The Game of Thrones! - WARNING: SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by batmegh, Jun 13, 2013.

1. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  2. This came out the day after episode 1 of season 8 worth the read too how each dragon relates to the person it was named after.

And finally we have Viserion, the now undead dragon, named after Daenerys’ older brother from season one, Viserys. We all thought Viserys was a “true dragon,” but in season one Daenerys literally told us that he wasn’t after he was burned to death: “He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.” Similarly, we all thought Viserion was a true dragon, but after last season’s “Beyond the Wall” episode we saw Viserion killed and reborn as something else. He’s no longer a “true” dragon. And if you remember closely, as soon as he was hit with the Night King’s icy spear, Viserion burst into flames. “Fire cannot kill a dragon.”

https://www.purewow.com/news/dragon...N-H6iH8fYsqIo-kBwJsFoeKJlirL-xy_kQOJoWOxodegc
  3. him bursting into fire wasn't what killed him though..... so that makes no flippin' sense at all.
    he burst into flames when he died, kind of similar to a necromancer or some of the kind bursting into flames or smoke when you kill them on a game.
  4. Yeah Viserion didn't burst into flames. He got hit through the throat by the ice javelin while he was spewing flame. The new hole in his neck caused the fire to leak out and cover his body. It was the bleeding out through the neck artery that killed him.
    The_Boulder and batmegh like this.
  5. Won't post much more until later in case anyone hasn't seen and somehow (?) ends up here and gets spoiled.

But.

Grey Worm is one of my new favorite characters for his performance in this episode alone.
    The_Boulder likes this.
  6. In the same boat as hash

But Jesus.... this episode...
  7. ........................... angry.
  8. Guess I'll be the first to spill the beans with a picture and go from there...
    jacob5089 likes this.
  9. double post .. sorry not sorry haha
  10. The lost stashes of wild fire exploding green, when the dragon attacked, was a nice touch!
    Hashhog, batmegh and The_Boulder like this.
  11. Gonna give my guess for the finale. Not a spoiler since I have no idea what is actually gonna happen. Daenerys kills Tyrion. Daenerys kills Jon. Arya kills Daenerys. Sansa takes the throne. These are just guesses by me. I'm sure I'm wrong or at least partially wrong. How does everyone else think it will end and who will sit on the iron throne when it's over?
    batmegh likes this.
  12. Drogon is bigger and presumably slower than Rhaegal. The Scorpion ballistae shot Rhaegal three times, all very accurately, within the space of ten seconds last episode. And get this episode they are as slow and inaccurate as they are in real life, and miss every single shot. I like Drogon and I hope he survives the finale (which he won't because he's a metaphor for a nuclear bomb and GRRM is sending a pacifistic message), but really??

Daenerys's descent into 'madness' was so poorly executed. I wouldn't even say she was 'mad' when Varys was plotting against her - she thought her advisors were plotting against her and they were, she thought Sansa would tell everyone Jon's parentage and she did, and she wanted to siege King's Landing because THAT'S HOW WAR WORKS. There was no reason for Varys to see her as mad until she ignored the surrender bells because she decided the episode needed an extra forty minutes and some cool scenes of stuff blowing up.

I can handle her descending into lunacy, but it needs to be done in a way where you don't get whiplash.

Kit Harington is paid 3x the Prime Minister of his country's salary to say the words "My Queen" and "I don't want it."

Why did Jaime go back to Cersei when he's prophecised to kill her and his entire character arc was about realising Cersei doesn't really love him and he's being manipulated by her, and finding true love in Brienne? And why didn't HE FULFIL THE PROPHECY

Some rocks killed 2 main characters and the Night King killed... 1 main character if you consider the dragons to be mains.

Did the showrunners forget about Nymeria or did they forget Nymeria wasn't a horse?

Thank God there's only one episode left. They can't butcher this show any further, right?

The thing I loved though was Dany's army going berserk when she did. That happens IRL - leader goes on a rampage, the army does too.
  13. Kinda don't care anymore with this show. They've been on x5 fast forward the whole time. These 'great' battles are lasting minutes at most. With the way they have taken this they could have slowed it down a bit and pull 2 seasons out of it. 1 season for the White Walkers and the last season the battle for it all.

All series long we hear about the white walkers and season 7 was them walking to the wall and season 8 they're done with in minutes. Why are you rushing this?!

All these great armies and no battles because they either give up, killed immediately or a dragon kills everything.

Very disappointed for sure and couldn't care less if I see the finale or not.
  14. Man, the fight between the Mountain and Sandor was great.
  15. Ya that was one of the only good parts.
  16. i loved me some hound. wish that hadn't happened. :(
  17. I'm watching as a book reader and a lover of what this show was from Season 1 - Season 5 (if we just ignore Dorne). I want to know how it ends, because it's looking like the only official ending we'll get (and since George R.R Martin doesn't work on or watch or recommend the show anymore, is it really official? 🤪). That's all I'm really watching for.

DnD screwed themselves over, really.

The books have the White Walkers appear very rarely - once in the prologue, when they turn the wildlings into wights and kill two of the Night's Watch men and leave one alive. They are described, pretty much, as 'tall and gaunt' men with translucent skin, that wear camouflaging armour, speak in a language of ice cracks, look beautiful, and appear to be hunting for a Stark boy.

Jeor Mormont tells Tyrion that some fishermen on a boat at Eastwatch think that they saw men matching the above description walking along the coastline. Tyrion laughs it off and starts going on about mermaids, and if a second-hand account of seeing Others is enough to convince Mormont that they're real, he should believe in mermaids too.

They don't appear again until Book #3. Sam Tarly kills one at the Battle of the Fist of the First Men, saving Grenn from being killed by it. At the Mutiny at Craster's Keep, one of Craster's wives mentions that the Others will come for Craster's next son soon, and when they do, the mutineers are all going to die. Mance mentions them next when talking to Jon Snow, saying that he is only trying to lead the wildlings to safety from the Others.

Just before Jon is killed, he gets word of the wildlings at Hardhome being massacred. The Others wiped out the wildling city, and have resurrected all of the dead - even in the ocean there are wights in the form of dead fish, squid... possibly even krakens.

They're mysterious creatures that probably have their own civilisation in the books. Their purpose is forever hidden, the only insight we have being Melisandre's theory that they serve the Great Other - the God of Death/Darkness - and only the Prince Who Was Promised (Rhaegar Targaryen), wielding Lightbringer (Jon Snow), can defeat them. The fight against them will most likely be a traditional war with all of the Seven Kingdoms and Daenerys and the armies of her cities fighting the wights and Others, perhaps with a final battle between Jon or Arya and the literal God of Death.

The show went with scary silent ice people (they had a language originally but it was scrapped) called White Walkers that follow a leader. Which is fair enough, watch 'Hardhome' (my favourite show addition) and tell me that they don't scare the living daylights out of you, especially when the Night King raises the dead wildlings and stares Jon down. You feel hopeless. A few episodes ago Jon Snow was saying that even the Seven Kingdoms, united together, even with the Wildlings, can't stop them and Daenerys's war for the throne doesn't mean anything.

To have that come down to an episode where Jon Snow, Lightbringer, does nothing and Winterfell is nothing special despite being enchanted by Brandon The Builder, the creator of The Wall, and nobody dies is... disappointing. The Night King was nothing special. He just led some useless generals. He did nothing either. The most menacing villain this show has ever had got killed in a sneak attack by a person that seemingly teleported behind him, and he didn't have the mental capacity to plan for Arya simply dropping a knife into her other hand and stabbing him with it, despite being able to see the future like Bran can.

If they were so... not special, then why did they play such a prominent role in the show? Why not just stick to the source material and have them be a strange civilisation of different, almost alien beings like the Children of the Forest were? That, at least, explains why they're coming south - they want more land, a truce signed 3,000 years ago ran out, or they're trying to stop the mass resurgence of magic we see happening across the world in the book that coincided with the red comet/birth of Dany's dragons. I don't know. They're more interesting and so much... better executed.

Daenerys begins her slip into madness in the fifth book, immediately after she rides Drogon for the first time. She spends the entire thing distraught over Drogon burning a little girl to death (the pile of bones she has dumped at her feet by the crying father), wonders if she's becoming her father, can't get over the fact that a little girl is dead because of her. By the end of the book, after riding Drogon, she can't remember the girl's name and doesn't care anymore. She hears Jorah's voice in the breeze, coming from the grass, telling her to "Be a dragon."

The 'coin flip' happens in what is Season 5 in the show. Not the penultimate episode of Season 8. Forgive me, but until Episode 4, there was nothing of substance to seriously suggest Daenerys was a nutcase and there was nothing until Episode 5 showing her actually being a nutcase.

I'm not mad at what the show is doing. I'm mad about how it's done, how rushed it feels. I really, really wish they'd kept the episode amount at 10 and took HBO's offer of 3 more seasons after Season 6. It's just... annoying. I suppose, after a while, I'll fill in the gaps and make everything make sense in my head and make my own ending. I just feel like the plot is driving the characters now, not the other way around (as any writer worth their salt would write), and the white walkers felt anti-climactic because of execution, not because it was actually anti-climactic. The signs for Arya killing the NK are all there, we just didn't get any payoff for Jon.

On top of that they massacred my boy Rhaegal in the dumbest way possible and I cannot forgive that.
    607 and __Devil_ like this.
  18. Never seen the show but I do plan to watch it on some streaming service because of all the recent hype because of its last season.
    jacob5089 likes this.