Traveling in the Wilderness Frontier / Questions

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Envie42, Apr 18, 2014.

1. So hey guys - it's been about a week or so since I first posted this and I've been living out in the Eastern Wilds Territories. I read back over this thread and still think there's amazing, solid advice here from everyone who replied on how to transport your goods / valuables and to travel quickly (overworld or nether either one) through the wilderness to set up an outpost. For me, it was simpler to join an established area first to get my legs under me and learn the ropes.

That being said. I decided to challenge myself now that I am more comfortable in the wilderness. I just spent two days doing an experimental run on another server from where I am established with Eastern Wilds Territories. I decided to do a "Kamikaze Survival Run" and this is how I did it:

1. Blindly choose one of the outer wilderness spawns from the main spawn. (NO cheating or looking at the map)
    2. Roll dice for the direction you want to go from the spawn (south won).
    3. Everything of any real value leave behind at your reserved town plot or in your vault.
    4. Take only two sets of basic iron tools, a stack of steak, some torches, stack of wood, and some wool (for beds), 20 coal and 20 iron - THAT'S IT! (Don't take too much or you're going to be annoyed when you die and lose it)
    5. Set off in the designated direction rolled - traveling as quickly as possible over land - looking at map periodically to see if there are nearby settlements, NPC villages, etc you can use for a place to stay overnight.
    6. At sundown, "dig in" underground wherever you happen to be - build a bed ... mine for some (hopefully) more coal and iron - make sure you have new tools ready for the next day and sleep in the bed until sunrise to set new spawn point.
    7. Leave the bed in your little underground den (but cover the opening back up to repair the top layer of ground). This way you have a spawn point if you die during the next day's travel.
    8. Continue on this way each in-game day... heading steadily in the direction chosen and surveying map occasionally for reference. Use boats to cross large bodies of water ... chop wood but ALWAYS replace the trees, do not disturb or mine anything along the way other than the small 'den' you dig to sleep in that night and repair / cover it the next day (except for the space large enough for your bed and two blocks next to it so you can spawn).
    9. Build a new bed in each 'den' every night - so always gather more wool when you see sheep along the way, and wood ... again, always replant your trees - keep your 'footprint' small as you go - do no harm to the wilderness!
    10. Watch for caves / ravines / mineshafts and stay in those an extra day. They're more dangerous because of monsters but offer much more iron and coal for your tool supply. I make my 'den' in a safe hole walled off and then fill that back in the next day as well - always fill in your hole so no one can tell you were there!
    Finally, after however many in-game days you can stand to travel this way ... find your location to set up camp if you see something along the way you like. Do a survey of the area to make sure there are not already established outposts there that you're encroaching on (3k rule).

This method was very fun for me. I didn't feel uptight about dying because I didn't have anything of value on me that I cared about losing. If I died, it reset me back to my previous bed location and I just set out again...sometimes I got my stuff back, sometimes I just kept moving completely naked and dug in at night in the dirt to start over. There's something completely satisfying about bashing a wild chicken over the head with your bare hands or a chunk of dirt and digging a hole to sleep in at night so you can get some stone and make a stone pick or axe! It's ...liberating. I highly recommend a wilderness run to anyone who might be 'afraid' to set off into the wilderness. Once you get over the fear of losing anything (because you left it all behind in town) you find the journey much more interesting!

Now I wouldn't recommend this method if you're planning to build a big city somewhere...you're going to want your valuables and materials - so that should be done the way others described in this post. But if, perhaps, you just want to set off and challenge yourself to survive. I highly recommend a Kamikaze survival run! :)
  2. Definition of Kamikazi-Wanting to die...
    Envie42 likes this.
  3. Next, try this on higher difficulties, 7, then 8, then even 9 or 10.
    Envie42 likes this.
  4. Actually, the literal Japanese translation is "spirit-wind" or "divine wind" and yes, was used as a title for suicide bombers during WWII.

I called my run kamikaze because I left everything behind and wasn't afraid to die. I "traveled like the wind" over land and didn't worry about where I was headed ... I was just going in one direction blindly. And yes I died a few times, but it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Since I didn't have anything of value on me, dying didn't really matter. It was fun! I now have a tiny camp way out in the middle of nowhere on a mystery server. I doubt I'll ever develop it into a real outpost but who knows! ;)
  5. Yes! I considered this idea too - but after spending about six hours doing this first run, I'm more than happy to return to 'civilization' and build happily with all my supplies and comforts at hand for awhile. haha. :D