When you find out...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Warlord678, Jun 15, 2017.

?

Well, NOW POLL!

Yes, I did feel shocked when I first saw it. 1 vote(s) 16.7%
No, I did not feel shocked when I first saw it. 5 vote(s) 83.3%
Whaa? I never saw a thing like that! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. WHEN YOU FIND OUT JUST HOW LONG EMC takes to update.
    When I found out just how long they took, I was shocked.
    I was really kinda frustrated, but I can't blame the devs.:mad:
    Anyone else feel this way?
    ShelLuser and WardleDeBoss like this.
  2. Let's see what the replies are after I wake up tomorrow!
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  3. EMC will be 1.12 before long. We are in testing phase already =)

Yes, I know it can be frustrating, but when you have a lot of custom code that can break, it's important to make sure it works properly before releasing. Some servers just reset with their updates, but we have to make sure that any changes don't break what already exists. Imagine an update that affected all sign code....(eeek)
  4. 1.12 was released like a week ago. Considering how long the 1.11 update took to be released onto EMC, I would expect a wait. Aikar said it would be quicker for the update this time. But I agree, the update process on EMC is slow.
    607 and WardleDeBoss like this.
  5. Exactly! Who wants a (mostly) bug free server when you can just update immediately and be kicked off every hour to fix bugs!
    K_Kick, ShelLuser, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  6. A bug free server is what makes EMC great, There's no downtime. Even if there is it's something like the nightly restart or an update.

The reason it takes so long is because of this: The devs spend hours testing the update on the dev server, Making sure there's no interruptions for us players.

Plus EMC has a ton of custom code so it's expected to take this long. If something breaks it can hurt the server and that's what the dev team prevents. If the update was rushed, Things would be more likely to break and it would mean a lot more downtime.
    ShelLuser, K_Kick and 607 like this.
  7. Remembers just last week when permissions broke because an update to code was released without proper testing...*shudders* yeah, let's not do that again
  8. Wait, what? Long!?
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  9. Well son....

In my days it could take EMC sometimes weeks if not even a few months to sort out a full update. I still remember the time when we were merely on Minecraft 1.7 (happy days) and Aikar prepared to go to 1.8. Of course plenty of us were also very happy that it took so long because 1.8 was hardly playable, but that's another story.

We also had a time where the powers that be postponed a waste reset because the upgrade was nearby (personal note: I still think that was a very good call to make back then), yet that left many youngsters complaining that the waste was all wasted up :eek:

Ye gods I feel old now :D

But a little more seriously... This could very well be one of the fastests updates we've had on EMC. With special thanks to the Spigot project which started sending out snapshot versions (which has never been done before!). In case you're not familiar with the name: it's what powers EMC. And a fun fact: the default version for Spigot is still 1.11.2 at the time of writing, if you want 1.12 you'll have to perform a special command (request a special revision). They wouldn't do that if it was already fully safe to use ;)

Quality over speed.
    WardleDeBoss and 607 like this.
  10. Pffft!! There was still a ton of resources left to mine... On top of that plenty of End cities that were still unraided...( I fixed that though.. XD )

So you had to travel further to mine... Isn't that what minecraft is about...
    WardleDeBoss and ShelLuser like this.
  11. Been here since 1.4, update speeds no longer phase me.
    ShelLuser and AncientTower like this.