[SURVEY] Recent Auction Changes

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sent in the survey and I am gonna see how this plays out basically :p
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  2. I've thrown out my opinion on the matter, I never found them to be spammy but if we want to meet in the middle I believe the bump counter should be doubled to 6 hours from previous rules. As well as the auction quantity... Make it single chest for both Reverse Auctions and Auctions for blocks/ingots/gems/ect. The head and promo quantity were fine previously before the change. The added recent thread count was an added bonus, thumbs up on my part.

I've cooled down on the matter but here is my "honest" opinion both above and below.

This should have been discussed before the rules were set in place before ALL of the outrages for that week took place. I'm glad it wasn't forgotten to be discussed but let's learn from this
    Jelle68, ShelLuser and FadedMartian like this.
  3. Based on those figures, there doesn't seem much of any difference, if anything I would be more inclined to do an auction now with no bumping then before.

Thanks for this Krysyy
  4. So there had only been 20 bucket, dirt, other useless stuff auctions that have taken place? Are you sure that isn't just the number that FadedMartian has done? Seems like there has been more than 20.
  5. 1St Please move the place for new postings to the TOP of the Page.

2nd I don't know anything about forum auctions so can you give an intro? (What they offer, how it works, when is it working? )
    AND maybe have players not only post what they have but also what they need, making it a "craigs list" kind of auction.
  6. Why does everyone hate my bucket auctions, and feel the need to keep mentioning them here?

Many people are in need of buckets (as we have seen on each and every auction), and I simply have a surplus of buckets. You know, they are useful tools in-game. :)

Also, I'd like to point out that just because people do not auction off multiple buckets, does not mean they are not using the new auction rule change for any quantity of item. This includes auctioning off renamed items, and small amounts of item (such as the 'ol dirty boii, which set an EMC record with a reverse auction going in negative bids before being shutdown).

I appreciate the thought that went into this charade, but I find that first statistic to be inaccurate.
  7. Gawadrolt and FadedMartian like this.
  8. Gawadrolt and ShelLuser like this.
  9. Going to do some follow-up on this
    (The list is in a spoiler because it's loooooooong)

• 1 Very Damaged Anvil renamed "My Emotional State"
    • 1 Gold Ingot
    • 1 Paper renamed "Bill of Rights"
    • 9 Milk Buckets
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Orange Concrete renamed "CHEEZ IT"
    • 1 Emerald
    • 1 Pumpkin Pie
    • 2 Stone Buttons renamed "SSRC Buttons"
    • 1 Paper renamed "ally"
    • 1 Dirt block
    • 1 Dirt block
    • 1 Pumpkin Pie renamed "Cow Pie"
    • 1 Grass Block
    • 1 Piece of Leather
    • 1 Dirt Block
    • 1 Bucket of Milk
    • 2 Feathers
    • 1 Egg renamed "Sachrock"
    • 1 Fiery Porkchop renamed "Cooked Villager Meat"
    • 1 Dead Bush
    • 1 Dirt Block renamed "Krysyy"
    • 1 Anvil renamed "Bob The Builder"
    • 1 Fish renamed "You are my wife now"
    • 1 Ender Pearl
    • 1 Dirt Block
    • 1 Lava Bucket renamed "Spicy Nacho Cheese Dip"
    • 1 Stick
    • 1 Dirt Block
    • 1 Villager Egg renamed "THE_OP_VILLAGER"
    • 1 Cookie
    • 1 Dirt Block
    • 2 Seeds
    • 1 Anvil
    • 1 Thick Potion
    • 2 Carrots
    • 3 Written Books renamed "Coupon Book"
    • 1 Bucket of Milk (this was the infamous 1mil milk bucket btw)
    • 2 Chests
    • 1 Netherrack Block
    • 3 Stone Swords and a Written Book (contents unknown)
    • 16 Buckets
    • 16 Buckets
    • 16 Buckets
    • 16 Buckets
    • 1 Cow Spawn Egg and 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Firey Porkchop renamed "Spicy Villager Meat"
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Egg renamed "Dragon Egg"
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Bucket
    • 1 Potato renamed "Bob"
    • 1 Carrot
    • 6 Bread renamed "Bun", 3 Rose Red renamed "Tomato", 3 Sugar Cane renamed "Lettuce", 2 Steak renamed "Very Juicy Steak", 1 Steak renamed "Super Juicy Steak", and 3 Yellow Wool renamed "American Cheese"
    • 1 Bucket

tl;dr: 71 spam auctions were posted since the rule changes, with ~10 more that were borderline spam but I chose not to include to give Krysyy the benefit of the doubt

So, with that all out of the way, here are some more accurate numbers
    Previous:
    • There were 73 Auctions during the pre-change period. Post change there were 156. Increase of 213%. (when you exclude bucket auction spam, ~136 or 186% increase in auctions posted)
    Actual:
    • There were 73 Auctions during the pre-change period. Post change there were 156. Increase of 213%. (when you exclude auction spam, 85 or 16% increase in auctions posted)
    That is all, carry on with the discussion
  10. you can't just pick auctions that fit your agenda and say. there here is evidence that it worked. there is no excuse.
    TasteOfTerror and thebekkav like this.
  11. Umm, literally everyone in the entire world does this. The people that do not selectively pick data are the minority and rarely heard from.

With that being said, everything Krysyy pulled is public record in the Auction Archives. Inarguably there are other factors at play, hence the community survey to make the final decision.

If someone found more overlapping auctions in the time interval - I would be willing to shove that into the OP, regardless of how it makes the policy look. I have no agenda to push - just 1.13 to work on. ;)
  12. do you think that 5 good auctions out of all the bad ones is good enough stat then so be it. The only people that are on the mods side are the ignorant to the auction page people. Those people never use the auction page so it doesn't matter to them. lol
  13. I presume that is directed at me. I am making not judgement either way on the value of the stats provided.
    As you point out, 5 auctions isn't many to compare on. But without waiting longer to have this poll - hard to do expand the search radius.

I welcome all thoughts on the matter. I am in the group of people that don't use the auction section, so I am not going to fill out the survey. Hopefully others will do the same.
  14. I hate to call you wrong, but that's very wrong. I get that you didn't like the auction changes. That's what the survey is for. But you're oversimplifying other people's arguments to make them easier to attack, on top of making broad generalizations about a significant portion of the community.

Though there is some evidence that Krysyy cherrypicked data, it's not quite as extreme as you're making it out to be. On top of that, you made the claim that anyone who supports the decision to change the auction system doesn't use auctions in the first place, but that's not the case either. Many, if not all, of the people who are passionate about this auction change feel this way because it affected them personally. Most likely they aren't just going to flame or agree with the staff blindly
  15. explain this guy then. who has no idea what is going on in this thread and he probly voted in the survey saying that he agrees with the mods lol
  16. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. There are so many things that are wrong with this argument. First of all, this is not a "Mods vs players" discussion, that is blatant stereotyping and is a massive generalization. Second, and more relevant to this specific argument, this post is purely speculation and has absolutely no basis in fact. You have no idea what Arkon said in his survey response, or if he even submitted one at all. I really don't want to play the "think twice before you post" card here, but I feel like I have to. Sure, this is a large change to the forums that most people know about, but you can't just go calling people out like that for no reason.
  17. It's time for a shell vent, because I did some digging of my own ;)

Disclaimer

It is not my intention to (re)start a whole discussion, all I want to do is look back and review the current situation as it is right now. No bias, no criticism, no sneaky attacks. Just looking at were we are now.

Honestly? I think you might end up surprised about a few things, I know I was. And in case you're wondering: No, my personal opinion hasn't changed, but that's also not the point here.

A cleaner auction forum

Advertising auctions and bumping them is no longer allowed. Something which annoyed quite a few players because this would make it a lot more difficult for players to notice your running auction. As some people commented: in the past some auctions only kicked off after a bump.

But do me a favor if you will and at least look at the current auction forum. Do you notice anything different? I do. At the time of writing there are only 15 threads in there, all resemble active auctions. Which means that there is no more risk of heavy clutter caused by older threads as we had in the past. That definitely helps for an auction to be noticed.

Auction income?

Now, this section is a little bit controversial I suppose because obviously you can't really measure this. Nothing as dynamic and unpredictable (!) as an auction. But we can try. Just keep in mind that this isn't any solid proof, it's merely looking at the current situation.

Even so... I decided to look at saddles so I dug up some old auctions from the (recent) past:

December 2016; end bid 5500r.
    May 2017; end bid 1500r.
    June 2017; end bid 4050r.
    August 2017; end bid 5940r.

So, this means that for this example we have an average end bid of 4248r.

Now, I didn't pick this by random ;) There has been an auction for 1 DC of saddles which sat right under the new rules:

August 2018; end bid 10k.

As I stated earlier, and I need to stress this out: this doesn't mean anything. Because I can also dig up some other auctions (but with greater care due to the advertising rule):

Iron support voucher goes for 35k (seems cheap to me).
    1DC of Redstone dust goes for 12k (this auction is over, I double checked).

12k for (64*9*6). So: 12,000 / 3456 = approx. 3 rupees per dust, which seems fair to me.

But let's compare this example as well:

February 2018; end bid: 15k.
    April 2018; end bid: 13500r.

So in all fairness I can't help but conclude that generally speaking nothing has changed much with regards to income from auctions. Sure, I know: that iron voucher went cheap, true. But here's the problem: is that because of the new auction rules, or could it be that not too many players were looking for iron vouchers back then? This is also why we cannot consider any of my examples as solid proof. It isn't, these are impressions at best.

But having said that, I still don't think things went as bad as some of us feared.

No bumping?

Sure, I definitely agree that in the past bumping helped some auctions to get noticed after which they picked up. It's true, you cannot deny that fact. But if you look at my examples then you may also notice something else: Most of those older auctions ended with bumping.

And why did we bump anyway? Was it to get noticed in the recent threads section or to get noticed in the auction forum itself?

I know some of us got bothered with the 'recent threads' box which was dominated by auctions. But to be honest that never bothered me too much because I never relied on that in the first place; I always skim over the what's new? section instead.

So my conclusion?

Yeah, I'll save that for the survey :D
  18. I do want to address this. This thread and request from feedback was not posted because Krysyy or the staff team saw the outrage and went "Whoops, we made a mistake." As stated in the original thread:
    1. We knew there would be outrage considering the dramatic nature of the changes.
    2. We always planned to look at this as an experiment that would be evaluated again later once we saw how it played out.
    If you had been handed all the changes we proposed before any of it was done, can you honestly say you would've kept your mind open to any of them even though looking at the current situation, things actually have gone pretty well (especially in comparison to everyone's dire predictions)?

The plan was always to work with the community. Just because the way we decided to work with the community (make the changes and let them evaluate the result) is different than the way you expected us to work with the community does not mean that we leapt into things without thinking.
  19. So you're saying Krysyy can not pick auctions which "fit her agenda" (kinda biased wording but who am I to judge)
    But on the other hand you did just use a single reply and picked it out to fit your feude against the rules change. There is no excuse. lol

Why would you seriously assume someone who did not inform themselves about a change of rules which affect them would just go ahead and vote in favour of said change? This does not make any sense at all.

Just because you see some posts complaining about the change does it not implicate that everyone hates them and feels the need of a rebellion. A lot of players who agree with the change just don't make posts agreeing and keep it to themselves.

Excuse my brevity, typing on my mobile at 2AM
  20. i really dont think its worth arguing this anymore on this thread.

the way i see it is those of us who dislike what we preceived krysyy's/ the staff's angle had the chance to voice our opinion in the August 11th post.

There's no reason to argue on this thread too. We wanted to give our input and now we have the chance to send in a survey.

Come on friends, aren't you sick of all this conflict? Cause i sure am. :)