What happens when you build an insane super smleter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TransitBiker, Apr 28, 2017.

1. This....

Oh, and there's a "smart" storage silo too. No item sorting (yet). Once the item sorting has been... sorted (figured out by me) i will likely have no less than 10 of these "smart" storage silos. This means the sorting system will likely be built directly underneath the output end of the supersmelter, and the existing integrated silo will be hooked in to the sorter and emptied, then re-connected to act again as storage for sorted items. Will be a fairly vast undertaking, and of course there will be additional screenshots, i promise! All stock vanilla. 1.11

http://imgur.com/a/tdWHU

- Andy
    WardleDeBoss, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  2. Oh, and in the one shot with woodland mansion in the background, is the evolution of my storage systems. First just a pyramid of chests and hoppers, then a big dump of chests and hoppers connected to a mob crusher (eggs dispense & walls crush in), then the small smart storage silo, then the taller one. Eventually everything will be put into the tall smart silos and be run through an item sorter including a filter that gets rid of unwanted items into a block o lava.

- Andy
    WardleDeBoss and ShelLuser like this.
  3. Click the photo button when making a post and put the link in there. It will insert the photo into your post so people can see it easier (Or in my case, at all. Imgur is blocked here).
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  4. Wow, what a factory. I like the quartz but could use a touch of gray on the outside. Why do you need such a large smelter?
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  5. Sooo, is this an actual question or you showing off a little bit? ;)

I'll assume you got an actual question and not merely a rhetorical question (which I think) :) So, what happens if... Well, if you build yourself an insane super smelter and connected item sorter then I guess you'll soon have an insane demand for items to smelt and will smelt those insanely fast ;)

Honestly: I'm not trying to make fun of you, but I am obviously messing a little bit :)

Seriously though: this should be perfectly fine. Seems like an amazing and seriously fitting project for the Empire if you ask me! Especially now that we got anti-grief in place which means that all those blocks you placed and worked so hard on are already protected from griefing by others (by default only players in your friends list can break those (see /fr list), that should secure things. And if you want to you can even control who can and can't).

The only thing you may need to look out for are the amount of loaded chunks and the slight delay in hopper timers. But quite frankly I don't think you'll seriously notice. Another possible issue could be the view distance (amount of chunks loaded). On EMC that's 6 chunks in the Frontier. Meaning that if your contraption is larger than 100 blocks out then there is a theoretical issue that some parts might not have been loaded (and thus becoming inactive).

However, that's all very theoretical and quite frankly I doubt that you'll get issues with this.

So yeah, and that leads up to my previous answer ;)

I think this is going to be awesome, thanks for sharing with us and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future :)
    WardleDeBoss and 607 like this.
  6. Nice, Only issue i would see is the use of Fuel... You would need a lot... Have you thought about programming a system to evenly distribute the fuel in a efficient way?
    Tuqueque and WardleDeBoss like this.
  7. I'm assuming he just has the normal hoppers facing sideways with more below going down?

If you need a better system try using a minecart track. Have a comparator reading the minecart that will only activate a power rail below if it has a certain amount of fuel in it and will stay active until it's near empty
  8. Those tracks are the item and fuel distribution mechanisms. And yes, it was rhetorical. I would love to build this on smp5's frontier. The row of furnaces is 65 long, and that's doubled side by side... it is not 130 furnaces long. That would be too much. There is a bit to be said about compactness. As for the storage silo... well i ran into a snag where the hopper layout at the top does not work to put output items in the second stack of chests. The way i fixed it, is to put a second dropper based item elevator right next to the first one. That said, i have come into an issue where i need space to put the item sensing circuits for both bottom droppers. The two output lines have been re-laid out to dump into a double chest, then into two rows of hoppers, each one leading into the item elevator's base dropper. As of right now, to make the thing automatic i will have to power both base droppers off the same comparator output signal, which means a lot of empty dropper clicking if the smelter output flow is uneven (it will be due to added hoppers for the one farther away). One fix for this could be to relocate ht storage silo in front of the supersmelter, in stead of having it off to one side. Originally the supersmelter was one row of 65, but i decided to double it because of reasons (how big can it go?!). There is also, as you can see, space for an additional input track. The current layout in order from near the storage silo to away from it is input, input, fuel, fuel, gap, input. I could put another input track in the gap, in fact i should probably o that to keep input distribution balanced. The other way i could do this on emc would be to drop the silo down under the front of the output line, this way no droppers would be needed, and the item sorter could go between the smelter output and the silo.

Back to the silo issues.... I am thinking now that i could move the dropper elevator back away from the chest filling hoppers, giving me a few blocks of space. The whole idea of the droppers being right up against the chest filling hoppers is purely for compactness. Will take a few days break so i don't burn out. Redstone is hard, especially in tight spaces. Once i reconfigure the item elevators and get the silo working properly, there will be another round of screenshots with full explanation and description. I am working on getting recording software so i can link them here as well.

As for imgur being blocked, well i am sorry! There are quite a lot of images, so posting all of them here isn't really practical. Plus anyone loading this thread could experience lag due to the images all loading.

- Andy
  9. I do want to change how it looks, but i wanted to get a basic form down. The quartz will probably mostly stay, with some iron and maybe stone here and there. I will also be adding windows on the two sides but not the front. I want the covering structure to have a very strong industrial feel to it. The big issue is sorting out how the integrated silo looks, then repeat that design with maybe 12 other solos. I may relocate the entire thing to the front of the supersmelter. Not sure yet.... I will be coming back to it probably monday, and i probably won't be on emc on the server for more than a few minutes till then. Like i said, i don't want to get burned out!

- Andy
  10. I've rebuilt the enclosure and done some other changes with some of the suggestions here in mind. Will post screenshots tonight or tomorrow. Super excited! I would love to do a short livestream explaining the whole thing. Will probably do that on monday. Once the livestream ends, anyone can check the video out, so no one misses out who are curious about this project. Further input and suggestions are gladly welcomed. Oh, and the way i rebuilt it, it makes it actually possible to do on EMC. Not as much quartz, in fact most of it is gone, and most of the rest is easily gathered in the wild. Trickiest bit is just building it, and getting it right first try so no resources are wasted!

- Andy
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  11. WardleDeBoss likes this.
  12. Some screenshots. We had a power cut during a wind storm, and it seems some of the updated screenshots of a higher quality were data corrupted and look like a black rectangle sad to say. However not all were lost, and some new ones will be coming soon!

http://imgur.com/a/reiT4

- Andy
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  13. Cool to see another redstoner on the server, maybe we could work on something someday, and also have you seen the let's play of the youtuber EthosLab, in his survival lets play he made a system that not only distributes items equally but uses droppers and other things to make the production quicker as well as he uses a mushroom farm to fuel the machine as 1 mushroom block produces half an item worth of smwlting power so lets say you wanted to smelt 1 cobble 2 mushroom blocks is more efficient then 1 coal.
    WardleDeBoss and 607 like this.
  14. WardleDeBoss likes this.
  15. Will have to look into that! Would love to work on some huge redstone projects. My last big project was a ~6000 block dual track rail line with branch lines and tunnels and bridges. I will look into the youtube videos tomorrow! :)

- Andy
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  16. Check out my utopia plot. Its my begginings of my redstone plot and yeah etho is one of the first youtubers and redstoner and he still comes up with amazing ideas. He is very creative and always makes efficient things but differently then everyone else
    607 and hamboy14 like this.
  17. Here Is the first of like the 4 vids he was working on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5geqTtoO6Mk&t=503s You might think he is not that good but he is and you will see what he has made. He has also made things like a working tomagochi pet that has face expressions and you must feed him and look after weight,sickness,mood,
    hamboy14 likes this.
  18. I replaced all the rails with powered rails, and replaced the hopper clock with a comparator clock. It's noticeably faster than the hopper clock. The carts also no longer dump unevenly. It was that they would be sluggish first starting, and the first few furnaces would get more items than the ones down the line. This has been solved. So, item elevator: faster. Item/fuel flow: even throughout in both directions. Output track has also been changed over to all powered rails. It makes a huge difference. Same power circuit in place, same return/hold circuit, and same start/hold circuit. One other thing that i will be doing is making the roof of the "smelter shed" 2 blocks taller, to enable more ease of movement. Another thing that will likely happen is the silo building will likely get two blocks wider to accommodate checking of the hoppers and over-all ease of movement. One other minor change is that the silo indicator area now has solid clay and wool vs the + pattern. Looks cleaner. Will do another livestream & post screenshots etc etc etc to put all the changes in a summary of images and the narration on the livestream so people can figure out why i did the things i've done. :)

- Andy
  19. Looks like i will have to figure out a replacement for the torch tower to power the item elevator. Torches work great, but very slow vs stack-smelter output. It needs to be compact, as i don't want to expand the silo enclosure any further. Probably something involving redstone ladder with slabs and repeaters. Not sure yet.

- Andy
  20. My replacement for the torch tower + dropper item elevator? Well, i simply added 3 more dropper columns for a total of FOUR! This means that with the changes i've made at the top of the elevator, this puppy can smelt and store 40+ double chests of items automatically, with only the cook time in the furnace being a limit. No bottlenecks, and in fact the output stream goes from two rows of hoppers to 3 double chests, to 4 rows of hoppers, each feeding a dedicated column of droppers! Screenshots + livestream tour tomorrow/later today (monday).

- Andy