[Suggestion] Set up an IP registration for family members

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi gang!

Disclaimer: the idea behind this suggestion originally comes from KnightZer0ne:

Events & Alts (a short explanation)

An Alt is basically an extra Minecraft account which is operated by the same player. Having and using alts is perfectly accepted by EMC and for some of us it provides a new of playing. This can seriously vary from having someone remain afk at a farm so that the area of the farm remains loaded and active (= crops grow) while the player himself is playing elsewhere, some players use alts to get hold of extra promotional items (/promo command) and/or to be used as some kind of piggy bank (save up rupees by dumping them on your alt), others use alts to go out mining which gives them a lot more extra storage space, and some even use alts to play "undercover" on the Empire.

Unfortunately this can sometimes also create problems. For example: if someone is holding a giveaway on the forums then players who have alts could theoretically enter multiple times and thus raise their chances of winning. There are no official rules against it, but it's not exactly fair play either. Do note: most players who I know to have (lots of) alts don't do this. But there are those who do. And the counter arguments are true: there's nothing in the rules which forbids it, so why get upset about it? Yeah well.... You figure that out ;)

As a result most player held events exclude the usage of alts and in most official EMC events these alts are also not allowed from entering (there are usually no penalties, but an entry won't be used).

The problem

There are plenty of families on the Empire where multiple people play on the Empire from the same household. So basically they're all playing from the same location (same IP address). The problem is that the #1 way for the Empire staff to recognize an alt is... When multiple accounts play from the same IP address.

Example: When I bring my alt GripCEO online there will be 2 players who have the same IP address. So that's obvious; GripCEO is my alt afterall. But when KnightZer0ne comes online with his children (Superi0n and LadyJaye) then it also looks that way. And yeah, those aren't his alts (well, maybe sort off ;)).

My suggestion

Set up a (senior) staff service which allows for family members to register themselves as individual players. Players would have to perform a small series of tests which would make it obvious to the senior staff that they're different people. I could also imagine senior staff using their cloaking capabilities to randomly check up on such a request during regular gameplay without anyone being aware of their presence.

This would make it more fun and most of all more fair towards those families.
    CDJS, synth_apparition, 607 and 3 others like this.
  2. +1, I like this idea.
  3. +1. This would actually be useful to me.
  4. +1

That's a massive amount of additional work for our poor Senior Staffers though, so maybe Moderators could also play a role in this as well.
  5. We are currently already in discussion for a system to 'register' families so that IP limited events are not an issue. We'll post when we have something solid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.