[WIP] The Flaws WIthin Us

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by fighter_Ethan, Jul 2, 2021.

?

Have you published a book?

Yes 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No 1 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. Ever since I was little, I have dreamed of publishing a book. Because of that, I have consistently and constantly pushed myself to excel in reading and mastering the english language. This is a VERY rough draft of an idea i have come up with. Keep in mind the chapters are intentionally short, as they're currently simply a guideline. I'll post an excerpt below and if you want to read on, click the Wattpad link. All rights reserved to me, though!

Prologue

It was the worst of times in all respects. Nobody knew this in the year A.D.
    2053, however. The only person who did was in fact too corrupt to care. He was also a man of extreme power, but that will be discussed in much detail later. For now, let us begin with the story of earth's only and last country, the United Republic of Earth.

The URE was, in fact, a very squalid country. The streets overflowed with garbage, the oceans were rank with liquid (and solid) waste, and the atmosphere was a thick fog of toxins that seeped into every opening not closed, every crack not filled. It killed animal after animal, species after species, to the extent that only one survived: us. As can be seen, the people of the URE were either very stupid or very ignorant. It has been debated by numerous government executives- myself included- which they actually were. The general consensus seems to say that they were both.

Now, not to completely strip them of their dignity, I will give it to them that they didn't have to care. They lived in highly advanced houses they like to call "pods", probably dubbed that from their spherical appearance and the fact that they hovered over the ground just enough to not be affected by the now-common earthquakes caused by the downtrodden state of the earth. Every pod had an artificial "atmosphere", so humanity wouldn't die out from toxins. All pods also had the great-great-great grandchild of Virtual Reality Headsets- the Physical Projector. The Physical Projector was- and still is- a marvel of modern technology, created by the recently deceased John R. Morris. Nobody, except the repairmen (or, as they liked to be called, "Fixers"), knew how it worked, save the fact that when you put the headset on, a physical, well, projection of yourself was manifested into the real world, and you could physically interact with objects, all without the risk of getting hurt or the inconvenience of needing to get out of your nightclothes! All you had to do was think, and it would happen! These pods led to a life of comfort and convenience, despite the fact that the world was on the brink of collapse.
    In fact, society was based around such conveniences. Mega-corporations controlled the economy. Nobody cared that the world was fragile. People killed others in the name of convenience, and society accepted it. They stole because it was easier than making their own money. It was of no concern to the public. Sounds less like a utopia and more like an anarchy, right?
    Wrong.
    I cannot explain this adequately from my view alone, so I shall allow you to read from the view of one particular Doctor Mathias Davis.

The Full Story: https://www.wattpad.com/880970906-the-flaws-within-us-preface

Please note that the story is not finished!