[POLL] The New Wastelands Name

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Feb 28, 2013.

?

What should the OLD/CURRENT Wild/Nether be named

Frontier 281 vote(s) 57.6%
Empire 28 vote(s) 5.7%
Province 24 vote(s) 4.9%
Nation 11 vote(s) 2.3%
Firmament 8 vote(s) 1.6%
Colony 46 vote(s) 9.4%
Mainland 71 vote(s) 14.5%
Perm (to match with Vola) 6 vote(s) 1.2%
Enduring 13 vote(s) 2.7%
  1. Some of you are aware, in 1.5 we will be adding a secondary Wild and Nether to EMC.

These worlds will serve as policy on how to handle wild resets for new updates.

Going forward, any time a Minecraft Update changes how the wild or nether generates (such as new blocks, structures, etc), these worlds will be reset.

This will provide you the players the freshest access to new content without having to venture really far out in the wild.

This also provides a dedicated resource harvesting location, that will be reset often.

The general idea is that this can be the destroyed wasteland that our current wild is today, and that the current wild can be repaired to stay looking good.

The current wild will be for building and establishing permanent residence in the wild, as you should know we are enabling more wild game play with many wild features that supports living in the wild permanently instead of town.

We originally had this secondary world on EMC and it was called the Wastelands, but was removed before as it wasn't as needed.

But now. we realize that it does have a place and it will be returning permanently.

However, we are giving you, the community, the vote on its name. We are also going to give a name to the CURRENT wild to help make it less confusing, so you can be distinct in messaging on what wild/nether your referencing.

The poll lists many of the best names suggested by the players, so vote which you think is best and will be better for the long term of EMC!

Put consideration into consistency and how it will sound when people talk about it in chat!

Phrases like "meet me in the frontier" or "meet me in the wastelands nether".

SECONDARY POLL HERE FOR VOTING ON THE NEW: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/new-wastelands-poll.22232/
    Please vote on both!

Here are the names we originally suggested / used for this and our reasoning.

• Current Wild/Nether: Frontier - Wild Frontier / Nether Frontier / Frontier Wild / Frontier Nether

Reasoning:

The Wild will be that transition zone in between various settlements/outpost/colonies. This "frontier zone" would match up exactly with the wild/nether, as the areas between settlements encounter monsters and undeveloped terrain.

Soon as you exit a PRA, you enter the Frontier, until you land on another settlement.
    • New Wild/Nether: Wastelands - This land is wasted every update and is the main harvest area. The terrain outside outposts will be "wasted" (as it pretty much is today...) due to mass resource harvesting.
    Here are the rest in a more labeled way with possible variations (New on the other poll):
    CURRENT wild names
    • Original Suggestion: Frontier - Wild Frontier / Nether Frontier / Frontier Wild / Frontier Nether

Reasoning:

The Wild will be that transition zone in between various settlements/outpost/colonies. This "frontier zone" would match up exactly with the wild/nether, as the areas between settlements encounter monsters and undeveloped terrain.

Soon as you exit a PRA, you enter the Frontier, until you land on another settlement.
    • Empire - "The Empire Wild" , "The Empire Nether"
    • The Provinces / Provinces
    • The Nations / Nation
    • The Firmament
    • The Colonies / Colonies / Colony
    • Mainland
    • Perm - Permanent (to match with Vola)
    • Enduring
    Wanderton, L0tad, Kdrama and 12 others like this.
  2. First!

Do you suggest that we establish a wild base in the new wild or it will be reste periodically?
  3. I don't think you can vote on the other thread because you locked it. There are no check boxes to check.
    Kman122000 likes this.
  4. Dang...
  5. Aikar you messed it up lol
    battmeghs likes this.
  6. This sounds extremely promising. Well done!
  7. It's fixed now, just going to have to delete post if someone responds.
  8. But we can respond here. Cant we?
  9. I don't like any of the new names >.>
    jacob5089 likes this.
  10. I may not have said this before, but this is pure genius.
  11. Enduring sounds cool. ^^
    cheezee2 likes this.
  12. I don't quite understand this settlement thing, so you want us to establish fortresses out in these wastelands, even though they will be periodically reset?
    cheezee2 likes this.
  13. No, you do it in the CURRENT wild/nether.

The current one will not reset, but the NEW ones will.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  14. Sounds exciting, I'll get to the vote
  15. So let me understand...
    We have our outposts in the current wild, and we have there in the current wild, a periodically reset area. That area will not be reset?
  16. the new blocks will be added to the current wild/nether tho correct?
  17. I like nation alot, as people are going to establish cities and permanent residences with the dragon tomb update, It will be like a country with small settlements and things. People might build roads inbetween their cities. Roleplay might evolve. So it would be ("Lets go to the nation to travel to "Carlym" [might be a town in the nation]) The current town would be the nations capitol. ^^ So refering to the current town you could say, "I'm travelling to the capitol to visit some shops") It would all be more civilized.

As for the names on the new wild, they all seem to missing something. "I'm heading out to the forsaken" "Lets go mining at/in/on the ravaged" Im not even sure how you say that, though english isnt my native language of course XD

So maybe add lands or anything like that behind those words?

Also regarding the favorite "frontier", my understanding again differs a bit. From the american history (which most of the readers might heard from) the "new frontier" was the wild unknown untamed land of new opportunities, freedom, no law and so on. It was undiscovered land for the imigrants.

We could argue their is no "new" in "frontier" ^^ But anyways I'm missing the adventures feeling of the word "frontier" when I look at the current wild. To go beyond something to go to wild dangerous lands.

Our current wild isnt really that undiscovered. Their are settlements all over and once the dragon tomb update is out those settlements will be closer to the spawn, so people actually reach them.

The new wild on the other hand is what I believe is like a frontier. The map is fresh, every once in a while. You are the first person to ever discover those lands. Every time it resets its like a new found island, like north america when it was discovered. Due to patch changes, this new island might supplies us with new materials. Isnt that what the word "frontier" is all about :p?
    pyro_vampiress likes this.
  18. We have the current wild, which will NOT be reset. There you can biuld things like outposts or grinder. And we will get a NEW wild, which will be reset. This area can be used for only mining or get easy new blocks from the new updates
    ---
    I thing they will be added if you go far away in the wild and discover land, where no one was before the update was out.
  19. i chose the frontier, because it really fits, if people are going there to settle in the lands unknown, it fits with frontier perfectly! and i see many people like it too! :D
    i also picked forsaken for the new worlds, because to me, forsaken lands seems scary and fun! :D

i have a question though, you kind of covered it, but not really... does this mean, in the wild now, that those death pits around EVERY base are going to be healed/covered over/fixed? because that would be the greatest thing ever.. just think of how appealing going to the wild will be with no drops like that! i'm excited already! i sure hope that is what is going to happen!
    migueldemesa likes this.
  20. If we could pick other names i would pick NUBLand