What Inspires YOU to Build?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PlasmaBanana, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Hey all. It's been awhile. This thread has probably already been done, as have many discussions on these forums, however I was wondering what it was that inspired everyone to build on EMC or in minecraft in general. Especially if you play on a single-player world, since you are primarily building for yourself. I am interested in seeing your responses.
  2. Khixan does :D
    khixan likes this.
  3. Me? I'm more a miner than a builder, but if I do build something, usually it's out of necessity than for aesthetics. I am not a good builder, so I usually try to keep my builds as functional as possible, even if it's visually horrendous~
    khixan, 607 and PlasmaBanana like this.
  4. Jelle defenitly does. He makes some sick stuff ;)
    khixan, Jelle68 and 607 like this.
  5. I like to build on command : following given basic lines and trying to add to it. If someone gives me a concept, an idea, then I can use it as seed for creativity. See the purple 'temple' res by the central town on smp3 for example. Or some parts of the interior of the museum I worked on for Jelly (inspired by the rijke museum?), on utopia. I think I am not that bad at counseling and giving hints about various ways a build could be aesthetically tweaked and improved. The reward is in the satisfaction of the 'customer'.

I have some difficulty developing my own concept, as defining lines, picking between all the starting possibilities, is to me a bit overwhelming. Although sometimes I can have an idea : I let it rest and mature in a corner of my mind, and then at some point it hatches, like for my buddha statue and old-japan-themed group of res on smp9, or my old-stones-being-eeaten-back-by-the-mycelium mooshroom island, or the project I am working on now (an ender hub).
    The satisfaction there is in the building and creative process, and of course showing off the end result to others and hearing them appreciate it.
  6. I love IRL architecture, especially more traditional or classic designs. Whenever I see a cool building I get ideas on how to use that style or design in minecraft.
    khixan and 607 like this.
  7. Nothing. :D

I think the builds I have made in Minecraft, although I have played many hours of it, could be counted on your hands.
    Oh, actually, no. I did have a Creative world for building, and later a short-lasted reboot of it, I've built in a custom map I was working on, and I built when I played multi-player in Minecraft Classic. But only counting Survival, it probably is less than a dozen. :) Because indeed, it seems like nothing inspires me to build.
  8. I get inspired when I go to another player build and sometimes fires the building mood. I went to luckymusical house then I realized I had a build that I left undone. Went back to the build and wanted to finish it. That where I'll be tonight.
    khixan likes this.
  9. I don't mention it too often, but I have a great love for irl architecture. In my earlier years of school, I wanted to become an architect. :)

My imagination inspires me to build. I love trying to recreate irl buildings in Minecraft, and I also love building things for other people. The same thing goes for my drawings. I'd rather create to give to someone else ;)
    liamwill, khixan, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  10. for the most part, its the cucky people that claim residences out of spite and having to rebuild it all but the other part is that i enjoy mixing and matching all the different colours and textures and just building what feels right <3
    khixan likes this.
  11. Thanks :)

For the people wondering: That's the castle at residence 5006, which Zbid and I finished at 2/19/2018 The exteriour is what I like to call "organically designed" meaning it has different temporal layers. The basis is a large grey tower on top of a mountain, "later" the "people who lived here" made walls extending their place into the vally below, and even later the wooden living structures were made. It was originally commisionned as the building for a museum, so the interiours are designed sepperate of that. I made some scetches based on the RijksMuseum, Amsterdam. and got compleatly burned out on the project. After that, I commisionned Zbid to finish it for me, which he did eccelently. :)
    This is what it originally looked like: (render by Tah)

Anyway...

What inspires me to build?

Honestly, I don't know. I usually don't get "inspiered"... I'll just share my design prosess instead :p

I'll use the design around my storage system as an example here, because it had every single part of my design prosess in it (not everything is always needed) and because everyone can check the building out for themselves. It is located at 752. :)

Anyway... To start, we need to go back a few weeks before I decited to start on my new storage. StageCREEPER asked me to build a small zeppelin for him in a mideaval/steamunk style, so, I did:

It is not the best in the world, but I thought it looked kinda cute. I didn't have a lot of time and it wasn't a very expencive project, so the first draft was the final one.

It's later I desided I wanted to make a new storage system. Tom and I had fully outgrown our old "temporairy" one at 859 (which is still in use, by the way)
    I wanted it to have a flying ship, as I liked the ideas of Sage. Only: It needed to be bigger. I decited to use a double residence, to fill it up compelatly with a flying ship.

I started with the boat:

I thought it would be fitting to make it be a cargo ship, because it was for our storage area. To make it, I looked up images of small cargo sailing ships from the time steamboats and sailing ships where used interchangebly. I setteled on river boats used in Friesland (Dutch province). Then I modefied it to make it be a bit more fly-like.

Normally, thease boats look like this:

I altered it a little bit to look like it would be fit to fly and up-scaled it a bit, as you can see. The end result ended up looking original, but still quite notecebly a cargo ship, which is what I was going for.

Instead of a mast, I wanted it to have a big baloon. So, big baloon it was:

And I did some design for the deck of the ship:

Okay. so: I had a ship that wasn't large enough to hold the items. I experimented with making a stoarge inside the baloon, but that didn't work out either.

So, I thought: "If this is a cargo ship, it needs to dock somewhere. In that place of docking they probably need some temporairy stoarge, which I could use for my permanent storage, hopefully."
    I alredey knew I wanted to have a large U-shaped storage area, with sorters in the back. So: I played a bit around, and ultemetly, found a docking configuration that works:

It is docking inside a giant hole, with ropes to keep it down from the sides of the hole, and some walking space under. I could use the walls of the walking space to place my chests in. and, because it was basically underground, I had enough space to place the redstone needed for the sorter in the back behind the chests:

At this point, it was just filling in the details. I worked out how much space I needed for the redstone, whilst keeping in mind the amount of space I'd need to design around it. (which I all tried to keep on one residence, because moving items across multiple is a pain)

This also was the point I decided on a colour sceme. I inevetebly would use a lot of browns with all the wood, and I knew chests are pretty much yellow. I decited I would use basic tetrairy browns as a basic, and accent those with an analogus scheme around yellow (Yellow + Orange + Green) This gave me a lot of freedom (all slabs and stairs (minus purpur) fit in this sceme) and made it really easy on the eye, which is important for a storage system. There also are some purples in there to get some complementairy contrast, but all of them are really dim.

At some point. One half of the docking area was compleatly planned out.
    At this point I showed the design to Tom, asking what he thought of it. Originally, he wanted to keep some stuff on 859 / other residence, but he ultemetly decited he wanted to move 859 in here compleatly, and also have out bulk storage from the farm cetralised here.

The 859 storage is kind of strange, because everything comes in via auctions, which means most of it comes in DC quanteties, making it not suiteble for a sorter. Additionally, Tom din't want to let go of the birch/oak aestethic of that residence. So: he moved to the inside of the balloon. If you go to 753, you will find yourself inside the baloon; in what we call the "auction storage"

We also wanted to have our bulk storage here, which I ultemetly desided to move underground compleatly. Walking on the floor of the residence, you can find a underground room that briges both residences. One side has some of eth controls for the main storage system, the other side has the inlet for the bulk storage system, and teleports to the chestrooms of that bulk system.

This way I still had basically all of the docking area on the 753 res free for aetsthic design.
    Looking up images of ports in real life, I found that most had railroads next to the ships to move get the matirals to the rest of the country.
    There were other options, like more smaller flying ships, or horsecarts, but I knew Tom really likes trains.

So, I looked up images for cargo transtations of the time, and, low and behold, now there is a transtation in the dochking space for the flying ship:

So: if you ask me: "What inspiered you to make your storage system be the docking area of a flying ship, compleat with a full train station." Honestly, I wouldn't know the answer... :)

By the way: according to my statistics, I spent a full 84 hours designing it and I think I needed roughly 30 hours to gather the resources and build it on EMC, meaning that a project like this takes me roughly 100 hours of playtime, if you were wondering.

In the end, this is what all of it put together looks like from the side. The normal sorting system crammed with redstone on the right, and the bulk storage hanging loosly under it on the left.
    MoreMoople, khixan, 607 and 3 others like this.
  12. I read your entire post, and I gathered these sources of inspiration from it:
    1. Photographs of reality
    2. Ideas from other people
    3. Colours
    Does that seem right? :) (including other projects of yours)

khixan and Jelle68 like this.
  13. I love it when there's a story :) Give me a tale to illustrate, and I'll have a blast.
    liamwill, Jelle68, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  14. If I had to, I'd word it this way:

I get a small idea and a place to use it, and develop that idea into something larger, using everything I know about design and aestethic, sometimes looking stuff up to see what it's like in reality. Always focussing on the human element of the build, on what story you want to tell, what scene you want to display.
    I never really have a moment I feel "inspiered" to do something, it's always a long series of desisions that make the projects.
    607 and khixan like this.
  15. Jelle68 I see you made the tango tex design, I was wondering if you had any trouble with redstone? I built his design but for some reasons it did not work, I did a little rewired and turn it into a clock based system to get it to work.
  16. Pewdiepie inspires me to make some wicked stuff I just love his churches and statues! I also get inspiration from sharpie42 he can terra form pretty good!
  17. The Brain Muscle (I think :confused:)
  18. It originally alredey is a clock-based system. I don't know what you're doing differnet. It might be that you're not using it properly with how it needs to get an imput, and it might be that you've let it run whilst disconecting / unloading the chucks, in which case it fails and needs to be cleaned out compleatly.
    I am jet to have problems with the design although the one I use isn't compleatly like the original, I changed it a bit to fit better in the context I'm using it. That is to say: I lagg-proofed it.
  19. I see what you mean, and I'd agree! When talking about inspiration, it feels like it should just come to you. I mean, literally "inspire" means "blow into"; the word is probably connected to the Muses of Greek and Roman mythology that would blow stories into an author's mind. However, in your case, you don't just wait until you get inspired, but you are actively looking for things to use, and considering the things you mentioned. This, by many people is called "looking for inspiration", but is really very different from the more literal kind of inspiration. :) (which I personally think does exist, but you might not agree with me on that)
    Jelle68 likes this.
  20. Usually I am inspired to build in mc when I see some sort of ancient build that I feel would look cool in game. I read ancient history and fantasy occasionally for fun and sometimes find interesting ideas.