This must be how women feel about shoe sales...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kephras, Apr 24, 2017.

1. I am thrilled. Unity's been having a massive sale in their Asset store, which lasts until the end of the week. And while I'm perfectly capable of scripting and building most of the content I'd want in a game, there are certain components that really just need an additional plugin or two. IK is one of those things. And this morning, I woke up to find an item I had long pined after was finally on sale.

FinalIK is one of those must-haves for any kind of serious character animation. For those not aware of the term, "Inverse Kinematics" (IK) is basically a technique for setting a desired position of a limb (say a hand), and allowing the skeleton of the character to adjust dynamically to suit that position.

This is something Unity's default solution ('Mecanim') doesn't handle well. It works, but it's clunky, heavily scripted, hard to use, and tricky to get right. I'd been struggling heavily last week trying to get a character's arms to "aim" at the mouse, per many 2.5D shooter games, and just couldn't pull it off.

Can't wait to get home and try it now! Glee!
    607, Hashhog, penfoldex and 3 others like this.
  2. It feels like something they could try and simply improve in the Unity engine rather than having a separate piece of script improve it.
    Kephras likes this.
  3. Accurate title =)
  4. I feel like I could waste a day away just testing this out let alone making a mini production out of it.
    Kephras likes this.
  5. Well you're not wrong - it would be nice if Unity's IK system were as fleshed out as FinalIK (or just integrate it), but I guess that would cost RootMotion most of their income. And to be fair, there are other IK solutions out there (I was eyeballing BioIK for a while, which is only $20), but I got my tax return and figured I may as well splurge a little. Picked up several other assets as well (Riko was on sale last week, spent part of the weekend modeling and rigging her a tail - because who the fluff gives a neko the ears and forgets the tail? I mean, c'mon!) but FinalIK's been on my wishlist for ages so it felt really good to finally afford that one.

:D I initially just had "Unity sale!" but figured this was more entertaining.
    At least on EMC I don't have to worry about a swarm of tumblrina-types crying "ermahgerd, sexism!"
  6. This post resonates with me. Anyways, you make a fair point, I'd rather spend a little to give a little to another company who is improving something that needs improvement.
  7. Heh. I'm not a huge fan of anime-style characters, honestly, but nekos are extremely hard to find on the UAS and that one was very well-done. Couldn't resist. I did retexture the eyes though - sparkly stars were way over the top for me. Probably do a bunch of other tweaks as well.
    607 likes this.
  8. To be honest neither am I, but you can't be a cat person without a cat tail. It has to make sense. You gotta post some of the stuff you do though, would be cool to see it.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  9. Since I see crystaldragon's 'like' on that first post, I'll leave this here as well:

Regrettably, none of my game ideas or plans include tiny adorable dragons, so I shan't be purchasing them anytime soon.
    They're disgustingly cute though.
    607 likes this.
  10. =o They're so adorable!!!! <3
    I would need those if I had any idea what you're doing or how to use it.
    Thanks for the vid though furry one .. at least I can watch them there. =]

awww... don't ya think you need to have at least one? There is a Tiger dragon after all. =>
    607 and Kephras like this.
  11. That's very cool! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Kephras likes this.
  12. This is how I feel when I see a new Kephras thread.

Carbonyx, Shadow_Dcord and Kephras like this.
  13. I don't know what to make of that gif.
    607 and BurgerKnight like this.
  14. Well, see, its a GIF of a man who appears to be part of the "ghetto culture", as seen by his casual attire and large amounts of adornment. He is pushing his hands together and moving them in opposite directions of each other repeatedly while maintaining contact. This is a cultural gesture meaning that he is eager for or anticipating something. It is meant to convey my intrigue when I find a thread in which you are the author.
    Carbonyx, 607 and Kephras like this.
  15. The frown/sneer expression threw me. It's like a "Dis gunna be gud" but with malice.

Also, this is another one I grabbed last week. No idea what I'll be using it for, but it was too awesome not to have.

"Mesh Effects"
    Disintegrating lightning sword ftw.
    607 and WolfInAction like this.