Thoughts on "mending"...

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Joy_the_Miner, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Is it just me, or does it feel that mending feels a bit "cheaty" in Minecraft? Afterall, you can apply it to all of your tools and your XP will repair them for you. In a sense, it's kind of like you'll never have to go mining for replacement tools ever again; The game would then feel challenge-less?

Maybe I'm having one of those "crazy yet logical" moments again, what are your takes on the "mending" enchantment?
    Baradar67 and JesusPower2 like this.
  2. Mining is not the only challenge out there in Minecraft

You could also choose not to use such enchantment

I find it very useful because if not mining would takes too much time away from other important things
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  3. I kind of wish it wasn't a thing. After all the work done on repairing and combining tools...they add a cheap enchant for infinite same-cost repairs.

but maybe it's good to drive more xp systems?
    Baradar67 likes this.
  4. Nothing much to add here, it was another blow to economy servers. Of course, I made my money enchanting and that is nowhere near what it was.
  5. No, I disagree. With repairing tools, you would have to use so many resources and levels - And then you'd have to get a new tool when it got too expensive! With this, you could get tools that were "unbreakable" without them literally being unbreakable, and I think it was a clever concept. It adds more power to XP farms - And although it makes your pickaxe repair itself when mining quartz and stuff - A lot of things you do don't give you XP, and then you need to repair those items on your own...
  6. Exactly my point. As a manufacturer of enchanted gear I had a great business, especially form those that like to travel the nether and sacrifice their gear to the lava gods. I know that wasn't just me.

But now, you come along, buy one set and that is it unless you are silly. My business has shrunk to almost the point of being a waste of time.
    q1zx likes this.
  7. Super cheaty, really cheapens the grind of getting OP gear and having to constantly take care to keep it in tip-top shape. Now its just equip and forget.

Doesn't mean I won't use the advantage if I have it, though.
  8. I mean, there's still a market on OP gear...
  9. There's also a market for BurgerKnight heads, despite my best efforts to destroy it. There'll always be a market for everything, but the new meta makes it much more underwhelming.

10. I sell tons of OP gear, it's hard to keep up. Maybe I am part of the reason your business fell off. 10959.
    q1zx likes this.
  11. I actually think it was a great addition.
    Well, for people like me, who uuse minecraft mainly as a canvas to do creative(ish) stuff on. for that, mending is a great addition to the survival game, as making structures, mainly when designed in survival as well, can be done with a much higher frequency of actual building... I mean, originally, when you were biulding, you had to get suplies, watch your tools, all sorts of things that took you away from building itself. You might say you should build in creative if you don't like that, but I can tell you survival building really has its charm to it, something creative doesn't have. I feel like, also with other thhings as building, grinding to get new/repair your tools just gets more annoying as fun sometimes, and so, for that, mending was a really good addition.
  12. Well, I definitely see your point but don't agree with it.

See, the whole problem is context. And since we're in the general Minecraft forum I'm going to address that perspective first: mending is actually pretty rare. You can only get it from villagers (so you have to find a village and then hope that a villager actually has it), loot chests (randomly found in dungeons (the kind next to spawners and of course in the End)) and fishing (at very low odds).

And before you say "but you can get a whole supply from a villager": do keep in mind that villagers on the Empire respond way differently than in vanilla. You may be able to get some mending books from a villager, but it will also have cost you quite a bit of material to make that happen.

The other point is getting mending to work. Mending is meaningless without an XP source. Slaying monsters will also damage your sword (and optionally your armor), digging out coal (easiest way for XP) will also damage your pickaxe.

Sure, you can solve this by making an XP farm. But at what costs? That's not exactly easy or cheap (if you want a good source).

So once you reached the stage where you have mending on all the tools you like and you have access to a source of XP then you'll have been playing for quite a long time already, and it will also have taken you plenty of resources to make that happen. All of that accounts for the OPness of the item in my opinion. Yes, you established an "OP position" where your tools can now last forever (until that moment you overlook something and it still breaks, "auch") but once again: at what costs?

Back onto the Empire...

Yes, it feels cheatish, I know exactly where you're coming from. Because I feel the same about my voters gear, even though I "worked" hard to get it (voted for 300 days in a row). When I'm all the way down in a ravine 800 blocks away from spawn and without any spare torches then there's still no issue for me. I can always dig my way out and it doesn't cost me any extra effort nor strain on my tools.

But here's a noodle for you: is Mending cheaty because of what it does, or because of how easy it is to get it?

If you got the rupees then you can get a mending book for around 300 - 400r per book, several residences provide free anvil use and you can get the XP from dozens of XP farms, where SMP8's PWU is the most famous I think.

And sure: from a marketing perspective Mending changed the economy. Players now don't have any needs to repair their items, instead they'll be looking out for mending books and/or good god gear which has mending on them. There's still money to be made, but in a different way.

But did you have to mine for those replacement tools in the first place?

I know players on the Empire who pretty much never set foot in the wastelands at all and still manage to make money (basically by having other players do the mining for them :D). So what do you think happens to their income if the players who help them out can cut away the extra hindrance of breaking armor and tools? They can get more done, the shop gets more stock and thus gets the potential to attract more customers.

I definitely see your point, but the problem is that this isn't about mending but about the entire game.

For example: how easy is it to get a brewing stand? Answer: very easy.

But about that... In Minecraft you'll need to find a nether fortress, and that isn't exactly easy. Then kill a blaze, grab his rod(s) and bring those home. Build the brewing stand then smack yourself over the head because you didn't bring any netherwarts so you go back to the fortress again to get netherwarts. Seriously: that's how you're supposed to do this in vanilla, I have this from a very reliable source on SMP8 :D So eventually you finally got yourself the brewing stand, nether warts and a headache: the perfect combination to start brewing!

On EMC? Just hop onto a random shop to buy the stand, netherwarts, and you're ready for your OP potions. Which you could also simply buy :D

Bottom line: mending isn't the problem, it's merely a symptom to the real cause of the "problem" (which in all fairness isn't much of a problem either way).

All you're seeing here is Minecraft at its best.

Because let's narrow this down to the very heart of this "problem": Why would you still play survival in Minecraft when you can simply switch to creative mode and get everything you want?

If you think about it that question really is no different than: "Why would you go out to find a nether fortress for some blaze rods and nether warts, when you can simply buy a brewing stand from a shop?" and: "Why would you buy a brewing stand from a shop when you can buy potions?" and: "Why would you buy potions when you can buy whatever you want to mine?" and: "Why would you still buy potions when you can buy a whole lot of iron + several beacons and create a constant effect area?".

And: why would you go out mining when you can continuously repair your tools?

Answer? Because it's still fun to do!