What really grinds my gears

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MissKells, Apr 7, 2012.

1. There are always solutions, fine they want to spam, let them the chat system should have features to allow separate conversation channels or small group/private channels.
  2. Same situation on smp5
  3. Justin has said that he hopes/plans to implement a better chat system in a near future update. There is a thread dedicated to this.

As for the moderators and town chat, we see town chat wherever we go so even if I'm 30,000 blocks away in the wilderness, I'll still see town chat. This has it's positives and negatives. The positive is that it makes it possible for us to continue to monitor chat from anywhere. The negative is that there is always chat happening even when we are focusing on building or mining, which makes it likely that we will mentally tune it out until something big happens. Usually, a respectful whisper saying, "Edmund, a lot of spam happening in chat!" will get my attention unless I'm dodging ghast and blaze blasts.
    ShadyShannon likes this.
  4. this is quite frustrating have been there many times and had to resort to server hopping just to find what i needed
    so when smp8 came out me and 2 friends teamd up and made a store thats cheap and well stocked and if something is not stocked we will go out of our way to get more while u wait etc ....
    if more shops were like this the community would be so much easier to manage
    Kells18 and DesDeSable like this.
  5. now cod, you are the good shop owner here. it actually is cheap, and you only advertise if someone asks.

as for a new chat system,that brings bac kthe glory days of playing WoW (wotld of warcraft)
  6. To me it sound like you've been a trip to SMP6 .. It cant get any worse than here :(
  7. I hate it when this happens to me on SMP2 everyone on there completely ignores me...................
    Like if i ask for oh i don't know......... Redstone , Redstone lamps , Glowstone , etc etc etc!
    Well peeps sometimes notice me..........
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  8. I remember when it was all perfect. SMP2 just came out, and everybody was happy to not be homeless anymore (space ran out on smp1). we all laughed and played and talked... then a month later it all went to hell. it started getting full, more and more noobs joined (some where even pirated accounts, they told me) and they spammed their shops. there where minimal mods, and no auto kick for spamming... god it was hell. i still have my res there, my first res, but only just so i dont have to rebuild everything. what a shame :(
  9. Plus, in truth, it isn't really like they take up the entire chat box with "Come to XXXX for everything!" or "Where can I find xxxxxx". They say it like, 3 or 4 times. If they keep asking, just give them a friendly reminder that someone just offered it...no reason to be mean by yelling.
    mynetdude likes this.
  10. I really hate when they "such and such a store is cheap and we have everything" its like ok im looking for glass.. u have like 4 things -_- wheres my glass? :p
  11. couldn't agree more, you're right its not like they are taking up the whole chat; and I don't mind if they ask once or twice within 5 minutes then do it again 5-10 minutes later respectfully; we shouldn't have to remind them constantly, one reminder is all unless they are repeat offenders.

I just thought of an idea that could work both for chat and griefers: use a demerit system; (well you kind of already do; that's kicks and bans) but I mean beyond that. Spam one too many times, get your chat privs revoked for XX time, spam chat and don't have items you claim to advertise? Get your chat revoked for XX minutes and have no ability to harvest for XX items you were supposed to have :p (oh wait, that wouldn't matter :().
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  12. I was thinking a private messaged reminder. Face it, if you just type it in the town chat, they probably won't see it. But, the pretty pink/purple lettering of the message is a real attention grabber. :)
  13. Thanks for the tip, I will try to remember :)
  14. Thanks guys for sharing your input :) I didnt want to be the only one experiencing this.
  15. Yes, thank you for sharing.
  16. There are other channels and ways to have private chats. Its called Local and town chat. And private mesaging.
  17. yeah local works, town doesn't there needs to be a "shop" channel so that way we can talk with townies in peace, then if you have house visitors; put them on local heck, why doesn't each res have its own channel? ;)
    imBobertRobert and Kells18 like this.
  18. Because there are a few thousand res' on each server.
    • The people who will ask what shop sells an item right after a person previously asked the same question. So chat goes like so:
    Kinda annoying but I guess sometimes people can be outside town and not see it.

• People who beg for things.
    • People who say they're the best shop in town or blatantly say in chat "Come to my shop it's better than Jim's".
    • People who run events at their Res and they do it all in town chat instead of local so the chat is spammed with whatever's going on there.
    • "Come stay at my hotel, rooms are 500 a night" I don't understand the hotels/apartments etc. Everyone is able to claim a plot of land to do with as you please, why live on a plot of land that multiple people will get the rights to and can take your things?
    • When shops have things scattered about. Most people I've noticed keep their items categorized. Minerals together, building blocks together etc.
    Kells18 likes this.
  19. how can you see chat outside of town? I've never seen chat from outside of town and I would dare ask where I can get something when I'm not even near town. AFAIK only mods can see chat outside of town, as one pointed out they don't always notice it because they're busy enjoying the game as they should be.