[SUGGESTION] Sleeping Player Percentage to Skip Night

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by jacob5089, May 14, 2020.

1. Because there are many players who afk at farms in the wild, sleeping in a bed to skip the night is nearly impossible if there are multiple people playing on each server. I suggest the addition of a feature that if a certain percentage of people (say 50%, can be determined by staff) are sleeping on the server, the night will skip like it would if all players were sleeping. This would provide an easy way for players who want to skip the night to do so, while also allowing those players who don't want to skip to still have a say in the matter.
  2. I wish this was a thing. I was on smp8 at like 4am the other day and I was the only person on... I got to sleep through 2 nights with no mobs at all... :D
  3. For those that like to fight the 'night' mobs such as phantoms, this could be a problem. Once daylight starts, they burn up and die or don't spawn at all if night time is skipped all together.

Purhaps if there was a way to determine if everyone else was afk or something.
  4. I did think about this, and the players could always ask the server to have a night here or there just to give everyone a chance.
    607 likes this.
  5. This would break a lot of villager mechanics, because they need to sleep within the last day to do things such as restock or summon golems.
  6. Not sure about this since villagers work fine in singleplayer with skipping nights
    607 likes this.
  7. Also could raise some flags for those who want to phantom hunt
  8. Maybe 100% of those who are not afk must sleep.

AFK could be determined by not moving the camera for x amount of minutes (to account for afk pools, etc.)
    wafflecoffee and jacob5089 like this.
  9. I have seen this on another server. I think it was a percentage. But I will eat my hat if it happens here. Gotta love vanilla. Get some good armor, set your difficulty to 1 and fight your way through the night.
    CliffCraft and PetezzaDawg like this.
  10. I like this idea

The reason i like this idea is because afk players make the world so much harder when sleeping cause i have encountered lots of times when everyone else on the server is afk and im the only one not and i am not able to sleep.

^ idk if that made sense its nearly midnight right now when this post posts
    jacob5089 likes this.
  11. How did you play before the update then :p
    PetezzaDawg likes this.
  12. Lots of good discussion so far :)
    607 likes this.
  13. If this would be a thing, then a single person who needs the night for whatever reason should be able to block skipping.

I suggest a command /call-for-sleep or something which can only be issued while in bed.
    It asks all players in the domain (frontier or wastelands) to skip the night. If all active (non-afk) players accept then the night is skipped.
    607 and jacob5089 like this.
  14. At that point why not just ask in server chat if everyone can sleep?

I do think if the only thing preventing sleep is an AFK player then it should skip the night.
  15. Yes ... one would need to switch to server-only chat. Nevertheless, the people in the town would also get it, it would create some confusion. The command would take care to send the message only to the players in that world/dimension and perhaps to make it easy to skip the night without everyone in bed.
  16. If a afk player is on the same world as you how would you get this to work?
  17. The command would send the question to all potentially affected players and wait some time for the answers. If all players that are not afk confirm, then it would set the time of the day. (Instead only a percentage of all players as originally suggested.)
    607 likes this.
  18. lol iv been doing that a few times on smp1 the past week or two. :p And a few times in town I have asked if someone else was in town if they could sleep, teleport to wild etc, or disconnect for a minute then it would change to day most times if they aren't afk it works.

As for people wanting to fight mobs at night like phantoms etc shouldn't be that bad if someone asks. Back when we updated it was a pain looking for sunken ships when it was night time so I would usually just disconnect for a few minutes or so or go to another server to do stuff while waiting for daytime to come.
    jacob5089 and 607 like this.
  19. I don't like the idea of percentages or player settings effecting the number of people required to sleep for the day-night cycle.

I think being considered afk by the system is a valid improvement though. I think this is easy to do. The next update may include this improvement.
  20. I am also not so fond of the idea of using percentages. Try to imagine a situation in which the percentage of people who wants to keep the night is just too low, or the percentage of people who wants to skip it. That will probably raise tension (expect pm's from players saying "please click [option]").
    I do think not considering afk players would be an improvement, though. :) In addition to not considering people in town, in case that's not already the case. And @Bugsy: we already have an afk detector, so it wouldn't need to be programmed for this issue. ;)
    M4ster_M1ner and jacob5089 like this.