[SUGGESTION] Retro Empire

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by KnightZer0ne, Jul 23, 2018.

1. I did not see any other previously mentioned suggestions along these lines, so I will toss this one out there for consideration. After the recent technical hiccup with regards to server backups, I was made aware that the Empire actually does a backup everyday of our server. I do not know how long they keep these files, but had the idea that it could prove to be an interesting option to provide a flashback to previous states of the Empire's existence.

Okay, so that may not have been worded the best, but essentially, like unto the Time Capsule Event held once a year on SMP2 where people can bury items, and then take a look at them the following year, this idea would be a snapshot of the Town in which players could re-visit the past. Personally, I have always heard about how things were so great in the early years from the really old-timers, and it would be cool if there were a way to visit those towns and see the builds of years gone by: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015...

So the idea would be to have an event to create a snapshot in time which everyone would be made aware of, so that if they need to sweep their porch, they can get stuff like that done beforehand. Then hold an event which could truly tie into the Time Capsule event if Staff wanted to just simply expound upon that and use that particular date for reference. Then basically do a special backup for future re-exploration. While the initial thought was to possibly have these available all the time, I know that would be very resource intensive, but after thinking more on this, it could possibly be that the day after the time capsule day would be Retro Day, in which the developers take us back in time, and the entire town on all SMP's have gone back to a previous year for exploration.

Well, I don't claim to have cornered the market on this idea, I did want to share what I had come up with, and look forward to what others think, and also how it could be polished and improved upon to become something fun. I have also considered this format could be used for foreshadowing upcoming content, as if we were to time travel to the future for a day, in which we are basically beta testing for the developers. I look forward to your comments, and have a great Empire Day.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  2. World files aren't kept for longer than about 7 days.
    fBuilderS likes this.
  3. Such an amazing idea!

+1 for sure
  4. +1

This idea follows another idea shared by some player(s?) about event builds. It would definitely be cool to have those made available for access just to look around 'm as well.

Although, in all honesty, I do think that the target audience could be rather small. Not everyone seems to be interested in the past of something (I honestly consider myself lucky to have learned as much about EMC's past as I have, both the good and the bad parts). Still... it would definitely be cool, and something I'd eventually visit for sure.
    PhoenixAffinity and FadedMartian like this.