[Suggestion] Remove grief protection from blocks placed by former / dormant members

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Cyberiad, Jul 26, 2019.

1. One side-effect of the grief prevention plugin that I've noticed is that sometimes the following happens;
    • A player attempts to grief your wilderness base / nether connection tunnels, or whatever, and you get a notification.
    • Going there, it's often apparent that as well as trying to destroy stuff, they've added stuff too (pillaring up to higher levels, for example)
    • Reporting the griefing can get them warned / banned or whatever, but getting the griefing undone can be a bit more challenging, and seems to depend on being lucky enough to find an obliging mod who has a bit of free time.
    So, I was wondering whether it might be possible to do any of the following;

• Remove grief protection from blocks placed by former members - this means that anyone who's been banned can have their mess tidied up.
    • Maybe remove grief protection from blocks placed by members who have been inactive for more than a certain amount of time (6-9 months, for example).
  2. We've discussed this in the past, with particular the removal of block protection if a player is banned.

This was the result of said discussion:

Some players who are banned or are inactive helped to build large multi-player communites/outposts. Some have their protection covering the entirety of that outpost's main areas. If we auto-remove these protections, it leads to the lack of protection for these areas, and leaves them vulnerable. For this reason we have so far elected NOT to auto-unprotect banned/inactive player blocks.

HOWEVER, we do have staff unprotecting blocks on a case-by-case basis. All staff should be willing to unprotect blocks if they fit the criteria of a banned player who griefed, or an inactive player's blocks in the way of your build. Now that being said, they won't go around and unprotect without reason. So make sure you give them as much information as possible. If any of them refuse, please send me the information and I can review the staff's actions, because all staff should be responding the same and it is a part of their duties as staff.
    HazardousCode likes this.
  3. Hi, thank you for the clear and comprehensive response. Everything you say makes sense to me.

I did try to get some protections undone with one of the staff a while back, but apparently she stopped being staff before getting my message with the coordinates of the blocks that need removing (there's only a relatively small few of them in the Nether near Frontier West on SMP4). And I'm not sure why, but there very seldom seems to be any staff on when I'm playing - maybe to do with locations, I guess.

Would it be ok to message a member of staff on the forum with the details (as opposed to trying to find them in-game)?
  4. Absolutely. That's one of the best ways to get in touch.