[Survival tip] The clopen door :)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

Aya discovered this one more or less by accident but the moment I saw this on our place on SMP9 I remembered having seen this before. Anyway...

We all know the drill, right? You build something in the wilderness and to prevent nasty mobs from coming in while also allowing you to go in and out you place a door. Easy. Only problem: remembering to keep that door closed, because if you don't then nasties will still walk in :eek:

Well, now you no longer have to ;)

You're seeing this right: this door is open but if you check its properties then Minecraft will claim that it's closed. Better yet: when a mob approaches this door (zombie, skeleton, etc.) then it won't be able to pass it, simply because the system has decreed that this door is closed. And you can't walk through a closed door, now can you?

Well, actually you can :p So effectively keeping your place open and easily accessible while still being protected from unwanted mobs coming in.

How does this work?

Simple: when placing the door try to place it sideways, so against the wall. You'll know when you got it right when the door makes an opening sound when you close it, and a closing sound when you open it. Got a headache yet? ;)

This is how I placed the door, notice the cross hair.

After that you're home free.

When the door is open (as shown above) then all mobs will think it's closed and won't try to pass through it. And when you do close it (so basically open it) then the mobs may try to pass it but they can't because the door is now physically blocking their path. Better yet: as a bonus zombies will now also no longer try to break the door down. Why should they? It's already opened afterall :D

So yeah, maybe an interesting tip for when you're out in the wilderness and need shelter from those pesky mobs.

2. Nice find! That's a pretty amusing logic bug.
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  3. That's clever.
    I (almost) can't believe I haven't seen that before, as it's really simple and logical.
    Thanks for sharing. :)
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Magic man Shel :D
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  5. Snazzy.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  6. This is interesting, I have no use for it though I can see it as quite a helpful tool.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. *waits for Aikar to patch bug*
  8. Cool trick! An easier option is carpet over signs or fence posts. Mobs won't cross this either.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. How?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. It was a joke...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. Sooooo this should be interesting for use on a village with the village idiots! I see a bunch of them standing outside of the homes though with the doors open or closed them being safe. Here's to hoping this will work in my wild trading output village...
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.