The search

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by ShelLuser, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Editorial

Sometimes people ask me why I (still) play Minecraft. A question which is not that easily answered, but one part of it is because Minecraft somehow manages to keep triggering my imagination. I mean... the worlds are so diverse and although they may be "blocky" you can easily look past that.

I took a bet dare, so here ya go. This plays out in the SMP2 wasteland, the area around /waste w. And my story is fully triggered by the landscape. I has pics to proof! ;)

Story time!

I don't know how long I've been traveling but I'm slowly starting to get the idea that this is going no where. "Find the valley of the blocks, then you will find the cave of darkness which contains that what you seek, young adventurer", the elder villager told me. Well, I found the valley but this cave is no where to be found.

Guess that's what you get for trusting those big nosers. They sure like your emeralds but after that... I sigh. This is literally going no where.

Valley of the blocks

It's also getting darker so I decide to set up camp. Fortunately for me it's a full moon tonight which makes things a lot easier. As long as I keep the campfire going I should be safe for any wild creatures. I wonder why they call it the valley of the blocks. Probably because the rock formations look a bit squarish, depending on the angle you look at them. I lie down and look up into the sky.

Wait... is that coal I see? Hmm, maybe I could climb up there tomorrow to see if I can dig it out.

Then I suddenly hear a strange noise. It's almost as if something is following me. Perhaps I shouldn't stay here but try to climb up a bit, after all: legend has it that if you have the high ground you almost immediately won the battle. Or so the story goes of course. A story which could have been told wrong. Oh well...

I decide to continue and finally my luck is starting to turn in my favor. What do you know? A waterfall! I quickly grab my water bottle and fill it up. Aaaah, that's the best way freshen up! After a quick bath (brrr; cold, cold, cold!!!) I get dressed and continue my search. It maybe cold, but it also woke me up pretty well.

After a quick dip in a waterfall I continue my search

It seems as if this valley is going on for miles, one turn after the other and the end is no where in sight. How should I ever find what I'm looking for like this? Oh well, this is not the time for complaining. If I put my mind to it I should be able to find my way in no time. And the full moon is also helping.

After many hours the sun finally starts to rise. One more rock formation and I should get a good overview of the area. I look up to the direction in which the sun comes up when my heart suddenly almost skips a beat. That's... That has to be it: I think I found it, that has got to be it. The mysterious cave of darkness... Now I shall finally find what I was looking for!

But first... I search the area and collect some wood and also hunt some animals. It might be a good idea to stock up on some food and supplies because who knows how long I'll be stuck in that cave? I make myself some extra torches, eat some breakfast and then it's time to explore... Cave of darkness, prepare to get lit up!

Cave of darkness. You got to admit: it really is dark in there! :D

I set foot in the cave and almost immediately wish that I hadn't done that. I hear the growls of a zombie and not much later several arrows fly past my head. I guess this cave is inhabited. I grab my shield and pull out my sword. If it is a fight they want then that's what they'll get!

The fight is long and brutal but fortunately for me these magical creatures lack that which is most important in a battle: creativity and the ability to quickly think ahead. After I slay the creatures I find some magical potion, probably dropped by the zombie. Those are notorious for grabbing things which they find along their way and taking it with them for miles. I also manage to collect some arrows which fortunately missed me. This should help me with any other creatures.

Now to get to work. I grab the torches, some rope and I start attaching the torches to the walls, and after a few moments I manage to lit up most of the cave. I guess the cave of darkness is dark no more!

But all find and well, I still haven't found what I was looking for. Come to think of it: what am I looking for anyway?

After a few hours I managed to light up the cave

I decide to travel deeper into the cave. It might get more dangerous but surely it will also increase my chances of finally solving this weird mystery.

After grabbing the last torch I set out. Hm, the dirt around me is getting soggy, maybe there's an underground river here. But I'd best be careful, if the area is getting wet then it's very well possible to find quicksand, which is very dangerous. Sand which is fully solid and you can walk over it with ease. But as soon as you move it took much, or even do so much as placing a stone on the ground then it will all drop down. Not the best place to be in if you're right on top of a huge cave.

Wait... is that light I see in the distance? It almost looks like a torch. Someone has been here before!

Of course, now I remember. I was looking for my friend. How could I forget? Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I'll bet they're right around the corner waiting for me.

"Have no fear for.... uhm, I am here? Hello there Mr. Sheep", I say when I suddenly notice a lonely sheep in the cave. What is that doing here? "hehehehelooo Shell", the sheep says: "it's good to behehehehe be back". Wait, a talking sheep? How is that possible?

"You can talk?", I ask surprised. "Behehehet of course", the sheep answers: "I'm behehehehere to help you find", it says. Oh, that's pretty cool. A talking magical sheep! Now I should be close to finally succeeding in completing my quest.

Hmm, wait, it slowly starts coming back to me. My quest. Of course: I was here to collect supplies and then head back to town. And I was looking for my friend.

"hehehehelooo Shell", the sheep says.

A friend who was going on a journey. Yes, that was it. A journey to a land far away. Now it makes sense: I'm here to find them before they take off. That must be it! "Sorry sheep, I have to go", I say before running off. Maybe if I'll hurry I can still catch them.

I quickly hurry back to where I came from but there's almost no end to the cave. It's just as if the way back is longer than the way I took when I came here. But that's impossible. Then again, this is rumored to be a magical cave so I guess anything can happen here.

It seems to take me hours but eventually I manage to get back to higher areas. Wait... is that the ocean I smell? Must be it. Yes, there is a small alcove and it almost looks as if.. Yes, this must be what I was looking for. This is the perfect place to set out for sea and sail to areas far away.

I peer across the ocean but unfortunately I can't see any boats or signs that someone has been here. Was I too late?

A small alcove looks out over the ocean

"Shell, are you at the OP yet? It's getting late", someone suddenly says to me. Wait, what? Oh, now I remember it all. "No, sorry... I took a wrong turn. Instead of going to the frontier I ended up in the wastelands", I say: "But I'll get to OP in a few hours. Don't worry".

"Shall I bring some villager eggs?", I ask: "I got an annoying villager which always sells me useless maps. Might as well move him to the OP".

But before that I had to finish this story first :)

The End.

Editorial

So that's what I mean when I say that Minecraft can really trigger your imagination if you let it. A cave becomes a "cave of darkness", a ravine becomes the valley of the blocks and before you know it you're in a huge adventure with zombies, skeletons and talking sheep.

Well, the sheep can't really talk I suppose, only in adventure maps. Still, it doesn't take away the fact that all of this was fully triggered by me walking around the waste and looking at the area around me.

And that's one of the reasons why I still enjoy playing Minecraft. There's always something to do, if you set your mind to it.

Thanks for reading!
    q1zx, 607, Smooshed_Potato and 3 others like this.
  2. Nice!
    Indeed, you might be stick for a while! ;)
    (This thread also somehow makes me tend more towards the side of Rei not being your alt. :rolleyes:)
  3. It's a sticky situation, that's for sure. But I shall correct this and stick with the original story. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it!
    607 likes this.