(Suggestion) What version are we playing?

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by IM4, May 5, 2022.

1. Ok I am trying to log into EMC but I get a message telling me that I am on the wrong version.
    I am thinking how many people come to EMC for the first time, get this message, can not log in and move on. I tried to tell the staff they need to put the active version in the banner that shows in the launcher so players do not have to guess what version EMC is on.
    W1therRex likes this.
  2. ... 1.18.2
    FadedMartian likes this.
  3. People coming to EMC for the first time will probably be on the latest release, which is what we're on in this case. :)
    W1therRex likes this.
  4. 1.18.2 mc release....
    i've version installed on computer:
    1.12.2 forge
    1.16.5 fabric
    1.14.4 fabric/forge
    1.18.2 fabric
    very old forge/fabric:
    1.10.2 forge
    1.11.2 forge
  5. yeah we suddenly updated to 1.18.2 around new years (i think) and i was just as surprised as you were, cause the update from 1.18 to 1.18.2 wasn't announce officially in its own thread-- unless i missed it :p
  6. NO, NO, NO I know what version we are on now. BUT when anyone starts Minecraft and then gets to the EMC banner there is no version number on that banner. If you try to log onto the EMC server you might get the "wrong version" message and so go back to the EMC login banner. The banner does NOT have any current version on the EMC banner. I think new people might give up and go some where else. I always have to go on a big search to find the current version on the EMC website, it is not intuitive. Please put the current version of EMC on the EMC login banner.
  7. Could you specify what "EMC banner" means. Maybe provide a picture of what you are talking about?
  8. That error message should always provide a link to https://update.emc.gs. That page will always be up-to-date with what version we're on. :)
    FadedMartian and 607 like this.
  9. You can see it here.

Waffle is right.
  10. I have a change in the works for it to show as invalid when you are using less than the supported version of Minecraft.

Example. When you connect with 1.19.1 clients right now - it looks like this.

(yes I know the .0 is cursed)

I believe I can do this fairly easily for lower than supported versions as well. Just need time to tinker with it.
    607 and Tuqueque like this.
  11. Thoughts on this?

Demonstration made with a 1.18.2 client. Top is the current behavior. Bottom RED text would be what would happen
    Open to suggestions on phrasing/formatting/etc.

I tried to see about updating the top-right 0/100. But it seems that section is handled partly by the client, not just custom text sent by the server.
    607, Fred_TWK, JDHallows and 3 others like this.
  12. This is what I am thinking to use.
    UltiPig, 607, w1therrex and 5 others like this.
  13. I personally like it.
  14. Looks great, although regular text is easier to read for me than bold text, and there is little reason to stand out, because there is so little text to begin with. But either would be fine; I personally don't think it's necessary anyway, but it would be a cool quality-of-life feature, and if it doesn't cause any issues... :)
  15. I agree except that the 1st line has Bold Empire Minecraft. So it was my opinion that although visible, I didn't want the version warning as a tertiary in comparison. This at least makes it secondary by putting it on the same level 2nd line.
  16. Maybe a slightly lighter shade of red would help?
  17. I don't think so.
  18. I think that could help. The contrast is currently quite low, it looks like it could be quite close to being a accessibility issue for certain types of colour-blindness.

Actually, I have a few more toughs on it:
    I don't have a proper editor (nor Minecraft) installed on the system I'm typing this, so I cannot test it, but I would think the best approach is to have "WARNING" in the usual red, to properly signify what it is, using the red as a signifier for danger, and then adding the text after it, which can maybe be shortened to "outdated version - use 1.19," without the "client." for this, I quite like the yellow, but I agree that the bold is hard to read, so it should probably be normal or italic. This way, all important text is in a colour that has no accessibility issues.
    My reasoning for the wording is that people either are familiar enough with minecraft to know what this is, by the "version" and "1.19," or they are not, and google "minecraft version 1.19," which immediately leads to good results, wheras the first result for "minecraft client version 1.19" are hack clients. I don't think the word "client" clears anything up for anyone, as you either know what it means, and are quite tech-savvy, and therefore understand it as either trivial or easy enough after a debug, or, more likely, you don't, and it confuses you, and maybe even leads you down the wrong path via google. It adds a slight bit of clarity for people who'll understand it eventually anyway.

Anyway, great idea, would probably clear quite some things up. +1 in any implementation. :)
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.