The Fabulous Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ILTG, Dec 22, 2017.

1. I was debating whether I should make this thread or not, seeing as how there was a similar one made in July, but -- well, that was in July, and this is a different thread.

I'm creating this for you to share your thoughts, concerns, suggestions, and anything else about the Switch. I saw that the previous thread didn't get much attention, but I'm hoping that I'll have a few takers on this one. :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I first heard about the Nintendo Switch when it was called "Project NX", back in 2016, or sometime around then. I was super exited to find out what it was all about, so when more information finally came out, I was extremely happy. I was even more so when I learned that "Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild" was coming out on Project NX, or, as I read, the "Nintendo Switch".

I had only ever really played LOZ:ST, and I had never owned a console of my own, unless you include a Gameboy Advance and a DS Lite. Therefore, I made it my goal to get a Switch and a copy of BOTW for myself.

Of course, I've always been a procrastinator.

So, I forgot that I had to actually "make money" in order to buy things... I realized this just days before the release of the Switch.

I got off my duff and immediately started asking neighbors for yard work to do. I only had $45 in my wallet, and that definitely wouldn't be enough to purchase a $299 console plus a $60 game. I did work in my own yard and two other yards that day, earning $112. It sounds crazy, I know, but boy, was I thankful for my generous old neighbors (and let's not forget my hard-working self!). I spent the next two days walking around two other neighborhoods looking for work, and was able to find just enough work -- in those two days, I made the remaining money I needed for the console -- $299 (it was like $300 or very close). Even though I had enough for the Switch itself, there was still one problem: I didn't have $60 for the game!

My mom (god bless) was very kind, and loaned me the money for a copy of BOTW to go along with the Switch (she also paid the tax. love her :)). Of course, I wasn't able to get a warranty, but I digress...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

welp it's 3:00am now, so I'd best get to bed

Share your stories or whatever. I'd love to read them!

goodnight, EMC :D
    SkeleTin007 and 607 like this.
  2. You made $300,- in three days? o_o Wow! :p
    But it's cool that you did garden work. My grandma has offered to have me do things for money before, but I've always declined. I'm not a fan of working for money. :p I mean, I guess I'll have to do it, later... but then I'll have an intellectual job, and not a physical one.

Have you got any other games since?
    To me, Snipperclips, TumbleSeed and Snake Pass looked like cheap and fun games. I haven't kept up with the release of new games since the second month or so, but I have seen Nintendo's big titles, with as a highlight of course Super Mario Odyssey.

Edit: I also just checked sales on Wikipedia, and it looks like it's doing as great as I had hoped, and expected! :D
    ILTG likes this.
  3. Wow impressive that you got that much for it I do wish I could have one
    ILTG likes this.
  4. Did you help her out at least for free?
    ILTG likes this.
  5. No. Never with physical work, I think...
  6. As of right now I have BOTW, Skyrim, King of Fighters '98, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, and this fun little game called Astro Bears Party -- I got it on sale for $3.49 -- more as a joke than anything else.
    607 likes this.
  7. The first of when I had heard of the switch when it was released, which I believe was around March or April of 2017, I was like, "Oh, another one of those Nintendo Consoles to add to the book of disappointment." I never intended on ever purchasing it; it seemed like another one of those gimmicks like the Wii U was. As time when on, every week there was another post about how 'Great the Nintendo Switch is!' So I decided to take matters into my own hands and look more into it. I found myself at work looking at these reviews and posts about this console for a solid 3 hours (luckily the work day was slow). I then decided that I'd buy one just for the hay of it, I mean, I hadn't played Zelda since the N64 days, so why not right?

I got my hands on the console about 3 months later, since they were on backorder for so long. Honestly, the console is breathtaking. For something that small to play beautiful games like Zelda, Doom, Skyrim, the list goes on, is astonishing. The thing has ruined my social life! I've been stuck playing on it for it seems like minutes, but hours. Usually when someone picks up a console, the first thing they do is judge the graphics and performance. The thing with Nintendo is that it's something you can't describe, you do have the high feeling of great performance but you can't judge them for their family friendly style. It's something that you're either impressed or not, but believe me, this is something that you can't pass up.

I'm glad to see where the Nintendo Switch is right now, Nintendo in my opinion is doing everything correctly. They're a very generous company and I can't wait to see where they go. As a mainly PC player, this is something that I hope to see compete with PC gaming in the upcoming years. Technology is wonderful, it is something that will be with us forever and I can't wait to see where it will take us and how it will advance so greatly.

Cheers and enjoy your Switch :)
    (Also, whose excited for Payday 2 on Switch? :p)

EDIT: Realized that this was a old thread, but oh well. Hope you're still enjoying the Switch :rolleyes:
    ILTG and 607 like this.
  8. It's the newest around. ;)
    The original thread is from October 2016.
    ILTG and OriginalJMB like this.
  9. It is fairly old, I suppose, but we'll have to make it active again. :)

I've been pretty inactive on the forums lately. Hopefully with me leaving my current job I'll be able to make more time for fun stuff like this.

My Switch is definitely very fun. I have Skyrim, but I haven't played it in over a month, but I'm gonna get back into it soon.
    OriginalJMB and 607 like this.
  10. Nitrome is coming to Nintendo Switch! :D

I haven't really followed Nitrome, recently, as they've been making free-to-play mobile games, and I'm generally not a fan of those. I am of course a fan of Nintendo games, though, so a game for Switch... that is cool!
    ILTG and OriginalJMB like this.
  11. omg! I can't wait!! they have so many great games (mainly their older ones) that I'd love to play on the Switch.
    OriginalJMB and 607 like this.