[Suggestion] Token paid "player events"

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

The turkey season is almost over and unfortunately I only got to enjoy this for a few days due to work (note: I'm not complaining because the time I did get to play was totally awesome!). In fact... I'm even"cheating" a little bit by going a little bit afk on my outpost and already had a few turkeys spawning there, which I plan to chase down later today / tomorrow together with Aya :)

But it did got me thinking...

Suggestion

The whole event centers around players which randomly spawn in an event mob. So: why not allow players to "buy" themselves playtime through the use of tokens?

As soon as you buy playtime you get approx. 30 - 60 minutes worth of "event time" in which at most 2 random event mobs can spawn around you. Not at the same time of course: they can randomly spawn within the time frame, comparable to what we have now.

This would cost you around 10k - 15k tokens.

Right now the only mobs which could apply for this are the Super Turkey and the Blizz, and I don't think it would be a good idea to use them (it would make them less special). But surely you guys got plenty of mob suggestions over time which are better for this?

The way I see it this would solve a few problems...
    • More / better use for tokens.
    • Can help to keep more players entertained and give them a chance to win stuff.
    • Players get to play anywhere they want.
    • Most important: this should be relatively easy to set up.
    This could especially be fun for 'Frontier players' who already heavily rely on enraged mobs to get hold of some extra stuff. Now they can even use their token earnings to start a fun treasure hunt and have a chance of winning some nice gear.

Ideas for gear would be roughly the same as what enraged mobs drop. Apart from dragon stone fragments and vouchers. I'd replace those for some useful 'promo gear', basically items which are comparable to turkey slicers but a little less powerful.

Food for thought?
  2. I like the idea of getting a "boosted spawn rate" for custom mobs in exchange for tokens

Play more to get more... +1
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  3. Although you have good arguments and I could see this opening up the possibility for more custom mobs in the future, something about people that play more getting potentially unfair benefits just seems a bit wrong to me. +0.
    ThaKloned, kaptrix and ShelLuser like this.
  4. -1 nope nope nope
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. you will run into the issue of other players in the area killing the mobs paid for and spawned buy other players creating contention and unhappy players
    607, kaptrix and ShelLuser like this.
  6. 10/10 useful feedback
  7. It gets the point across
    Jelle68 likes this.
  8. Depends. There is already an existing way to prevent this.

If you attack a mob while you're in a group then from that moment on only the players within the group can attack that mob, others will get an error telling them that the mob got claimed and they'll have to wait.

That mechanic could be applied here as well. The very moment the mob spawns it'll get assigned to the player and thus will be "locked" for others. At least for the first moments ;)

(edit)

A very fair point to make. However, do keep in mind that this is already a thing. Take /tbuy, this allows you to purchase AVA launchers for 10k tokens. And those can be sold for solid rupees.

So basically the situation where players who play more gain a somewhat automated advantage is already in effect a bit.
    607, Tuqueque and ChespinLover77 like this.
  9. Of you not wanting / liking the idea, but you never told Shel why you disagree.

As for the suggestion, I think it could potentially be a great idea ^-^/ perhaps emc can implement some new mobs for this suggestion too so it's not limited to just the ones you listed. +1 from me
    607, Gordan_the_Gourd and Tuqueque like this.
  10. I don’t feel like this is a good idea, for the yearlong items will become less special. The Avalauncher is just proof that Aikar is lazy and didn’t remove it (no offense Aikar). Year round token mobs would drastically kill the promo market and their value. -1
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. For me atleast the only real drive to hunt these mobs is the get the tokens they drop. So spending tokens to earn a lot less then what I spent is not very useful to me so
    kaptrix and ShelLuser like this.
  12. no

-aLice
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. I
    I mean technically they are already year round, because mobs are not removed after the event for it. They are left there for people to kill
  14. its true I know players who will gather them each year (not kill them) and just pen them up. so other players cant kill them. I myself have blizzs and superturkeys going back to 2016 still and am putting 2017 ones off to the side for later. its a good way to keep your promo shop instock
  15. I don't like anything about it. There's nothing more for me to say regarding the issue.

also this isn't a suggestion for now mobs, that's been around for a long time now. It's a suggestion for people to pay tokens to get mob spawns.
  16. Actually Shell did mention a slew of potential mob suggestions. in the post which I sourced out from the Original post which is below.
    But your right in the way that this wasn't a suggestion for new mobs but it did lay some ground work for the potential use of those mob suggestions.

17. I just don't like how you can pay to spawn in promo mobs without the thrill of going out into the Mad Max wastelands waiting for one to spawn or find one. I can't say this is a bad suggestion but I just can't say yes to it.
  18. Imo, the only way this would work is if the mob spawned were a new boss mob of some type. So think of it this way: You have to defeat other unique mobs to collect tokens, right? You could then use those tokens to spawn in a 'boss mob' - and that would be the only way to get that new mob.

It would be no different than wither spawning, for example. To get the wither, you have to kill wither skeletons until you have enough wither skulls to spawn the wither. This situation would be no different, where you have to collect enough tokens to afford paying for the spawn of this mob. Then this mob would drop some unique item(s) - something to make it worth however many tokens it cost to spawn the mob, like the nether star for the wither.

Personally though, I wouldn't make it a weapon or armor, we have plenty of that already. I think something like a nether star, a utility item, would make this really interesting.

The only potential issue I see with this is the people who have collected tons of tokens over the past few years, since there is nothing to use them on. They will be able to spawn a bunch of these mobs and collect tons of the unique items. However, I think it is also fair to say that they kind of deserve the ability and right to spawn all of those mobs, since they have been playing for years and have put in the time and effort to collect that many tokens.
    607, ShelLuser and Tuqueque like this.
  19. no
    EmpireMall likes this.