Wow What Is This!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Acemox2k, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been off the forums and game for a few months. I signed in tonight to update and keep my place and all. What do i see on the side bar of the forum in the advertisement? I guess things have been pretty rough for EMC cause things are getting seedy.

[Image removed ~MrSocks]
    NuclearBobomb and UltiPig like this.
  2. I'm not entirely sure this is family friendly...
  3. I hear you, I can honestly say it is not! Even in this day and age, I stand by that!
  4. Woah. :p
    It looks like that's a Google Ad: you can click the 'X' in the corner to remove it. You can then also specify a reason, and perhaps report it if you think it's inappropriate. :)
  5. its funny, google is taking over. I believe its a rotating add. I was just surprised because i had not seen anything like that before on EMC.
  6. I don't think EMC has anything to do with it (besides blacklisting specific sites). Ads are based off of your browsing history (mostly).

Google puts you under the category of "gamer"
    Ad websites buy ads for "gamer"
    you get ad
    FadedMartian likes this.
  7. Yes, EMC has nothing to do with it.
  8. Well then. Was not expecting that today.
  9. I also recommend Adblock as that helps a lot with not seeing these advertisments :)
  10. I will let Aikar know so he can investigate blacklisting that type of ad.
    607 likes this.
  11. Haha, now, if you read this thread, you won't know what the ad was, and you might start imagining some stuff much worse than this was... :p
    (seriously, though, what's up with ads these days? There's one ad in kid games on smartphones now that feels very inappropriate :confused: (I had described it at first, but it's probably safer if I don't))
  12. Dang, 16 min too late to understand. :confused:
    Patr1cV likes this.
  13. It was a picture of a lady in a dress sitting on the floor with two questionable words beside her.
  14. I sometimes get ads to dating sites for finding mature women. I always try to report them as inappropriate for this site. It seems to have helped, they are far less frequent. Not sure why I would get that based on my browse history, except that they might determine that I'm a mature adult male.
    607 likes this.
  15. Well, this is the main reason why I run an adblocker on all my browsers. You may trust the website you visit, but you'll never know for sure where the ads are coming from and what kind of ads those will be.

And this is just talking about legitimate situations. It has also happened plenty of times in the past where an ad. source got compromised ("hacked") and abused to spread malware around. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen occasionally.

In this time and age running an ad blocker isn't only about getting rid of unwanted annoying stuff, it's also about plain out protection.
  16. I'd advocate against ad blockers, but I don't really feel like it at the moment. :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I pay no attention to the ads. I often forget they are there until one pops up with something eye catching. Then I just go back to ignoring them.
    607 likes this.
  18. Gonna go ahead and close this thread as the purpose of it is served. For issues such as these in the future where inappropriate content may be appearing on EMC, I strongly advise that staff be contacted via a private message regarding the issue in lieu of a post being made on the forums about it.
  19. Just wanted to provide an update that we don't get to act on bad ads until AFTER they are placed.

Some of those questionable advertisers intentionally target minecraft websites as they know younger audiences are likely to click.

I'm pretty sure those ads are against Google's rules for AdSense, so they should eventually be banned, but I did ban their entire account from advertising on EMC again and banned the website it linked to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.