What countries are represented on EMC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mob_Meal, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Born in US, Mother and Father both from China :D
    MustangLover25 and Kytula like this.
  2. Just gonna throw it out there :rolleyes: England isn't a country
    I'm from the United Kingdom
    PetuniaFigtree and ShelLuser like this.
  3. 'Straya, mate!
    Jinkers and ShelLuser like this.
  4. I know you were joking, so was I :p
  5. I always thought the Netherlands were the most represented non-English speaking server on EMC!
    I have a bit more to add, though, as I'm from Frisia/Friesland: not a country, but a province in the Netherlands. We're quite distinct, though, with what I think the two most interesting points being:
    - we have our own language, Frisian/Fries, which is merely used for speaking. Most people write in Dutch, because most people don't master Frisian spelling. It is used for writing by some people, though. Most people from previous generations do speak Frisian here, but the younger people don't (myself included, as I moved from Utrecht when I was about 10 years old) always.
    - a couple years ago we had, and perhaps we still have, the most important skating rink in Europe, if not the world. Even though I'm not good at it, it still makes me sad if we have a winter without skating on natural ice!

Cool, right? Some things about the Netherlands in general: it's extremely flat. When I went to Germany and Italy, I was like "Wow, mountains!" as you really don't see those anywhere in our country. It's nearly all flat. In the bottom, there are some height differences, but still no real mountains. We have lots of windmills, everywhere. I'm not sure if this isn't the case in the USA, but I think we have much more. I don't mean the old ones, but the modern ones, for renewable energy. If you drive highways, you see hundreds of them in a row.
    Another interesting thing, is liquorice: perhaps besides chocolate, it is the main candy here. There are hundreds of different kinds, and there is an incredible range of shapes and flavours. Really, most people who are not from the Netherlands seem to not like it, but here it is very popular. Like, really, you should go to a store or mall and see all the different kinds, it's quite massive.
    Then, one thing I seemed to notice and I don't really like: many Dutch seem to swear really frequent and heavily. Many English words, but also many, many Dutch words, especially for diseases. That honestly saddens me, but it might be that way in other countries too, although on the internet, I see the Dutch swearing the most.
    All in all though, I quite like it here, and I'll end with one more thing:
    cycling. When we went to Italy, we were surprised by how few bike lanes there were. Here, nearly every road has seperate bike lanes on the side, one for each direction. It is used a lot from getting to place to place: hardly anyone uses the bus for going to school, even if you live quite a bit away: some of my friends have to cycle 30-45 minutes twice every day, to go to school and back. No wonder we have much less obese people than the US! ;)
  6. I'm from that country named - Indonesia .
    I may be the only one from there :p
    I am an Indonesian and I speak Indonesian & Javanese ( one of the culture thingy ) . You might not know - or even heard of Indonesia , but you might have heard of Bali .
    I'm telling everyone , that Bali is not a country . Bali is in Indonesia , one of the islands . We have thousands of Islands , But i live in Java , near Bali .
    One that you might know too is Jakarta . It's one of the cities .
    whatkom, Kytula, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  7. England is a country... :p
  8. England, Scotland and Wales are all countries. Northern Ireland is regarded as a province of the UK, however is sometimes classed as country. Internationally, the countries within the UK are put under the name of the UK for ease.
    SoulPunisher, MustangLover25 and 607 like this.
  9. My appolgies, I had already been partying a bit (American football Super Bowl) & was merely putting down what FDNY21 said. According to Wikipedia, both United Kingdom and England are listed as countries. I'm guessing you are outside of England, but still in the UK so I will list them separately.

10. Sorry, I don't know how to do the <snip> thing.

Cool! This is the knd of thing I like to hear about. In my country I'm from Florida. "Born & raised" as we say. It is very flat here too. Highest elevation in the entire state is only about 100 meters above sea level,most of it only 1-3 meters. That's saying a lot since my state is a little over 4 times the land area of the Netherlands. What I didn't realize is that 17% of the land in the Netherlands is basically man made.
    607 likes this.
  11. You just highlight over the quoted text and press delete or backspace then write in -snip-, <snip>, snipity, snippers or whatever funny message you want.
    607 and Mob_Meal like this.
  12. -snip-

Didn't do it right :(
  13. You only edit the text within the quote blocks. Don't remove the quote... stuff.
    607 likes this.
  14. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are 'constituent countries' within the sovereign state which is the United Kingdom. In many sports tournaments they're represented as countries in their own right but internationally mostly as the UK as a whole. It's kinda like Greenland being part of Denmark; those from Greenland would most likely say they were from Greenland, not Denmark. It's up to you which 'country' you say represents you. It's not just a case of semantics.

I'm from Wales btw :)
  15. Like you said; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in their own right are countries. They don't exist just because of the UK.
  16. CrazyTJ is from Indonesia, he plays on 5.
  17. Don't forget Germany. I am not from there but know of several that are. I'm from the good ol U, S of A. Home of 61%, Aikar and the Super Bowl.
  18. That's kind of how I thought it went. I think I'll change the list to say UK & what countries within the UK. I was in Northern Ireland last May and I've been to England and even went rock climbing in Wales once.
  19. Singapore*
    PetuniaFigtree and ShelLuser like this.
  20. Whoops. Sorry Crazy.