The frontier newbie thread

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Gawadrolt, Dec 16, 2018.

1. New to the frontier? Read on for some tips and info on the community

I would like a helpful thread for new people
    so I decided I would go ahead and do this :D

I got on smp3 today and found someone that had gone out into the frontier. The have only been on emc for 2 days. So I ask what they are up to and they say they built themselves a house in the frontier. I told them I was going to be right back, running to smp7 to pick up some supplies to bring to this new guy.

When I got back he was gone but I had his house pulled up on /map in a browser so I found his house and this happened:

Inside the chest I left a few things:

Then he showed up while I was setting this up for him:

I often run out to outposts and help with supplies, building things, creating tunnels through the nether so that you can have fast access to town from your outpost/frontier builds. If you need help with anything like that, send me a message here on the forums or catch me in game sometime.

/f add Gawadrolt

This command will make it so that you can see when I come online.

The frontier has a few things
    that new players should know.

1. The frontier NEVER resets.

2. You have basically unlimited space to build

3. The closer you are to spawn, the less you can expand your builds. Near spawn is good for builds to show off and make it so that when people enter the frontier they see something neat, inspiring.

4. Go further away from spawn to set up your base of operations. You can message me if you want help finding a place that you can get your base/outpost established so that it will be YOUR area that you are in control of.

5. Survival is pretty simple: Food:wood:stone:ARMOR and you can do most things in minecraft. Iron and diamonds are always nice though :D

6. FARMS starting out you want to make sure you at least have a bed and food so you can survive but as you go on building more farms in or near your outpost is a good idea for self sustainability. At first, buying some cow eggs and making a pen for them will be really helpful alongside a wheat farm to breed them. Leather, steak(one of the best foods) and xp.

If you have any suggestions for new people put them in the comments and I will add them to the OP with who suggested what. :D

Others suggestions, resources and aid offered to help brand new players:

Eviltoade: Use /ps to turn off enraged and boss spawns in the survival tab. you can use /diff to raise or lower the difficulty as well. Recommends that new players turn off enraged and boss spawns until getting familiar with the game. (New players to EMC that have played minecraft before shouldn't have any problem with enraged/boss spawns IMO)

Theyoshwhobuilds: Get together with other players to establish an outpost and work with others to build farms. Theyoshwhobuilds is a big fan of texture packs.
  2. bump, if you have any suggestions at all let us know :D

I got one: use lower half slabs and stairs to keep mobs from spawning on your roofs to your buildings and you won't get surprised by a creeper that just happens to drop in ;)
    607 likes this.
  3. For the new player, I would highly recommend turning Enraged and Boss spawns off. To do this type /PS, then click on the survival tab. There you will see both categories, which you can set to off on the smp you are on, or all smps.

You can also adjust your Difficulty setting - 5 is about normal survival gameplay, but you can lower it if you are struggling, or raise it if you want a little more challenge.
    AncientTower likes this.
  4. This would be something I would be bringing up in the EMC tutorial videos I'm wanting to record soon, not sure when it'll be though.

In my first video, I'm thinking of starting from the very beginning, you don't own Minecraft, and you don't have it on your PC.

In the 2nd video, we'd be getting into the meat and potatoes of getting started on EMC, how to claim a plot, how to check if you already have a plot, the basic commands on EMC (player settings being one of them), etc. Then introducing the players to the different worlds on EMC and how they work.

That's kind of a rough layout of how I'm going to be putting together the first couple of videos, the rest is still up in the air.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  5. Cool idea thx for the tips
  6. Im kinda wondering how most people deal with eyender because he has caused me to lose all my items about 3 times now. Even if I have a bed near by he always seems to teleport me into caves and kill me over and over while I mine to it. Also he seems to agro on you from a long way away even if you are on difficulty 1 which is completely broken. Honestly, I have difficulty killing him without dying when I switch to difficulty 1 and its absolutely no fun either, ive beaten dark souls 3 and none of the bosses annoyed me as much. I want to be able to disable him from spawning for me without disabling the other bosses which are actually enjoyable to fight.
    607 likes this.
  7. Most of the time I see people lure the eyender near spawn and deal with him that way, cheap but effective. You have to make sure to use the drops when you kill the minions so that you do more damage. all the bosses are a pain. I think marlix is the worst personally.
    zandbeast and 607 like this.
  8. I might add that joining an outpost or making one with some friends might be an easier and more fun way to build farms and a base in the wild. Also use the v2 textures because wood looks super good.