The Stream Team is Under NEW Management

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Would it be bad if I try to apply again? :p
  2. yes
  3. na just kidding, don't listen to me :p
  4. I already applied 10 times.

It probably doesn't help that all of my submissions are Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up"
  5. I see the New Management has been very active... Last Youtube activity was 4 months ago.
  6. Congrats on the promotion Jack!
  7. It always gets a refresh, promises activity, has activity for a few weeks, then the streamers get bored and the "manager" moves on --> RIP another year.

Don't worry though, it'll get a new thread made in due time that claims a huuuuge revamp with new streamers and new content and new new ne-oh wait, it's dead again.

- [rant ensuing] -

The idea to begin with didn't have amazing potential anyways. What person genuinely wants to watch whatever content comes out of a server owned Minecraft channel? The concept of the "Minecraft YouTuber" has already largely faded from its peak of popularity in 2013 (look up any Minecraft channel on SocialBlade to confirm this, they all flat lined after 2013). Not to mention the idea of a Minecraft live streamer was never really a good one and it never got popular. This is because Minecraft is largely unexciting to watch somebody play in raw form (which is what streaming is) and any remotely entertaining Minecraft video is going to be skipping around because the straight up gameplay isn't very exciting. This can be proven through EMC's previous streams. Who the hell wants to legitimately *watch* the raw form of somebody else playing firefloor?

a) Firefloor is a game of chance, so there's no spectacular technique to want to see
    b) Firefloor, in and of itself in raw form, is 5 minutes of somebody running around the map while they can followed by another 45 minutes of them standing on a two block island waiting to die. How fun!
    c) The host is rarely a comic/entertainer. Usually they're standing on that two block island wondering wtf to do with themselves for the next 45 minutes while they exhibit some of the worst banter known to man ("oh wawwww luk ova dehr dat guy felllll hehehehe" is not funny in the slightest).

We all have much better things we could be doing/watching in that 45 minutes of cringe worthy firefloor and the only reason I can see why anyone would put themselves through such pain and agony to watch the stream would be if there's giveaway prizes involved.

PS - Beam.pro is trash. Using the metric that "The EMC stream is on the front page at all times!" is also trash because of course the stream is front paged if nobody else is using Beam.pro due to it being trash.
  8. Youtube isn't the only platform anymore. I find your comment against people that have been working VERY hard rude and uncalled for.
    Our manager has far from moved on. He has templates, code structure, etc that he is all setting up because we did not have it before so that the process can be as smooth as possible. These types of things take time.

Your opinions are your opinions. Personally, I disagree with you. People are willing to log in and just watch Aikar code on numerous nights so events, etc will draw on a small crowd no matter what you believe. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others that play EMC won't either. Streaming is still a source of interest for some people and so we'll continue to set up and hold streams.
  9. :/ aye you're my friend skarecboi, but they actually have been active for all those 4 months in secret. I have knowledge of a archive which has countless hours of video footage unreleased waiting for certain events/dates to take place. If I can say so myself, I am in some of those videos :p
  10. Though I wouldn't put it so harshly, I do agree with what you're saying. I've never found it interesting to watch minecraft gameplay videos besides the tutorials, which I watch just enough of to understand the concept. Playing minecraft itself can be interesting, but I wouldn't want to watch someone play it. I've listened in on some of the minecraft videos my son (who is 8) watches and they're very obviously geared towards 10 and under. I can't see anyone over the age of 10 really getting into any minecraft video. There are the rare occasions a "let's play" is cute/funny to watch (like a couple of just_five_fun's videos), but that's only because I personally think children are adorable. There's also the issue, like haro said, of there being a huge lack of comedy. There are a lot of videos where you can see its trying to be funny but you're just like "hmm". I don't have a suggestion for a remedy and I'm sure the stream team does work very hard, so I'm not condemning any of them. I just happened to run across this thread.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  11. One of the reasons we've not had videos up lately is partially music rights, and partially me not being around as much as I expected and hoped for due to a few unexpected things. Both of those are currently being worked on and are easily resolvable, and are being resolved right now. There is quite a bit of unreleased stuff that right now is having to stay unreleased due to rights (it's a complicated story), but it's being worked on.

Streams, I agree, have been lacking, and honestly, on my part will be for the next few weeks probably (although I'll talk to the others). The setup for the EMC Games has been huge - in order to not have to pay for enterprise grade stuff, the entire scoreboard and interactivity side of it all is having to be designed and coded from scratch (for every single event). I can promise you that it's not been the funnest thing ever, but it's important that it gets done, and the framework can then be used to improve other streams in the future. Believe it or not, web connected animated overlays which can be controlled remotely and have a very quick response time aren't exactly easy to make. Here's a few previews:

There ARE some issues with entertainment value that are being worked on. We're aware it's been very samey, but it's being addressed as much as it can be, I promise. EMC really isn't a platform designed to be recorded or streamed, so trying to shoehorn it in, at times, can be difficult.

We won't be switching to Twitch in the foreseeable platform. It is your opinion that Beam is trash, and mine that Twitch is worse (on a technical level) - and switching to Twitch at this stage gains us nothing while losing us quite a lot.
    AlexC__, Sachrock, _Devil__ and 12 others like this.