[SUGGESTION] Remove Older Names From /P

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by kaptrix, Feb 2, 2017.

1. I've been meaning to suggest this for a while, but I kept forgetting. When name changing became an option about a couple years ago, I changed the name because it was my son's old account and I wanted a more feminine sounding name. Even though that happened a couple years ago, people can still check and see what my name used to be. It isn't a huge deal, but I would like to suggest that previous names drop off the information listed under /p after 6 months or so. I've talked about it in game and a lot of people agree with me. Maybe you chose a stupid name or had a name for a shop you no longer have. Maybe you just don't want people to see what your name used to be. If this is possible, I think it should be implemented. Thanks for reading :)
  2. Then I'd be infinitely confused about Dufne/Dufne... Also, what if people who come back from a while don't recognize their old friends or players who've changed their names?
  3. Your past names will always be public with just a quick check on namemc.com so removing them from the /p won't make a difference in if you don't want it public.
    kaptrix and ShelLuser like this.
  4. I didn't realize there was a site lol. I still see the appeal in it on EMC though, as someone who doesn't use other servers. It takes a lot more effort to open a tab and go to a completely separate site than to just type /p.

People will always be confused about them because they change their names and alts' names monthly lol. I get what you're saying about old friends, but if you aren't in contact for over 6 months, are you really friends?
    BlinkyBinky likes this.
  5. +1 for me.
    kaptrix likes this.
  6. Those are for people who would even bother to do so.
    If you are just looking for general information, people may want to hide their previous names.

If I were xXx_pr0destryer_xXx_MLG and I grew up and changed my name, I wouldn't want people to see how cringe my previous name was so easily. I would rather them go out of their way to find such a thing.
  7. +9001 if this is made as a /ps option.
  8. as long as it doesnt remove the feature of searching for old names...
    Example:
    when you do /p oldFriend's name it takes you to their /p page. As long a this feature remains im fine with it
  9. Sorry but -1 from me. It's your fault if you chose a name you regret now. You can't erase your mistakes. Besides, as Krysyy said, the information is still public.

I do have an old name I regret. 'FullyWitherDog' is a name I highly regert, but I'm stuck with that mistake, but no one brings it up.

I highly doubt people do /p on someone just to see what names they had ages ago. If I'm not mistaken, names go in chronological order so your old names will be organized by date.

All in all, there is no need for this. The past is the past. Why erase it?
    kaptrix likes this.
  10. +1

;)
    Erasing a name isn't like removing something important from a textbook. There's not really a negative outcome here. Imo you're overthinking it.
    kaptrix and UltiPig like this.
  11. -1

I hate to disagree. I know how you feel kaprtix. But I like the ability to see old names in case there are signs in the wild with a name that isn't a current player or heads that belonged to players who have changed names. Being able to look up an old name and find the current name is valuable and saves having to do it through the Mojang site.
    kaptrix likes this.
  12. I think this is a good idea, but maybe just with people who have changed their names more than three times or something, and maybe leaving the original name. I get the frustration with doing /p and having a ton of names coming up and filling up your chat bar. So I kind of agree with this, but not getting rid of the original name.
    kaptrix likes this.
  13. Won't be a problem. If I player logs in all lock signs update with their new name
    kaptrix likes this.
  14. Then we'd have to keep changing to confuse you even more ;)
    kaptrix likes this.
  15. Yeah, I don't mean functional signs. I just mean signs that refer to players. If a player does not have visible locked signs or anything but has a sign mentioning who made something, it's hard if they did a name change. The sign won't update.
    EmpireMall and kaptrix like this.
  16. -1, There are many players who change their name, and by doing /p their old name, it links to their new one... Sorry but i cant see much from this...
    kaptrix likes this.
  17. Is it even physically possible at this point???
    kaptrix likes this.
  18. I've never changed my name. But I'm going to give this a ++ because One chooses to change their name and perhaps their identity too. If all someone need do is /p to see the former of someone. It defeats the purpose of change.
    kaptrix likes this.
  19. I actually want the opposite of this, you see i used to play on a variety of servers i had COMPLETELY different names on, and maybe some of the people from there woul recognize a name of mine, so id like to add my old names to /p

Names (original-current)
    budderdude55
    BlockOfBudder
    ZplayzMC
    ImNotHerobrine
    Hearobrine
    dunderscore
    Nubnubnuberscrub
    Exexunderscore
    kaptrix likes this.
  20. +1.

Someone took my username at one point, so /p ultimamaxx *cringe* would show someone that used to troll me. Let's say an old player comes back, and is like, "I wonder if Ultimamaxx is still active," (which is highly unlikely) and he/she types /p Ultimamaxx to see that I'm derelict.

kaptrix and BlinkyBinky like this.