What is/are your favorite movie(s)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, May 25, 2018.

?

?

A: Harry Potter (series) 7 vote(s) 31.8%
B: Star Wars (series) 4 vote(s) 18.2%
C: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 vote(s) 9.1%
D: Ice Age (series) 1 vote(s) 4.5%
E: Finding Nemo 3 vote(s) 13.6%
F: Back to the Future (series) 8 vote(s) 36.4%
G: The Ant Bully 2 vote(s) 9.1%
H: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 3 vote(s) 13.6%
I: Finding Dory (sequel of Finding Nemo) 3 vote(s) 13.6%
J: Other (please list in thread!) 14 vote(s) 63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A: Harry Potter (series)
    B: Star Wars (series)
    C: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
    D: Ice Age (series)
    E: Finding Nemo
    F: Back to the Future (series)
    G: The Ant Bully
    H: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
    I: Finding Dory (sequel of Finding Nemo)
    J: Other (please list in thread!)

Anyways, I choose Options A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I.
    Windylava, 607, khixan and 1 other person like this.
  2. I love Finding Nemo...
    Baradar67, khixan and We3_MPO like this.
  3. 1111 1111 111 votes. So in binary: 0111 1111 1111. Ergo: a lot :p

(you didn' t expect me to calculate on a Friday evening, right?) :D

Oh dear We3...

So my counter question: with or without bias? ;)

True story: I have 4 movement boxes (I assume they have a fixed size) all filled to the brim with DVD's. All the regular rectangle sizes. Maybe not too surprisingly 1 of those (not literally but when you add all of it up) is filled with anime.

So.. with bias.

Ghost in the Shell (MAJOR bias involved) - Stand Alone Complex _ Solid State Society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex_-_Solid_State_Society

The problem with this movie (hence me mentioning bias) is that for someone unfamiliar with the franchise this could be a confusing movie. Sorta. When I say "Holy moly, Kusanagi-san" you go wth?!". No spoilers yet ;)

But, and this is why it's one of my favorites: not knowing who kusanagi-san is (I won't share her nickname because that WOULD be a spoiler) also leads up to the whole mystery.

Without bias....

Avalon. 2002. No, not that King Arthur fantasy nonsense. This one.

This movie is AMAZING. If you can get into the story a bit. And from the same director as the previous one I might add. The camera work, the lighting, the angles, the story and the major surprise at the ending.

This is one of my all-time favorites. The movie dates from 2002, I discovered it in 2004 and picked it up cheap, and here we are: 14 years later and I'm still raving about it (I rememver those dates for a reason).

Also: I'm sure all of this is fully EMC compliant.

Nice thread We3!
    607 likes this.
  4. Eddie the Eagle
    MoreMoople likes this.
  5. Pretty much any Marvel movie for me. I also like a Walk to Remember :)
    khixan, The_Mancub and ShelLuser like this.
  6. There are so many movies which I like and enjoy but one of my favourite films are Pulp Fiction (R Rated) and a lot of other Quentin Tarantino movies
    mba2012, JesusPower2 and Big__Kev like this.
  7. Shawshank redemption..... hands down the best movie out.
  8. So many good movies. I think the best ones challenge our perceptions.

Cloud Atlas is one that comes to mind, though it's not my all-time favorite.

I don't know what is.

(Screenplay by Lana and Lilly Wachowski, aka The Wachowski Brothers, writers for The Matrix.)
    We3_MPO and OriginalScuf like this.
  9. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick, released in 1968. Millions of years ago, a tribe of hominid apes have a monolith appear before them, and they learn how to use bones as weapons and use it to drive their rivals away from a water source. Humanity finds another, millions of years later, and finds that it emits a radio signal. They send Discovery One, a spaceship controlled by the sentient artificial intelligence HAL 9000, on a voyage to Jupiter to track down the source. HAL begins to trick the crew on their voyage and gradually gets them killed. I love the themes, the accurate portrayal of spaceflight, what have you.

Alien by Ridley Scott, released in 1979. A commercial spaceship, the Nostrom, detects a distress signal coming from a nearby planet and they land to investigate. They investigate and find dozens of eggs inside of an abandoned spaceship, and things transpire until eventually the crew members are picked off one by one by a rapidly growing alien. Probably one of the best horror and science fiction films of all time IMO.

The Empire Strikes Back by Irvin Kershner, released in 1980. I don't think I need to explain Star Wars to anyone.

Blade Runner by Ridley Scott, released in 1982. It follows Rick Deckard as he hunts down replicas, which are basically androids, that are illegally staying on Earth. My absolute favourite sci-fi film ever.

The Terminator by James Cameron, released in 1984. A robot, called a Terminator, goes back in time to kill Sarah Connor after being ordered to by the AI called Skynet, in order to prevent the birth of John Connor, but he is chased by a man named Kyle Reese. It's fun.

Die Hard by Steven E. de Souza and Jeb Stuart, released in 1986. A German terrorist performs a heist on a company building and NYPD officer John McClane has to stop him. Also very fun and my favourite Christmas movie of all time.

Aliens by James Cameron, released in 1986. Pretty much the same as the previous movie except it's an entire planet filled with the aliens.

Jurassic Park by Steven Spielberg, released in 1993. I don't have to explain Jurassic Park to anyone, do I? It's a great movie with dinosaur special effects that look just as realistic now as they did when I watched it aged 3 - its soft reboot, 2016's Jurassic World, which had dinosaurs 100% done with CGI, doesn't look as good as this. It's pretty damn timeless.

Forrest Gump by Robert Zemickis, released in 1994. Follows Forrest Gump throughout the 1900s as he gets accidentally involved in a number of historical events. I'm a massive history nerd so this movie is pretty fun for me.

Saving Private Ryan by Steven Spielberg, released in 1998. The D-Day scene, which is the film's twenty minute introduction, is what puts it up here for me. The second half is pretty much just generic war movie stuff, but that intro really sets it apart - it's a very visceral and realistic depiction of war, so much so that actual D-Day veterans got flashbacks from it. Just that part alone was amazing.

Rabbits by David Lynch, released in 2002. He describes it as a nine episode sitcom, but I view them all in one singular collection and they're all short films anyway, so I guess it counts as a movie, right? It tells the story of three anthropomorphic rabbits; Jack, Suzie, and Jane, is set entirely within their living room, and they converse in disjointed dialogue that is interrupted with a laugh track and constantly soundtracked by rain. Occasionally, it follows a singular rabbit in the living room, and they recite strange poetry; other episodes include Satan opening a hole in their roof and speaking to them. One of the creepiest things I've ever watched and has a deeper meaning that I love exploring. Also got used in a psychological experiment that researched existential crises in patients on acetaminophen - cool.

All of The Lord Of The Rings movies, directed by Peter Jackson, released from 2001 - 2003.

Zona Zamfirova by Zdravko Ĺ otra, released in 2002. It's basically just two dudes, one wealthy and one not, fighting over a girl called Zona, who really loves the poor guy but isn't allowed to marry him. It's a low budget sixteen year old Eastern European film made in a country that was ravaged by a decade of war and was undergoing a revolution and on the verge of breaking apart, so it's not actually that good, but I have a special memory associated with it, so it gets to go here.

The Dark Knight by Christopher Nolan, released in 2008. Great superhero movie that poses some deep questions and themes, has an amazing portrayal of the Joker in it, a great soundtrack, and Batman. I wish DC still made films like this.

Interstellar by Christopher Nolan, released in 2014. One of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. Accurate portrayal of spaceflight and doesn't even need aliens to be good. Basically just follows a crew searching for a new planet to live on because Earth is dying, with the problem that the new planets orbit a black hole and most are inhospitable.

Deadpool by Tim Miller, released in 2016. I've always liked Deadpool and wanted a movie made about him for so long. It finally came and it was really, really good and is still funny to me.

Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan, released in 2017. Contains zero Americans swooping in to save the day and follows an under-represented chapter of World War II: the allies retreat from continental Europe. Builds tension with sound, has no shooting between actual people, and is just an amazing watch tbh.

I suspect Blade Runner 2049, the 2017 sequel to 1982's Blade Runner might fit here, but I haven't seen it yet.

The Avengers: Infinity War, released in 2018. The only superhero movie I've ever wanted to rewatch.

And also all of the DC superhero movies I wrote a shared universe for, with a Batman and Superman trilogy that actually uses the source material, builds up the heroes, has an actual conflict between Batman and Superman so their fight makes sense, has a Suicide Squad that isn't just 'ANTIHERO AVENGERS', all leading up to an actual endpoint. However these don't exist yet and likely never will because Zack Snyder and Warner Bros. have no taste.

TL;DR: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, The Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, The Terminator, Die Hard, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Rabbits, LOTR, Zona Zamfirova, The Dark Knight, Interstellar, Deadpool, Dunkirk, The Avengers: Infinity War.

Now we need a favourite telly series thread and I can write an even longer essay - with most of it probably taken up by 'why Lost's ending was actually great', 'why Heroes should never have been cancelled', 'why The Simpsons should be cancelled before it harms itself even further', and 'here are seven of my Westworld theories'.
    MoreMoople, BenMA, Windylava and 7 others like this.
  10. There's alot?? But here's a few..

Ferris Beuller's Day Off
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1/2
    Dunkirk
    Deadpool
    Forrest Gump
    Saving Private Ryan
    Band of Brothers (Not a movie, but a large collection hour-long episodes)
    JParsonsX, We3_MPO and khixan like this.
  11. In no particular order -
    The Princess Bride
    Spaceballs
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars (there were no 1-3 nonsense, k?)
    The vast majority of the Marvel movies. First Guardians especially.
    Gattaca
    Mirror Mask (beautiful artwork)
    The Usual Suspects
    Jaws (still awesome)
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    LotR movies by Peter Jackson
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (just the first one)
    The Exorcist (still freaky)
    Alien and Aliens
    Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
    JParsonsX likes this.
  12. I saw a few people mention Forrest Gump, Interstellar, and LOTR. They're great movies!
  13. I haven't read all of these posts yet, and will post a proper reply after dinner. However, I think it's remarkable that you included Star Wars as a series, same for other films with sequels, but put Finding Nemo and Finding Dory separately. :p

Edit: Also, I messed up the vote. I didn't realise multiple votes were allowed, I'm sorry. :(
    We3_MPO likes this.
  14. I really like the Back to the Future trilogy. I've seen the third film only once, though. I quite like Disney movies, and Pixar movies too. Finding Dory was great. I do think I'd want to see it again, even though I watched it in the cinema first, and with Lanata (it's been a while since I've mentioned her here... but of course this was a while ago).
    I think the best movie I've seen is The Truman Show. However, because it's so [heftig, this word doesn't exist in English but it should, I honestly don't know how to convey the meaning otherwise, I wonder how people in English-speaking countries get around without this word], I'd rather not watch it again. Perhaps once in the future, but not any time soon.
    We3_MPO and TomvanWijnen like this.
  15. British English has 'hefty', which is roughly defined to mean 'violent' or 'heavy' but is used in an emotional sense, which is also what 'heftig' shows up to be on Google. I doubt that's a coincidence, as 'hefty' is believed to be derived from the German 'heftig'. You wouldn't use it in a formal context though.

However, it's only really used in North England and Scotland. I doubt you'd hear an American or Southern fairy someone from South England or South Wales using it. Some from a small corner of North-East Wales might, but seeing as the rest of North Wales don't use English besides when required, preferring their native Welsh, you're not going to hear any Germanic words there.

Damn it I turned the movie thread into a lingual thread
  16. Favorite movie, this one is a hard one so I guess I'll have to go by my favorite genres. I'm gonna put the rating next to the film because I do not want people to watch the movies that shouldn't.

Top Favorites by Genre:
    Action: Law Abiding Citizen (R)
    Comedy: Tie between The Proposal (Pg-13) and Every Scary Movie (R) (except number 5)
    Chick Flic: Legally blonde 1 & 2 (PG-13)
    Disaster: Dante's Peak (PG-13)
    Disney: Mulan (G)
    Horror: It (2017) - this is what a horror movie should be! (R)
    Musicals: Chicago (PG-13)
    Superhero: Deadpool (R)

Additional movies I like:
    Shelter (R)
    Black Panther (PG-13)
    She's all that (PG-13)
    She's the man (PG-13)
    GBF (R)
    Twister (PG-13)
    The Notebook - It really is a great film and it made me cry, not many films can accomplish this so it is worthy of respect.
    Evita (PG)
    Pocahontas (G)
    Phantom of the Opera (PG-13)
    Mouse Hunt (PG-13)
    Ghostbuster (PG-13) - but like who doesnt like ghostbusters!
    Armageddon (PG-13)
    Devil wears Prada (PG-13)
    Hunger Games Series (PG-13)
    Forest Gump (PG-13)
    Fried Green Tomatoes (PG-13)

Movies I really do not like and why:
    Brokeback Mountain (R) - Depressing
    Titanic (PG-13) - Rose could've shared the floating debris
    Geography Club (PG-13) - Depressing and unrealistic ending
    Disaster Movie (R) - literally the movie itself is the real disaster
    Twilight (PG-13) - Im not gonna answer this one
    Divergent (PG-13) - felt like a knock of hunger games/giver hybrid
    Transformers (PG-13) - It should've ended alot earlier...

And I couldn't think of any more tho there are most likely many I missed
    MoreMoople, We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  17. Ah, thanks! :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  18. The Lion King
    We3_MPO likes this.
  19. I'll post a more extensive list later, but just for just a little confession, I have a guilty pleasure when it comes to movies, and that's those cheesy Hallmark Christmas flicks. I know, I know, they're dumb, predictable, and completely unoriginal, but I have a lot of good memories built into them. They're fun to watch, and sometimes that's all you want in a movie.