Warning: New launcher coming soon!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

I read about this on Minecraft.net just now (I know I'm late, I don't really keep up with everything): the Minecraft launcher will be changing soon. If you're using the default launcher (1.6.76 is the current version, see its title bar) then this will soon get updated to the new version.

Roll out started around the 30th of January and it's expected that the new launcher will be fully rolled out within the upcoming 2 weeks. So if you fire up Minecraft and suddenly see another launcher then don't be alarmed: it's not a bug, it's a feature :D

See also Dinnerbone's twitter account: https://twitter.com/@Dinnerbone

Update

Our own Slrv made a tutorial for us which explains the basics behind the new launcher, you can find that tutorial here (follow link).
    Carbonyx likes this.
  2. Lovely, more shameless plugs by Mojang for us to buy their things. :/
  3. Well, in all honesty we already have a news section showing up when you fire up the current launcher. I just read a story on the Spigot forum; it seems the new launcher also allows you to control your skin. That would be a cool new feature I think; no more need to log onto their website any longer whenever you want to change your skin.

But... That's just a rumor so far.
  4. Looks like poop.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  5. same format as minecraft.net , guess they wanted to make it all integrated
  6. There an option to keep the old launcher? I like the current one.
    TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  7. I can't wait a new launcher!
  8. The old launcher works, I don't see why they saw a need for another one.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. Because, design. Microsoft probably doesn't like the design of the old one- they want the launcher to have a flat design like Windows 10 (because obviously no one uses Windows 7 anymore OBVIOUSLY *this is sarcasm*)
    TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  10. From what I have read, one of the biggest differences is that the launcher itself doesn't run on Java anymore. According to their statements, it makes the launcher faster and gives them additional flexibility. It also looks much nicer compared to the old launcher on Linux.
    Carbonyx and ShelLuser like this.
  11. BTW, the new launcher has been out for months now (in snapshots), though when they release, im sure theyll enforce it
  12. Correct, that's going to happen within 2 weeks or so. They officially released it 30th of January and it's being rolled out.
  13. Dang! Hope this wont be like the rollout of new Windows peoducts...

* crash - conflict - error - Epic fail *
  14. Note: I haven't gotten my hands on the new launcher yet, so my opinion could change.

I like the way it looks, it's a little nicer than the current launcher's look. I also like that you can change your skin from the launcher rather than go to the website and do it there(I personally won't be using this very much as I like my current skin, but I like that the option is there.). And most of all(Assuming what I heard is true.), I like that it runs faster than the current one.

Aside from that, I don't know of any other cool feature that would justify a new launcher IMO(Feel free to correct me I'm wrong. :)). I'll still likely use it, but the old one will be missed.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  15. Mine updated last week. The first time I tried starting the game afterwards there was an error then it has been ok since. I did not dig around much but the features appear to be the same. No points gained or lost there, yet at least.
    ShelLuser and Eviltoade like this.
  16. Mine updated today - I'm "ok" with it I guess ;p
    Carbonyx and ShelLuser like this.
  17. Okay, so I just logged on the Empire tonight and this new launcher started. Figured it would just do some update thing like previously, but no...it actually changed the look and options are in new places. It seems fine, but I was not enthused about the fact now I have 3 applications running vs. only the game window prior. Now it appears to keep the game launcher running separately and also a game info window. I also agree with SUPERI0N that the option to change skins here is a plus vs. logging on the website, however, I wish they would have taken it a step further and let you choose your base character model. I don't know about the rest of you guys out there, but I would prefer all of my alts to be "Steve" based versus "Alex". Sometimes the skins mess up, and your char reverts back to the original default, it would be nice if we got to pick this default. One last thing I noticed, and it may have only been due to the fact it was the time of it actually upgrading, but it seemed to take a lot longer to load than the other launcher, but this may have been because of all those unnecessary language files it was downloading?? I might have forgot something at this hour, but that is what I can remember to comment on :)

Heh, Update to this...I just tried looking into that skin update option...Notified that skin updates are not available to Legacy Accounts...:( They want me to update my Mojang Account just to change my skin.
  18. You can disable this in the settings tab
    ShelLuser likes this.
  19. Don't forget / overlook the guide which Slrv made which explains the whole thing, I updated the OP to point to it :)
  20. Mine just updated and I hate it more than I thought I would. It's small, weird and too colorful.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.