Where have I been for two years?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SSRCcorp, May 24, 2018.

1. The last two years away from EMC

Most new players probably know me as SSRC, but older players will recognize me as windylava. I left in the fall of 2016 at the start of college. With such an intense focus on my career and education, I had felt I could not juggle EMC as well. However, I now feel as if things are stable in my life that I am able to return you all and this amazing community. Yet, the question remains; what have I been up to?

Shortly after leaving EMC, I began making friends at my college. I meet some amazing people shown below are some of my great friends I made.

In November, I participated in my very first political demonstration. The one thing I will note is that I have never meet such nice people in my life. A random mother who was with her teenagers offered me a water bottle and some granola bars! (We became good friends).

Picture has been removed by IceQueenDawn

I ran for freshman class president and lost my first attempt at political involvement. At the end of my freshman year I tried again to run for class president and I put all my energy into the campaign. Sadly, I still came up short; losing the election on the eve of my birthday. However, a day later our SGA had to have a special election for the Student Government President, the top job in our whole college. With two losses under my belt and my friends thoroughly supporting me I spent my birthday making election posters. A week later I was elected my college’s first openly LGBT Student government president and first freshman ever elected to the office; the election was a nail biter scrapping by with only a 7 vote difference.

After surviving my freshman year, one friend stood apart from the others. My friend also a member of the LGBTQ community came with me to Pride in Philadelphia during the summer of 2017.

Starting my second semester of my sophomore year, I resigned from SGA president to apply for an Internship working at the New York State Senate. To my surprise I got in and since January 2018 I have been learning so much about state government and the truly amazing people that work behind the scenes in gov. that regardless of political affiliation, really do care about people and just want to help.

In the Internship we had to create a bill and that we would debate and play Senator for a day in a mock legislative session. My bill was to upgrade the existing Amtrak rail service along the Empire Corridor to High Speed Rail. With an estimated 9 billion dollar price tag and many complications, I faced an uphill battle to see this bill passed. However, after an intense debate on my bill it passed 16 – 9. You can watch the debate via the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/dNmDeqSyle0?t=2h12m31s

After the internship ended on April 25, I was asked to stay on and was officially hired by my Senator’s office. Below is a picture of the Senator I work for, Senator Roxanne J. Persaud, Senate District 19 – Brooklyn, and the current lieutenant governor of New York Kathy Hochul.

And now we arrive at the present. I do not know what other great adventure await me in the future but I have sure been busy the last two years. It’s good to be back on EMC and I hope everyone enjoyed my re-introduction.

In addition with me being back im going to revive SSRC, so stay posted as we accelerate our new projects and "United, Together, Keep Building A Better Future One Block At A Time!"
  2. Interesting, thanks for the stories. :)
    Welcome back!
    SSRCcorp likes this.
  3. Interesting, how a talented young politician is spending his time building skyscrapers on minecraft :p

Welcome back!
    SSRCcorp and 607 like this.
  4. Really happy to see that you're back at our home of SMP2. Nice meeting you again SSRC!
    SSRCcorp likes this.
  5. Welcome back and thanks for the read :D
    SSRCcorp and 607 like this.
  6. Welcome back, Kyle.
    SSRCcorp likes this.
  7. Not just minecraft... the Empire!

Welcome back.
  8. That's actually super cool. Wow. This is the type of thing I'd love to do here in the UK if my plan wasn't to move to Germany and thus dashing any hope for political office in the UK and Germany.

Welcome back SSRC!
    SSRCcorp and mba2012 like this.
  9. Good job! I definitely understand why you left, cause you sure looked busy. It’s great that you could return and I’ll hopefully see you again soon.
    SSRCcorp likes this.
  10. Welcome back! I admire your passion and your dedication to your chosen career path. Never let that passion go!

Hope to see you on smp7 sometime!
    607 and SSRCcorp like this.