[WEATHER DEBATE] What do you consider "subtropical"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, Jun 14, 2018.

?

Do you agree with my definition?

Yes 2 vote(s) 40.0%
No 1 vote(s) 20.0%
Sources, please?! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I'm on the fence. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I honestly don't care. 1 vote(s) 20.0%
There is no "subtropical" to me and such areas are part of what I would consider tropical. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
There is no "subtropical" to me and such areas are part of what I would consider temperate. 1 vote(s) 20.0%
  1. I consider it subtropical if it meets the following criteria:
    1. The average temperature in the coldest month is above 64.4F;
    2. Either:
      • The climate for that area is, according to the Koppen climate classification system, a Mediterranean, Hot Desert (only if below 64.4F for the average temperature in the coldest month), Humid Subtropical, or Hot Semi-Arid (only if below 64.4F for the average temperature in the coldest month) climate type; AND/OR
      • Eight or more months have a mean temperature (NOT average high or low) of at least 50F.
    As always, I'm curious to see, what do you think?
    Windylava likes this.
  2. I think Norway is a suitable candidate for being in a subtropical climate.
    mba2012 likes this.
  3. No(r)way!
  4. Having also never been there, I agree.

According to your definition, I live in a humid subtropical region. Which is cool because we get cool storms in summer (technically primarily a product of the geography afaik), and pretty nice winters.
  5. If that's your way of saying "No way!", I totally agree!

I also live in an area that is classified by the Koppen system as Humid Subtropical (and it's also very stormy in Summer, but also Spring; however, we don't have a real dry season here in Tennessee), and plan to move to a region that is in a Hot Desert climate zone (Phoenix, Arizona) in a few years.
  6. I think i would classify most of central america as subtropical
  7. Do you mean the subcontinent between Mexico and Colombia that has the Panama Canal cut through it, or the middle of the U.S. in the vast steppe known as the Great Plains?
  8. between mexico and south america
  9. Thanks for clarifying! I figured that was what you meant, but considering that the U.S. is frequently nicknamed "America" and that steppe regions are considered by some to be subtropical (even if they shouldn't be), I just needed to be sure.
  10. So from my hometown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania I would consider it to be Subtropical

According to the Köppen climate classification, Philadelphia falls under the northern periphery of the humid subtropical climate zone. So even though we do get some cold winters. Our summers get so hot and humid and it rains nearly every day. I will admit that florida is defidently subtropical, and so is probably New Orleans, Missisipi, Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas, It does get ambigious the farther north you go but I feel like Philadelphia is the most Northern Extent of any classifications of Subtropical in the US. Good Forum btw! I love this question, so thought provoking! :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  11. I honestly have no idea of what windy just said you lost me after philidelpia
    We3_MPO and Windylava like this.
  12. Indeed, mostly true, but Kentucky, Missouri, and the NYC Metro Area are on the northern bounds of Humid Subtropical climate classification. Tennessee (which shares a little known rainforest region in the mountains with North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia), Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and the eastern half of Texas also fall into that classification, but are not close to either the tropics nor what I would consider a temperate region.
    Windylava likes this.
  13. Bump!

Also, if you live in the Subtropical U.S. and/or the Great Plains, be safe! It's going to get extremely hot today as far north as Minnesota and as far east as North Carolina!
  14. Living just south of Philly, I must agree with this. I feel as if we had no spring; early April we had snow and now we have 90F+ degree weather (32.2C+). We have rain every 2 days or so during the summer.
    We3_MPO likes this.