The Empire's Classy New Spawns

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Dec 24, 2014.

1. It's just so beautiful! And SMP8 seems to be my fave colour purple!! Great work Staff and Build Team! :)
  2. It looks amazing, but I feel like the old spawn was a bit of a historical monument. It has a TON of sentimental value. Will the old spawn be saved anywhere on EMC (like one of the 120x120 reses)?

EDIT: 6008 is pre-occupied, but if anyone has a spare and blank spawn res, I would happily donate some rupees, resources, and help to build a spawn replica.
  3. The current Tutorial is still using a clone of the old building, I have a copy of it saved on my piece of Stage as well (hopefully Krysyy doesn't kick me in the butt for saying so :eek:), and there may be other locations where the old design can still be seen.
    Speaking honestly, I did want to try and retain as much of the feeling of the Old spawn as I could (sandstone, glowstone, use of glass) while giving it the updates requested (use of server-colored clay, new Server portal room, flag shop, etc).
    I know not everyone will be entirely pleased with the new look, but hopefully it'll grow on them - I can still remember the old Empire Shop, when it was on a 124x124 space, and that overhaul took a little getting used to as well. :)
    ShelLuser and Olaf_C like this.
  4. The old spawn res is saved on stage and will be in the tutorial until I get a chance to move it.
    When laying out the design, we went with a similar look in having a domed roof, but it needed a major update. In addition, we made sure to keep it at a smaller height as I know that spawn res owners wouldn't want a giant skyscraper that blocks all view. We kept elements of the old, but it was definitely time for some new. ;)
  5. what about something blue?
  6. Olaf_C likes this.
  7. Well, he didn't fix your Rudolph in the waterfall of smp6's portal room :)
  8. Late response, but so little time, and I just could not bring myself to either ignoring or postponing until upcoming weekend (yippee; more building / playing then for me).

Well, on the bright side you'll know that what you're doing will get a good sense of appreciation, surely that helps? But yah, all things considered; maybe you should ask for a raise. Something extra to drink perhaps? :)

Anyway, enough jesting... and the rest is obviously meant for the whole build team (I just couldn't resist the comment above ;))

Very nice work you guys!

Being still quite new here I obviously don't have that much sentimental value with the previous build, but that's also triggered by not using the spawn areas as often (thanks to the teleport commands). Even so, I did check it out of course when I noticed the change and well...

In some beginner post I commented how the spawn area provided people new to the server with those easy teleports, which allow you to quickly to the several regions. So obviously I think its a big pro to add teleports to other servers into the mix as well. In the beginning new players only need to remember /town and then they can go anywhere. Even to other servers..

But what I like most of all is that those server teleports aren't in plain sight. You have to walk down (iirc) to reach the area and I like how this design doesn't make the portals too obvious, while they're still very easy to reach.

I'm all for helping out new players and trying to make things as easy as possible for them, don't get me wrong. But I also think it's good not to overdo those things. Like here; where you also leave some parts ready to discover by the players themselves. That only adds up to gameplay I think. The sense of actually discovering a new area.

Some people will limit themselves to the regular teleports, others will explore and find (and probably use) the server teleports.

I think that's a really good setup. A nice and good looking design which also provides a certain gameplay.

And well, also noteworthy, and maybe most important: people who were used to the old spawn (during my house building & storage moving I used the enderchest there more frequently) will have no problem finding their way in the new spawn. No: "I know there must be an enderchest somewhere but where the heck did they hide that?".

May sound all too obvious and simple, it still proves quite a problem for a lot of people.

SO yah, my quick impressions 8)
    Kephras likes this.
  9. It gets more epic each time
    Kephras and krysyyjane9191 like this.