it a message pops up in your chat. So no digging necessary :D just run around the 10x10 area around the flag til the message pops up in your chat. I have tested this several times in all worlds extensively and found it was the best way to give the race a bit of challenge :) hopefully this answers your question M_M
    Equinox_Boss, Mob_Meal and 607 like this.
  11. I love hiking and orienteering IRL. Sounds like fun. Count me in.

Are there any limitations on things like horses, elytras, or nether warping which would alter the speed and/or method of travel?
  12. I wasn't going to, I suspect most people wouldn't want to risk loosing wings in lava tho. And horses as well. It's still players preference on modes of travel but a little common sense says most people will probably stick to a foot race. As for nether warping well it's already in the nether so leaving it via portals would actually make the race longer for the person who tried. Again common sense says no warping :)
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  13. Sweet! I didn't even know that was a thing! Gonna have to utilize that sometime.

14. With a giant nether lava pool between you and your destination though it might actually save time warping back the overworld and using a fast horse in a straight line on flat terrain instead of making a wide detour or building a bridge. It would be completely situation dependent though.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to it.
  15. I hope to try to make this
  16. Daily Bump
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. Final Daily Bump. Don't forget the race is tonight at 8:15 pm :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. Final final bump! 10 minutes to go! smp7
    MatthewDA likes this.
  19. JD3HQ79J6R :D
    WyntyrRaevyn likes this.