[Warning] Beware of "free" Minecraft accounts!

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hi gang,

The use of ALT accounts

Empire Minecraft is a very "pro-alt" server as I like to call it. Instead of trying to prevent players from using extra accounts EMC actually welcomes it by treating an extra account just as if it were new. You'll get the full "new player" treatment again, and you're pretty much free to do whatever you want (all within the EMC rules of course!).

So what is an ALT account?

An ALT account is basically an extra Mojang account which you then use to purchase a new license for Minecraft. This allows you to play Minecraft as "someone else". Simply start the Minecraft launcher, find the option to switch accounts (upper right corner in the vanilla launcher, bottom left corner in the old launcher) and then click "switch accounts". This will allow you to switch to another account, or to log in as a new user:

My main account and my alt account.

WARNING: This is the only valid way to do this!

Houston, we have a problem!

Buying a new Minecraft account costs money. Around $28 in total. So what if you don't have that money to spend? Then you might be tempted to look around for alternative ways to get one. And that's exactly why I'm writing this guide right now: don't!

For the record: I had nothing to do with that last entry, but it was too fitting not to include it here. Also: I left in the URL's for a very good reason, to show you guys exactly what I'm talking about.

USE OF SO-CALLED "FREE" MINECRAFT ACCOUNTS CAN & WILL GET YOU BANNED FROM EMPIRE MINECRAFT!

Did I get your attention yet? Now you understand why I'm writing all this?

But why?! :confused:

Excellent question! I'm not the one to go with "because they said so". If you uphold some rules the very least you can do is explain why those rules are in effect. So allow me to elaborate...

But first:

Disclaimer: I'm not staff (duh) nor do I have much aspirations to become one. However, despite that detail I do like to think I know what I'm talking about here. Definitely feel free to verify this with EMC staff. In fact: when in doubt you should do exactly that to get the official word.

There's no such thing as free on the Internet

Now, sure, there are exceptions to this rule. Take for example Open Source Software.

But other than that please be aware that "free" is a ruse. People or companies always want something back in return. For example: you can read a "free" news article, all you have to do is leave your e-mail address. That's not free: you're basically giving them an opportunity to spam your e-mail box. Rest assured that your e-mail address will be sold together with plenty of others.

The Windows 10 upgrade? Do you honestly believe you got that software for free? Bzzzt. First of all: Windows 10 has an enormous "phone home" subroutine. It sends back an awful lot of usage data back to Microsoft. Data which is going to be used for marketing campaigns and other projects. Second: Don't be surprised if you suddenly find paywalls within your "free" OS. Meaning: you need a certain option but you can no longer use it, unless of course you get a subscription from Microsoft. Sounds crazy? Well, come back in 10 years and then don't say I didn't warn you :cool:

And Minecraft?

Free Minecraft? Mojang is a commercial company which sells Minecraft in order to make money. There is no such thing as a free Minecraft account.

So how can those websites offer free accounts?

Because those accounts were stolen.

Click the image to visit this Mojang help page.

This also brings us to the reason why EMC will ban you for using such "free" accounts: you're basically stealing something from someone else. 98% of all "free" accounts are not shared with the approval of their rightful owner (= the person who paid for the license). The other percentage doesn't work and the last percentage might be with approval but it's questionable ;)

And this is also why I'm writing this guide: I don't only keep EMC's best interests in mind here, but also yours (yes, you random reader!).

See: it may sound nice to get hold of free Minecraft accounts by using one of those websites mentioned above. Heck, some websites will even make it look as if there's nothing wrong (MCLeaks is especially notorious for that). The main problem though is that they'll be coming after your account just as hard as anyone elses.

Stay safe, don't use stolen accounts!

If you want an alt account to use on the Empire then this is your best option:

Click the image to go to the Minecraft website.
  2. Great guide as usual Shel! Though I'm not sure where you got your Price from.. Perhaps that's all it costs where you live. Here in America it costs us $26.95 + tax, so around $28,$29 dollars depending on what state you live in.
    We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  3. Awesome! Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Updated the guide with this new information
    We3_MPO and AncientTower like this.
  4. Holy crap! Minecraft now costs $35.00 in Canada!

Still worth it though if you wanted an ALT account. I used to know someone who tried to push me into getting a "free" minecraft account. I'm still not sure what nefarious intentions they had, and I no longer associate with them :)
  5. I think this is a great point since there is so many sites out there that can steal information from you even if it says it is safe. So don't trust the sites saying free accounts because it might bite you back.
    We3_MPO and Merek_Shadower like this.
  6. When I bought Minecraft it was still 28$. Did they increase the price for Canadians for some odd reason?

Anyways, great job Shell. This something nobody should ever attempt to use a free account, it's wrong, very wrong. Also, I finally have confirmation that you and Aya are 2 different people.
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  7. No, we just have money that's worth less than yours. :p
    We3_MPO, Tuqueque and Kif_ like this.
  8. We3_MPO, ShelLuser and Ritunn like this.
  9. Yikes. Make the story short - don't get alts :D
    Cardman142 likes this.
  10. You can get alts just pay for them. DON'T US MCLEAKS or any FREE alt website. Besides being illegal in EMC, it can compromise your own account leaving you out of any MC games or servers forcing you to buy another account just to play at all.
    We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  11. I know what thread it originally came from :p I'll just say it one more time, DON'T.

Having three alts myself, I'd say that's not the problem... As long as you don't leak any passwords or try to get leaked passwords... :p
    Also, alts might even be one of the best things in the game... It really helps with a lot of things, but mainly with getting extra res's ('got 17 on my name currently...)
    We3_MPO, Merek_Shadower and ShelLuser like this.
  12. For reasons which I prefer to keep to myself I believe that this thread could use a small bump.

Please remember that there is no such thing as "free" on the Internet, and if a random stranger (or a random website) offers you a "free" Minecraft account then trust me: that's not free, that's fishy. In most cases those accounts are "compromised" which in plain English simply means: stolen from others players, like you and me.

Still... looking back I now also think this guide is probably better suited in the regular player guides forum so I'll be asking staff to move it. But in the mean time a small bump.

Stay safe, steer clear from using stolen accounts because it will only get you into a heap of trouble. Obviously on the Empire, but also on dozens of others places as well ("those places we do not speak of here" ;) ). And in my not so humble opinion rightfully so because... let's face it: you're basically taking someone elses account away, and that's not cool.
    We3_MPO and Theomglover like this.
  13. You're telling me lol
  14. Here's your TLDR; (from the rules page ;))

Do not use compromised/hacked accounts.
    • The use of compromised accounts is disallowed on the Empire. Any IP associated with compromised accounts will be banned along with possible individual account bans.
    • If your own account becomes compromised, please report it to a staff member to be temp-banned for your own protection.
    • Be wary when utilizing any accounts that you did not purchase directly from Mojang/Microsoft. Accounts gained from MC account sharing sites may not be used.