Why I am never going to summer camp ever again.

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Otus_NigRum, Jul 6, 2018.

1. This event occurred about 2 years ago, and still freaks me out till this day. It was my first time ever at a summer camp, and it was fun to say the least, lots of activities and lots of new friends. This event is not related to the fun stuff, but to the grim stuff...

While at camp, I met this boy who was about my age. He was short and had blonde hair like me, although he was more of a popular kid who liked to get in trouble than I was. To make a long story short, while at camp we recognized a boarded up, run down wooden bunkhouse which was a bit away from the main bunkhouse area, it was more so in the trees. We asked a counsellour about it, but he told us that it was his first week and that he didn't know anything about it, but he did mention that it had been abandoned for years, and since it wasn't near the main site, it was just shrugged off.

One night, the kid I met, who I can not remember the name of (let's call him Tyson, because he looks like a Tyson) asked me to stay up late until all of the lights in the counsellours cabins were off. I agreed, for whatever stupid reason, and he whispered into my ear and asked if I wanted to go to that abandoned bunkhouse. What I then said was the dumbest thing I have ever said, I said yes, not because I wanted to, but because I wanted to be cool.

Thus, we sneaked outside and made our way down the gravel path which led to the abandoned bunkhouse. As we got closer, the pathway got more patchy and way more dirty, up until we got to the bunkhouse. It was very big, and if you have ever gone to summer camp you would understand, it isn't some small wooden hut like some people imagine, these things could fit more than 10 kids. We both noticed that the door was boarded up, and that's why we were so intrigued anyway, why would anyone just close this useful bunkhouse down? Without a way through the door, we crawled through an open window which seemed to have been busted just for us. When we got inside, it was pitch black, and it smelled really bad, just like mold, moss, and animal feces. It was so dark in fact, we had to hold our arms out, but we still managed to bump into the rusty cots that were all still in their places on the floor.

Now this is where it gets really bad..
    While walking around I could hear somebody jumping on the cot beside me, I got snappy and told Tyson to cut it out. "That isn't me, I thought it was you," I heard Tysons voice from the other side of the room. My heart dropped. There's always that feeling that no one can ever describe and that was it, I felt like I was going to puke. The bouncing kept going, it sounded like someone jumping up and down on a squeaky mattress. At that moment, Tyson and I both bolted it to the open window. While he jumped out, I heard the jumping stop, and I heard a big thud on the ground and I could hear loud footsteps running towards me. Heart pumping, as I was crawling through the window I felt two hands grab my leg, but luckily I was already out.

At that moment, we ran outside of the edge of those woods as fast as we could, right onto the pavement and into our bunks, which we locked the door of straight away. I advised that we should tell the counsellours, but Tyson shrugged my suggestion off and told me to not. Which I did, and that was the dumbest thing that I ever made the choice of doing. Luckily, we slept through the night without any interruption, although I couldn't go to sleep for hours after that, and the next day I was fatigued. Nothing strange happened after that...

Who knows what was jumping on that bed, maybe it was two campers getting it on, but if not, it's incredibly unsettling to have known that something was bouncing up and down on a mattress, literally 5 feet away from me. Nothing scares me more till this day.
    607, FadedMartian, MoreMoople and 2 others like this.
  2. Fun story to tell at least! Only camp I've ever been to was a campground up in Boone NC. Nothing too spooky besides a dark bath house and a bear here and there.
    FadedMartian and Otus_NigRum like this.
  3. Never went to a summer camp, was threatened to go to one but never did. The only "summer camp" that I did was up in Leadville, CO for a leadership program. Was at a community college campus which had dorms and food. We did some neato stuff like rafting and climbing the highest 14teener in Colorado. Never thought to sneak out. The only thing that scared me during that program which was this guy that you know he's been through cross fit training to "take your sunglasses off and let me truly see how you are acting" on a sunny day. To this day, I kept that thought of, "To know what a person is truly acting, you must see their eyes" concept. It's a bit freaky to me not seeing other people eyes when they wear sunglasses. This especially gets irritating when you need sunglasses and you are worried if the guy you are working with is angry or not. Have to tread on the cautious side
  4. It sounds like you encountered a haunting spirit. Living humans need light to move around effectively and this thing had no problem moving in darkness. And the fact that the building was abandoned means it wasn't the first time the being had interacted with campers. People had a good reason to leave the place alone. From reading different stories like this, it seems a habit haunting spirits have is to wait until you have a fearful response, like running, then they attack. Just because you heard and felt it doesn't mean it wasn't a spirit, they can still sometimes effect the physical.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  5. Seems very likely, very scary, even spooked when reading this
  6. Huh, that's very strange. I wonder if some things might be different from what actually happened, and your perception then was altered by your tenseness, and your memories now have been altered by time.