[Suggestion] Player Welcome

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by CaptainFoxy_, May 25, 2020.

?

A good Idea?

Sure 4 vote(s) 80.0%
Nah 1 vote(s) 20.0%
Opinion (chat below 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Seems like the chat gets flooded twice for welcoming new players on community chat...

My suggestion is to welcome players AFTER they complete the tutorial and removing the first message entirely Or removing the "player has completed tutorial" message. Any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated, thanks!
    SkeleTin007, Pab10S, 607 and 2 others like this.
  2. Watching thread as I'm mixed on this idea. Would like to see other's opinions.
    jewael_king and ConductorConduit like this.
  3. I think it's the fault of the system currently in place on EMC. It notifies everyone on all of EMC right as soon as they connect that they are new, then it says right when they complete the tutorial.

I believe an either/or change to the current system in place would be good.
  4. Welcoming after the tutorial, was in place for many years, and got adjusted for a reason, with an update:
    Misc Bug Fixes Update - 4/24/18
    So I suppose, it's just how it is meant to be, one message on a new player joining and another one (that we have had since early days) at the completion of tutorial.

If for my personal opinion, I do find it good the way it is. The first notification, when a new player starts the tutorial, is more noticeable on chat, whereas, the tutorial completion message isn't actually as noticeable/interfering, but still lets to follow up, if the said player actually completed the tutorial.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Cool to know when they updated but again to have two messages and the thought of. Having "incentive" to finish doesn't justify a two welcome system. If they don't finish tutorial, it was never meant to be. The tutorial is quite easy to finish compared to the last one talking way back in the day. If you argue it's not, then I would argue how you would fit all the features into a neat package as it stands now?

That was before we had community chat and those messages were isolated to just 1 server, I do remember those days. They were, "player has started tutorial" afterwards when they finished, "player has finished tutorial Please give a warm welcome to Player." Which was fine and the 2nd line only broadcast is my suggestion

A grand welcoming after they finish tutorial (to me) sounds very awarding to new players, goes back to my point that if they don't finish tutorial, well they weren't committed in the first place
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  6. Aikar's quote from the update thread was more of a response to Joy_the_Miner, since they thought it might be a fault in EMC's system, that we have 2 of messages in the first place.
    As cool as it is, to know when EMC updated, it is even more cool to know why it was added.

Whether it does or doesn't justify 2 welcome message system, is probably something, we as players, can't really tell, without access to those tutorial ratio numbers.
    It is hard to believe, anyone ever connects to a new server, with a thought in mind to "never finish the tutorial". There may be many reasons for why they didn't, and again we won't know those reasons, unless we have a way to ask it to them.
    But more often than not, being welcomed stright away, encourages to engage with the rest of community early on, and to feel open to ask a question, if there is a struggle. Or just in general, gives a good impression of a welcoming and accepting community. If anything, since having global community chat, there is more chance of someone in the community to greet and welcome the player in tutorial, which is awesome IMO.
    Your suggestion isn't about tutorial itself, thus I don't see a reason, why it is brought up here and asked to argue about.

If anything, I could agree, welcoming the same player twice is kinda.. odd. Maybe those messages need some rephrasing? The first being the "please welcome player x" and the second being the "please congratulate player x"?
    And maybe, if it is any feasible, a feature to adjust chat settings and to turn those notifications off altogether, for those players who do feel annoyed so much by them :p

In either case, this post and my previous post was just as it is, my personal opinion and could of been left as such. You don't like having 2 welcoming messages, I do feel they do help when it comes to new players, and that's it. Nothing to argue about.
  7. Aikar responded to this thread? Where? I'm confused... :confused:
  8. Ah I see, I misread your post, thanks for the clearing-up. :)

I'm still siding with Conductor on this. I believe a message when they log in and a message when they finish the tutorial is a bit much. In fact, I've seen players (a few on this server and on other servers) who do not like being welcomed, twice in a row. --- I do not blame them because who wants their chat spammed with messages from multiple people saying almost the same thing, twice?

That's just my thoughts on this matter, I don't think anyone would like that, I know I wouldn't.
    ConductorConduit and 607 like this.
  9. Yeah, I was confused by this too, as I recalled reading shortly after the community chat update that this would be resolved. :confused: I don't remember where, though, and I might have misinterpreted it or I might misremember it.
    Can members in the tutorial at least send chat messages, now? I think they didn't use to be able to. :p
    I am in favour of having only the message that is now sent second. But I don't know what it's like to be a new player. :)
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  10. So I can't help but wonder... can new players even read the chat when they just enter the tutorial? Because I have it from good sources (one of Aya's new EMC friends) that your chat is kinda blank when you first enter.

Now, there could be a difference between landing on EMC and then starting in the tutorial but if I am not mistaken Aya's friend never recalled getting any welcomes (for whatever that's worth of course, for all we know they came online in a quiet period).
    ConductorConduit and 607 like this.
  11. I confirmed that you are, in fact, able to see chat during the tutorial.

I logged in with my alt account, and I was even able to communicate with others in chat.
    ConductorConduit, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  12. One you didn't use on EMC before I assume (just making sure)? Awesome, now we can use this info to determine from which continent Aya's friend most likely originates from :D
  13. Sorry I was late to your reply but I just wanted to make a quick few pointers...
    The only reason I brought it up is the reason why they probably added/updated welcoming new players this in the first place. That was my initial argument on my snip and deeming that unnecessary due to the tutorial being easier than past tutorials.

But then again I can be wrong on that reason, hence why I brought it up.
    I'm not sure that having the option to removing "welcome player" announcement is such a good idea, as you stated
    So having the ability to welcome new players as a default is fine, just not the extra two welcome messages. ;)

Hell, I would even argue to just remove the "player has completed tutorial" and just leave the other one in tact and as you were saying,
    So there is a little playroom for my suggestion to remove at least one of those lines
  14. Hm, there is something to say for that, indeed! The main reason I wait to welcome until the player has completed the tutorial is that players often drop out during the tutorial. If this would be because the player is missing interaction, that would be a reason to welcome them earlier. However, I think it is more likely that players dropping out while doing the tutorial realise that this server isn't for them (for example, maybe they want pvp and/or factions). In that case, welcoming them wouldn't do any good, I think.